R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   New Nitro RC Buggy From Scratch (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/459769-new-nitro-rc-buggy-scratch.html)

Paldude 12-08-2010 08:04 AM

New Nitro RC Buggy From Scratch

Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it :D. So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.

dmusgrave 12-08-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Paldude (Post 8314522)
Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it :D. So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.

That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.

Paldude 12-08-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dmusgrave (Post 8314541)
That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.

would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?

dmusgrave 12-08-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Paldude (Post 8314553)
would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?

Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.

Paldude 12-08-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dmusgrave (Post 8314660)
Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.

Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?

dmusgrave 12-08-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Paldude (Post 8314989)
Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?

All of them are capable of winning races :)

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.

Paldude 12-08-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dmusgrave (Post 8315021)

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.

thancks for your help.

token 12-08-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dmusgrave (Post 8315021)

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.

TLR is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.

Frank L 12-08-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by token (Post 8315066)
TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.

Awe I like the rollers, but I agree they have made me lazy. I do enjoy building the kit myself from the ground up that way I know whats in it, but with 2 kids and a wife well time is precious.

fatdaddy 12-08-2010 11:35 AM

TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.

TLR ;)

Paldude 12-09-2010 06:45 AM

thank you everyone

Locum51 12-09-2010 01:17 PM

I think the biggest thing in designing any new kit(s) is having the resources to create different or new parts. Ex: CNC mill and/or lathe, Pressure mold(s), etc, etc.

supercross 12-09-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Paldude (Post 8314522)

luckily for you somebody has already just done all that :nod:

you can read about it here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ducts-car.html

plus read the development stories on his site, they contain plenty of information on the development & testing phases :tire:

Brian C 12-09-2010 02:04 PM

I could be mistaken but in the TLR video I watched they said all would be kits except for the 8 and 8T. They were still going to be race rollers.

Paldude 02-15-2011 02:28 AM

Thanks everyone.