R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   LOSI 8IGHT 2.0 RTR reviews (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/460288-losi-8ight-2-0-rtr-reviews.html)

Fortega95 12-09-2010 07:03 PM

LOSI 8IGHT 2.0 RTR reviews

Im getting ready to get the losi 8 2.0 rtr. Let me know what you think of it and if it will handel the same way as the race roller thanks

jwm2 12-09-2010 09:26 PM

Can't go wrong with the rtr. It'll get you as far as your skill will take you. You'll of course want new servos pretty quickly, but otherwise its rock solid and performs well. I don't really notice much of a difference (handling wise) between them (race roller vs rtr) to be honest.

You'll want a quick 100oz servo <.15 transit time for the throttle and brake, and a 150+ oz servo for the steering.

Sein 12-09-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jwm2 (Post 8322754)
Can't go wrong with the rtr. It'll get you as far as your skill will take you. You'll of course want new servos pretty quickly, but otherwise its rock solid and performs well. I don't really notice much of a difference (handling wise) between them (race roller vs rtr) to be honest.

You'll want a quick 100oz servo <.15 transit time for the throttle and brake, and a 150+ oz servo for the steering.

+1 I don't have both but I do have the rtr and, when I drive real smooth, I can run just as fast as all the fast guys at my track. I'm the only one with an rtr though. Like jwm2 said, it's as good as the driver who is driving it.

I upgraded the servos and put a turbo head on the 454 with an re11 pipe and it is golden. The servos, no matter what, you will have to upgrade but everything else you don't really need.

The 454 has a very strong pinch from the factory and it takes, at the very least, 1.5 gallons to fully break in. Mind did not "drop it's nuts" till about 3 gallons in. I am starting my 5th gallon right now and the piston will still push the sleeve out of the block at TDC, with cooling head and head button off.

You will want to change the clutch once you start racing. It has a real high stall (engages late). You'll want to go with a softer setup. That 454 has a lot of torque and you will get better traction with the softer (earlier) clutch engagement.

Here is a vid of mine on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8v242zc2Y

inferno13 12-10-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sein (Post 8322835)
+1 I don't have both but I do have the rtr and, when I drive real smooth, I can run just as fast as all the fast guys at my track. I'm the only one with an rtr though. Like jwm2 said, it's as good as the driver who is driving it.

I upgraded the servos and put a turbo head on the 454 with an re11 pipe and it is golden. The servos, no matter what, you will have to upgrade but everything else you don't really need.

The 454 has a very strong pinch from the factory and it takes, at the very least, 1.5 gallons to fully break in. Mind did not "drop it's nuts" till about 3 gallons in. I am starting my 5th gallon right now and the piston will still push the sleeve out of the block at TDC, with cooling head and head button off.

You will want to change the clutch once you start racing. It has a real high stall (engages late). You'll want to go with a softer setup. That 454 has a lot of torque and you will get better traction with the softer (earlier) clutch engagement.

Here is a vid of mine on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8v242zc2Y

your 2.0 buggy came with a 454?:weird:, mine came with a 350.
i have the rtr buggy and ran it last year with no issues at all, i did change out the servos the day i received it from UPS. i went with xp1015 servos. the rtr only comes with 2 clutch shoes installed, will have to add two more, (i thought that was odd). but over all very happy with it, this year i will be running a GO GX7R in it. good luck!

jwm2 12-10-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 8323620)
your 2.0 buggy came with a 454?:weird:, mine came with a 350.
i have the rtr buggy and ran it last year with no issues at all, i did change out the servos the day i received it from UPS. i went with xp1015 servos. the rtr only comes with 2 clutch shoes installed, will have to add two more, (i thought that was odd). but over all very happy with it, this year i will be running a GO GX7R in it. good luck!

He's reffering to a 8-t 2.0 which is the only vehicle to come with a 454. The 1.0 buggy and truggy both came with the 427 which was too big for the buggy and too small for the truggy.

inferno13 12-10-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jwm2 (Post 8323972)
He's reffering to a 8-t 2.0 which is the only vehicle to come with a 454. The 1.0 buggy and truggy both came with the 427 which was too big for the buggy and too small for the truggy.

ah, gotchya!

Sein 12-10-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 8324010)
ah, gotchya!

Yea my bad. Wasn't paying attention to the thread title.

inferno13 12-10-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sein (Post 8324289)
Yea my bad. Wasn't paying attention to the thread title.

LOL... i was going to say, cant imagine a 454 in a buggy! thing would be CRAZY!! LOL

jwm2 12-10-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 8324294)
LOL... i was going to say, cant imagine a 454 in a buggy! thing would be CRAZY!! LOL

It wouldn't be as powerful as the 5 port you had in yours just a short time ago. The 454 isn't a destination mill, its a starter engine. Thats why you don't see them in anything but the rtr. If they were great racing motors you'd see alot of folks putting them into the race rollers instead of the $300-500 motors going into them now.

inferno13 12-10-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jwm2 (Post 8324578)
It wouldn't be as powerful as the 5 port you had in yours just a short time ago. The 454 isn't a destination mill, its a starter engine. Thats why you don't see them in anything but the rtr. If they were great racing motors you'd see alot of folks putting them into the race rollers instead of the $300-500 motors going into them now.

TRUE!!!!

sluggo_sx8 12-11-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by jwm2 (Post 8324578)

If the 454 wasn't such a pig on fuel it would a awesome motor. My sons was faster then any .21 on the track at any time. The prob was it had way to much power and was way to hard on fuel and to hard to control. Even with a soft clutch setup and a different carb (7.5mm insert) I could only get 9min and that is being very soft on the throttle. Soon as I put a .21 in his truggy his driving improved huge cause the power was way more controlable. Just remember the stock bearings are junk and should be changed before or at 2 gallons.

Over all the losi rtr's are awesome to get you started and if you are only club racing will do everything you need them to do. The servos are junk and will fail. If you are learning and crash alot you will break shock caps so you may want to upgrade to the metal ones. Drive the crap out of it and replace stuff as it wears and breaks with roller parts.

lanmine657 12-11-2010 07:17 AM

the losi rtr is not your average rtr car, after a few upgrades you can have a car that will be as good if not identical to a race roller. The 350 is great motor and will have plenty of life(12-14gallons+) if u take care of it and has plenty of power to keep up with those high end motors. the name of the game is consistancy not speed or power. I have an upgraded rtr and by no means am i at a disadvantage against a race roller. Unless you are racing adam drake every weekend the rtr is the way to go. Upgrade the servos to hitech 7955, EU shock caps with dampers, adjustible hinge pin braces and set the car up as per adam drake set up sheet on the losi website. Once you have done those set ups the only reason that car cant win will be the driver!!

madweazl 12-17-2010 08:10 AM

I have the buggy and truggy and have been very happy with both. I did the turbo head conversion and run a GRP (2056 I believe) on the 350 with the RE11 on the 454. The front bearing on the 350 has started leak (probably has 3-4 gallons on it) but it still runs great (I ran the GRP for a while but went back to the 350). The 454 is very strong with the turbo head and RE11. I can almost get 10 mins out of the 350 with a good tune but havent been able to pull that with the 454 (about a minute less with it; blocks removed from tanks in both).

Out of the box I went with LiPo rx pack and Hitec servos (love them!). I never broke a shock cap but did replace all 4 on the buggy as they started to wear at the eye. Have the aluminum caps for the truggy but it doesnt have much run time so the stock units are still in good shape (just been to lazy to install them).

I dont think I've broken a single part on either. I remember bending a shock tower on the buggy (replaced with Race Roller parts). Oh, I did have a shock standoff break on the truggy before it even hit the track (dropped it on the pit table and it broke); I'm guessing it was over tightened at the manufacturer. Been very happy with both of them but I'm in the market for something new to play with now.

gregsbox 12-20-2010 07:33 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld46dfntBO1qawe9y.jpg
Check it out here