R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 Buggy Brake Help

On buggies with independent front and rear brakes, what setup is typically used for racing? Should the front brake have more power than the rear like in a real car, or should braking power be about equal?
Zio667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I set 60% rear and 40% front. It helps to rotate the car when hitting the brakes.

Too much front brake will lock the wheels and you can steer when the front wheels are locked.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

for my personal setup, i prefer having it @60/40 front to rear with a little drag brake to the rear to help rotate the car a bit....but this is what fits my driving style the best....i also use the anti-lock brake option on my 3pk...
Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio667 View Post
On buggies with independent front and rear brakes, what setup is typically used for racing? Should the front brake have more power than the rear like in a real car, or should braking power be about equal?
Setting the brakes is almost one of the most important settings on the car & finding your datum point is just the same so they are always the same when you change or alter them.
Setting to F60% R40% is what most say they do but its all normally done by feel on the track as to set on the bench is impossible.

The normal simple test is find a grippy surface or use the track you are to race on. Turn on electrics apply brakes & push car by the wing, all wheels should be locked. Now gradually release the brakes on the tx while pushing the car & note both front & rear should release at roughly the same point.
You can lift the rear & push forward then the front & backward to see if friction of break feels to be the same.

Now when you hit the track under power & apply the breaks weight transfer causes the bias all talk about & the feel fo F60 R40%. If you have to much brake remove it from the TX by servo movement. If the car brakes away at the rear reduce bias, if you want it to brake away more increse rear bias
Bren Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Tech Master

Have a look a this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WHGXq5nfA

It is well explained by Drake
Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren Ralls View Post
Setting the brakes is almost one of the most important settings on the car & finding your datum point is just the same so they are always the same when you change or alter them.
Setting to F60% R40% is what most say they do but its all normally done by feel on the track as to set on the bench is impossible.

The normal simple test is find a grippy surface or use the track you are to race on. Turn on electrics apply brakes & push car by the wing, all wheels should be locked. Now gradually release the brakes on the tx while pushing the car & note both front & rear should release at roughly the same point.
You can lift the rear & push forward then the front & backward to see if friction of break feels to be the same.

Now when you hit the track under power & apply the breaks weight transfer causes the bias all talk about & the feel fo F60 R40%. If you have to much brake remove it from the TX by servo movement. If the car brakes away at the rear reduce bias, if you want it to brake away more increse rear bias
Now this is a good explanation on how to set brake bias....

One question though, in the Drake video, he says that it's 60R / 40F, which is backwards from what's been said here. I'm assuming it's more about the particular type of car, and the person's driving style. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Tech Master

I think it is a matter of preference
Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Start @ 50/50 and adjust to your preference and to the track. If the car pushes to much on brakes adjust with more to rear, if the car overly rotates then take some out of the rear. I prefer to run a little more rear brake to get the car to turn better.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboard View Post
Start @ 50/50 and adjust to your preference and to the track. If the car pushes to much on brakes adjust with more to rear, if the car overly rotates then take some out of the rear. I prefer to run a little more rear brake to get the car to turn better.
That's what I've been doing....just making sure I wasn't off in left field or something.

Good tip on how to get the front and rear matched though. It seems like it would be a bit more precise than turning the tires by hand, unless you do it very often, or have really sensitive hands.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

I did a vid a little bit ago, and although it's on the RC8, it visualy shows on the car how to mechanically setup brakes properly. Same principals would apply to other cars for the most part. Bias is at the end, but setting up the linkage is at the beginning. Here is the brake section.

There are other sections dicussing getting other parts of the car built correctly, Feel free to give feedback.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/jason...bea04359c56637
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

+1 on 60R/40F
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
I did a vid a little bit ago, and although it's on the RC8, it visualy shows on the car how to mechanically setup brakes properly. Same principals would apply to other cars for the most part. Bias is at the end, but setting up the linkage is at the beginning. Here is the brake section.

There are other sections dicussing getting other parts of the car built correctly, Feel free to give feedback.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/jason...bea04359c56637

Really nice video, well explained