R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default New Nitro RC Buggy From Scratch

Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it . So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paldude View Post
Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it . So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.
That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.
dmusgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusgrave View Post
That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.
would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paldude View Post
would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?
Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.
dmusgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusgrave View Post
Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.
Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paldude View Post
Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?
All of them are capable of winning races

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.
dmusgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusgrave View Post
All of them are capable of winning races

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.
thancks for your help.
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusgrave View Post
All of them are capable of winning races

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.
TLR is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion

Last edited by token; 02-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
Awe I like the rollers, but I agree they have made me lazy. I do enjoy building the kit myself from the ground up that way I know whats in it, but with 2 kids and a wife well time is precious.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
fatdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
TLR
__________________
HPI Racing - Hot Bodies - D8 Army!
**Team Terribles** (Answer RC, Fastlane Graphix, Caster racing, M2C Racing, and Dialed Inc!)
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default

thank you everyone
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Locum51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I think the biggest thing in designing any new kit(s) is having the resources to create different or new parts. Ex: CNC mill and/or lathe, Pressure mold(s), etc, etc.
Locum51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
supercross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London UK
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paldude View Post
Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it . So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.
luckily for you somebody has already just done all that

you can read about it here - JQ Products - THE Car

plus read the development stories on his site, they contain plenty of information on the development & testing phases
__________________
Adam Lewis - JQ Design - JQ Products - SMD - LMR - oOple - MutinyRC -
supercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
Brian C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Twain Harte, Ca
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
I could be mistaken but in the TLR video I watched they said all would be kits except for the 8 and 8T. They were still going to be race rollers.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Thanks everyone.
Paldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini/Micro RC S-T-R-l-K-E-R Manila Racers 7365 06-03-2017 06:16 PM
Millennium RaceWorld RC-Rockford, IL MillRaceWorld Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 404 08-11-2010 11:58 AM
Huge Sale!!! Priced to Move!!! Nitro and Electric!!! DavidR R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 62 04-17-2009 08:50 PM
Melbourne Track and Hobby Center under new management!! xray_fk05 Australian Racing 105 12-27-2005 11:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:47 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net