R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking 1/8th Scale Nitro vs Electric Come and get some..

Well, I thought I'd start this one off by saying this.

No matter what you run, it's all fun. What's your pleasure.

This was to discuss Nitro vs Electric.

This could be about power, performance, maintenance Drive Train Drain or anything about the two.

What's your poison.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Talking Parts

88gx7R - I agree the 1/8 electric is harder on parts. I mostly see problems in the drivelines. With the amount of torque the electrics put out, I would think the mfgs of the cars would create beefer parts for the extra drive line stresses.

On my Losi 8 (Tekno conversion) I seem to be having problems with two items.

1. Front drive line seems to not be holding up very well. I am on my 2nd and I know the front is getting warn.
2. I am on my 2nd center diff gear. This is because of rock and the motor shaft getting bent from things getting into the gears.

I didn't have these problems with my nitro.

For the most part, I have had a ton of mugen buggies and never replace a single part and I have had them for over 6 years.

I don't know how the new bread of cars are holding up.

I noticed Mfgs have made the cars lighter and I am sure that equates to more breakage.

I just finished running my Losi 8 and it has taken some seriously large jumps and also some seriously bad crashes off these high jumps and it just keeps on going. I'm sure it will break when I least expect it to like during a race.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

For me its nitro. Electric is very carefree and easier to work, but I like everything about nitro. Its crazy beacuse I was so scared of nitro when I first got into rc, I would get one and sell it as soon as I had a problem. And I would run right back to electric but it seemed to much like a toy, so Im all nitro now.

Not bashing electric but I just prefer all the problems that comes with nitro, as crazy as that sounds.
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopesv View Post
For me its nitro. Electric is very carefree and easier to work, but I like everything about nitro. Its crazy beacuse I was so scared of nitro when I first got into rc, I would get one and sell it as soon as I had a problem. And I would run right back to electric but it seemed to much like a toy, so Im all nitro now.

Not bashing electric but I just prefer all the problems that comes with nitro, as crazy as that sounds.
I had the same view on electric, seemed more like a toy and less like an actual machine.

I still kind of feel that way, but I have to say that running 1/8 scale electric does not seem like a toy.
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Tech Master

Talking Nitro vs Electric

Funny.. I was actually happy with electric. Nitro was actually easy to use.

I went through a bad period where I just kept flaming out. I could not figure out what the problem was. Then, it went away. (tore the engines down and cleaned them up, carb and all, then it went away) Ahhh Air filter foam was soft and kept getting sucked into the carb.. I remember. Found that out at Rev Raceway, got a new one and all gone.

Anyway.. I own two engines I never would run because I was afraid of them. I bought one brand new and it's an RB Worlds S7 the original. I had heard it was a torque monster. People today still offer me retail for it. I still have never fired this one. I have another and i ran it trying to break it in. The engine ran o.k. during the breakin process but, as I was starting to lean it out. I notice this thing was getting really fast and lots of low end torque was being developed and I had not even gotten it up to running temp. At about 160 degrees, the connecting rod snapped. My luck. But, I will tell you this, the buggy for the one run before it snapped was pulling wheelees..

I dare say, if I get that engine back up and running, and i get it to about 175 degrees, it will be a demonic engine to run.

That's why I was afraid to run the original and it took some time for me to get another one to run.

The other engine I was afraid to run was the Rossi Black Magic. I have one and I own several spare piston/sleeve con rod sets for this puppy. Another stupid low end torque monster of an engine. Even by todays standards.

The only thing is, they aren't the greatest on fuel by todays standards. They aren't bad though.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Posting this in the Nitro forum would be kind of lop sided don't you think? LOL

I race nitro, I've had a couple of electric vehicles. A RC18B and a 4x4 Slash. Sold them both, but I don't think it's because of being electric. I just don't think either class was for me.

I have a Losi 22 on order, so we'll see
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nitro for me. Just like them and the added challenge of tuning an engine, not as easy as electric but more rewarding, at least for me. But to each there own. Been looking at electrics for something to do in the winter but cant fit both into the buget and if I have to choose I choose nitro.
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Tech Master

Talking Nitro vs Electric

Well, I think the premise was difference between 1/8th scale buggy/truggy vs Electric 1/8th scale.

So, kinda walking the fence is right. But, 1/8th scale is not a category..
Old 12-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Tech Master

Talking Nitro and electric

I hear ya. Fitting both into the budget is hard these days. Some years ago, no problem. Good I don't throw much or sell much. My nitro stuff is old, but, I still can race without a problem. I would surely love to own a new Nova Rossi +4 or something exotic like a Radical OPS engine. Not to mention, I surely wish a large bag of money would fall from the sky (10M) and put a hole in the roof (got to make it work spending) so I can go to europe and go shopping.

I think I would own 1 of every buggy to try.

and for the electric, I would love to see what a 3800KV motor is like on 6S in a Buggy. got to be totally off the hook.

I'm sure not drivable, but, who cares. I would be laughing my way around the track. Hay look. I cleared the 10 pack..

LOL..
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Running electric is definitely more convenient, only one battery to charge. Out chasing my daughter around the property today, and lasted a good 40 minutes or so. Had it been nitro, I would have gone through 2 or 3 tanks. Which is the next point: Electric is less expensive.

I figure most people seem to get around 100 cycles on a battery, this is an average, taking into account the ones who burn one up first run lol. But the way I figured it is you get about 15-20 tanks on a gallon. Assuming equal run time (one tank to one charge), one battery equals 5 gallons. This doesn't bring in to the equation glow plugs, air filters, after run oil, air filter oil, etc..

Plus, I can run the electric for a few minutes while waiting for my wife and daughter to get ready, while in the store, etc..
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

To me i love electric and its so much more maintainable but somthing about nitor keeps me a nitro driver.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

for me.....NITRO all the way....nothing wrong with electric by any means...but there's no fun in hearing your "hair dryer" blow down the front straight at 40,000 rpm.....but that's just me lol
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler777 View Post
for me.....NITRO all the way....nothing wrong with electric by any means...but there's no fun in hearing your "hair dryer" blow down the front straight at 40,000 rpm.....but that's just me lol

+1 agree nothing beats 12 or more truggys/buggys running on the track with screaming engines down the straights !'

i dont think nitro is that expensive really compared to other hobbys.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Tech Master

Default Expense fo Electric vs Nitro

I think this.

Generally, Electric is actually more expensive up front.

Over time, Nitro can get more expensive, unless..

You blow up an ESC or worse, have a Lipo fire.
I have had an ESC throw flames 3 feet..
Ran to the car and ripped off the body, and pulled the wires off.
I was able to save the batteries and the car. I still run the burned body seeing it only smoked the windows. funny.

I guess that would have been about $160 for the ESC. My receiver case is melted, but, it didn't kill it.

I did find out today after running it, that the case really needs replacing..
Nitro, generally this doesn't happen.
Ah. The other thing I wanted to say about being afraid of nitro.
When I first started out, I didn't know about throttle return springs and I did
have 1 receiver pack go dead. This was with my Mugen Super Athlete. This
happened at Hawks raceway in Antioch, Now Delta. I was driving the buggy and was going over the last jump. Of course, it happens when you're on a big jump. As I throttled up to make the jump, the receiver pack died at full throttle. The car made the jump, landed, went off the track, hit the bleachers (thank god no one was there) and went screaming through the pit area. The car clipped a pit table and sheered off the entire front arm assembly.

I remember, because Mugen USA went out of business at the time and I could not get parts for several months. When they came back online, the Super Athlete was discontinued and the MBX4 just was being released..

I still have that car, the tires I ran in those days and the engine.

Funny.. The tires were Proline Dirty Harry tires that you can't find anymore and they are only given to the pro drivers for some reason.

I really liked the tire. Tons of forward bite and great for carving a turn..
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
Tech Master

Default Truggy

Have you tried a truggy with a .28 engine??

or have you tried a Monster truck with a .32??

I can see the rooster tails now..