R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Nitro or E?

Well alot of guys seem to be goin E and im thinking of going there to and cutting nitro. Im thinkin convert my D8 with the new Tekno rc v4 conversion kit which allows mechanical servo braking and the works. Also for ESC and motor goin 2650kv combo i would go tekin but im on a budget. Also for battery im wantin a protek lipo 50c 14.8v 5600mah(roar approved). Now my question is why stay nitro when you can plug and go? I have great luck on nitro but i dont like buying fuel when i can just buy a bettery. I also dont like a mess nitro leavs on my car after a main when a pit man spills. Do you think this set up will be nice?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...D8-42mm-Motors

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2650kV

Now what will i need as far as pinions, clutch. Im new to 1/8 e and need help on gearing/diff setup etc.

I will post in both nitro and electric forums so PLEASE MODS KEEP THIS SO I CAN GET ALL THE ANSWERS I NEED TO MAKE MY CHOICE.

Thanks, Nitro
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Well alot of guys seem to be goin E and im thinking of going there to and cutting nitro. Im thinkin convert my D8 with the new Tekno rc v4 conversion kit which allows mechanical servo braking and the works. Also for ESC and motor goin 2650kv combo i would go tekin but im on a budget. Also for battery im wantin a protek lipo 50c 14.8v 5600mah(roar approved). Now my question is why stay nitro when you can plug and go? I have great luck on nitro but i dont like buying fuel when i can just buy a bettery. I also dont like a mess nitro leavs on my car after a main when a pit man spills. Do you think this set up will be nice?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...D8-42mm-Motors

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2650kV

Now what will i need as far as pinions, clutch. Im new to 1/8 e and need help on gearing/diff setup etc.

I will post in both nitro and electric forums so PLEASE MODS KEEP THIS SO I CAN GET ALL THE ANSWERS I NEED TO MAKE MY CHOICE.

Thanks, Nitro






i think you would get a better answer in the electric offroad section you know us nitro guys are bias
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i think you would get a better answer in the electric offroad section you know us nitro guys are bias
I stated in bottom i will post in both and i also asked for answers from both sides, i know what im doing i just want others input.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

you cant go wrong with the tekno kit.. huge bang for your buck.

In a Eguy because i like it simple.. that being said i dont like the idea of the extra parts with the clutch and brakes.. i run mine with the motor brakes and no clutch.

but if you are a nitro guy you might not like the feel of the motor brakes
__________________
Hyper 9/MMM 2200KV/7955Tg
XR10/M2 DIG/7955Tg
MBX6T/Tekno V4/MMM 1800KV/7955Tg
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
you cant go wrong with the tekno kit.. huge bang for your buck.

In a Eguy because i like it simple.. that being said i dont like the idea of the extra parts with the clutch and brakes.. i run mine with the motor brakes and no clutch.

but if you are a nitro guy you might not like the feel of the motor brakes
i hate motor brakes. They are to locking it seems and seems rough. I want center diff breaks just like a nitro but im thinking pinion to motor and no clutches. I really want the v4 so i have brakes like nitro. But i am also a sc racer and like the e braking but i think i would like the feel of nitro braking and control in air. When i drive a 1/8 e it always seemed if u were nose high in air and hit brakes it seemed to just nose dove. with nitro brakes it was tap pull type and i like that way more.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

I prefere Rc monster trays and Elite RC motor mounts. Especially with cars like the Xray, Mugen, and Hotbodies. Techno and disc brake setups are completely obsolete, and heavy.

You need to set brake expo and Esc's up properly. Teken Esc's work best for me, much smoother than MMM. The nice thing about E brakes is they lose power as the car slows, a perfect antilock effect when tuned proper. I think an E cars braking ability is an even bigger advantage than, it's added torque. We can build more powerful nitro cars, but our brakes still are a pain to tune.

I run E and Nitro, but mostly E becasue it's more relaxing, and because NE Ohio dirt sucks. We only have dust and mud, rarely do we we have a clean surface to race on. Rarely a tacky, or nice SE style clay like surface outdoors.

So airfilter and clutch wear kinda stinks. It's easier to run E unless it's a big race.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
i hate motor brakes. They are to locking it seems and seems rough. I want center diff breaks just like a nitro but im thinking pinion to motor and no clutches. I really want the v4 so i have brakes like nitro. But i am also a sc racer and like the e braking but i think i would like the feel of nitro braking and control in air. When i drive a 1/8 e it always seemed if u were nose high in air and hit brakes it seemed to just nose dove. with nitro brakes it was tap pull type and i like that way more.
i always set my ESC with some drag brake, this way if its nose up i just let off and the drag brake makes the nose come down.. again its a feel thing some guys would hate it.
__________________
Hyper 9/MMM 2200KV/7955Tg
XR10/M2 DIG/7955Tg
MBX6T/Tekno V4/MMM 1800KV/7955Tg
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
i always set my ESC with some drag brake, this way if its nose up i just let off and the drag brake makes the nose come down.. again its a feel thing some guys would hate it.
Yeah i have heard of this to. But i think im still goin v4 from reading its all 50/50 weighted for cg etc. Also its not much more than the v3 and i already have the servos from my nitro kit so cant hurt plus it would look more fancy lol. Now the e forum said the mtor is over powered and i thought that to so im ganna go 2050 now.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
polarisrider44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apollo, PA
Posts: 459
Default

yeah thats a pretty good idea i run E and nitro but i still personally would rather run nitro then listen to that squeaky electric motor
polarisrider44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Tech Addict
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

well with the tekno you can try any combo, what does a Rc monster tray and Elite mount cost?

for 125$ you get a ton from tekno, and the new V4 puts the lipo nice and centered. and you dont have a ton of extra holes in the chassis fromthe nitro stuff.
__________________
Hyper 9/MMM 2200KV/7955Tg
XR10/M2 DIG/7955Tg
MBX6T/Tekno V4/MMM 1800KV/7955Tg
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
well with the tekno you can try any combo, what does a Rc monster tray and Elite mount cost?

for 125$ you get a ton from tekno, and the new V4 puts the lipo nice and centered. and you dont have a ton of extra holes in the chassis fromthe nitro stuff.
Also why not get good cvds unlike hb's who fall apart and also get a lighter milled chassis right? Also get a specific conversion not a tray and mount.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
well with the tekno you can try any combo, what does a Rc monster tray and Elite mount cost?

for 125$ you get a ton from tekno, and the new V4 puts the lipo nice and centered. and you dont have a ton of extra holes in the chassis fromthe nitro stuff.
It cost's about the same depending on model.

I'm not familiar with the V4, but the Technos I have driven had the motor mounted like a nitro engine. That meant that the pinion and spur were not connected to the same solid piece of metal, and chassis flex effected gear mesh like on a nitro. That lead to some noisey chipped up gears, just like nitro, only you can hear it. The Elite mount and a set of fresh gears is very quite.

The older T's I drove were heavy as well.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

they still use the same mount, but if it works for nitros it should work for this? i never hear the nitro guys say the flex is bad the wau they are mounted


__________________
Hyper 9/MMM 2200KV/7955Tg
XR10/M2 DIG/7955Tg
MBX6T/Tekno V4/MMM 1800KV/7955Tg
Dnano
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Marcus Falconie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,462
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

1/8 electric is dead
__________________
Marcus Falconieri
2011 Xray 808
Torco Racing Fuels
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
1/8 electric is dead
true but im racing 1/8 as a club driver not looking to exceed from 1/8 also by me its growing to more and more it seems lately.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotbodies d8t artr fs/ft for a nice sc truck or e buggy snowman6869 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 09-22-2010 04:40 AM
E-MAXX OR E-REVO? gulfexports159 Monster Trucks 51 09-18-2009 05:45 PM
E-Savage or E-Maxx lethal19 Monster Trucks 28 12-09-2008 11:00 PM
wtb or trade for xxx-4 or e-maxx pcnutz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 12-29-2002 10:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net