R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

One thing that is certain is that electric guys preach for the class to get more guys to do it so they have more people to race with. Nitro guys go to the track and just get down to business. And still have not seen an electric car win a race with a good nitro driver out there with them. But that is in the area where I live, I am sure it has happened in other places. Have fun with this one.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

I wonder if the younger racing generation prefers the plug and play of electric versus nitro? What impact if any does generation have towards your bias in racing. As an older racer, I prefer nitro and see 1/8 electrics as a young man game.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #63

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysavage View Post
One thing that is certain is that electric guys preach for the class to get more guys to do it so they have more people to race with. Nitro guys go to the track and just get down to business. And still have not seen an electric car win a race with a good nitro driver out there with them. But that is in the area where I live, I am sure it has happened in other places. Have fun with this one.
Because the nitro guys always crying and whining about having to race with the electrics.
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
I wonder if the younger racing generation prefers the plug and play of electric versus nitro? What impact if any does generation have towards your bias in racing. As an older racer, I prefer nitro and see 1/8 electrics as a young man game.
Well, as an older racer I prefer electric. The only impact that age has is younger people are generally more willing to accept technology.

Nitro guys are more like the old hot rodder types, electric guys are more like the tech types.

We all know that even now, there are die hard guys who want a carb on their car instead of fuel injection lol, but those are the guys who can't or won't accept the way things change, and eventually are left behind.
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #65
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

EP are WAY FASTER, also MUCH harder to control, the power is so abrupt you have to be knowledgable enough with your parameter settings on radio to smooth it out.....the average club guy cant drive them smooth or get them to even feel smooth....way to much wasted power in 1/8 EP.

as for me, I dont like EP 1/8, I tried it, just not my thing for 1/8......If you want to run electric, try 1/10......most 1/8 drivers will break a 1/10 car on the track on their first lap.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
-loud (no its not a nice sound)
Every stood on the start line when two Top Fuelers are setting off? Yeah, RC pales in comparison to that noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
That's why you look both ways before stepping in the street.
I haven't been hit by E-1/8 while on the racing lane. I was standing on the outside of a turn after a triple and the E bug guy pinned it before the jump, went too far to the right and jumped off track into me. Now, I was also hit my an SC that did the exact same thing, only the SC didn't hurt much because it's half the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaml View Post
We all know that even now, there are die hard guys who want a carb on their car instead of fuel injection lol, but those are the guys who can't or won't accept the way things change, and eventually are left behind.
To this I say, why should I put EFI on an Inline-6 in a '69 Rambler?
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromoly View Post

To this I say, why should I put EFI on an Inline-6 in a '69 Rambler?
Lol, the question is: Are you going to line that Rambler up against a fully built GNX or Z06?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaml View Post
Lol, the question is: Are you going to line that Rambler up against a fully built GNX or Z06?
The 196ci I-6 in mine is the smallest engine ever put in a Rambler, I'm not racing anybody. It'll be my daily driver, putting a bike roof rack on it and everything.
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #69
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post

I think most of the people on this forum are younger than 18, so yea.
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
EP are WAY FASTER, also MUCH harder to control, the power is so abrupt you have to be knowledgable enough with your parameter settings on radio to smooth it out.....the average club guy cant drive them smooth or get them to even feel smooth....way to much wasted power in 1/8 EP.

as for me, I dont like EP 1/8, I tried it, just not my thing for 1/8......If you want to run electric, try 1/10......most 1/8 drivers will break a 1/10 car on the track on their first lap.
faster in terminal velocity/acceleration yes, around a track, No.

At pretty much every major race where the top drivers are running nitro and electric, the Nitro buggies put up faster quals and faster laps.

at this years manufacturer race, Jesse robers fastest nitro buggy lap was almost a full second faster than his fastest e-buggy lap in the main.
RePeTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePeTe View Post
faster in terminal velocity/acceleration yes, around a track, No.

At pretty much every major race where the top drivers are running nitro and electric, the Nitro buggies put up faster quals and faster laps.

at this years manufacturer race, Jesse robers fastest nitro buggy lap was almost a full second faster than his fastest e-buggy lap in the main.
I think at the JConcepts clash two years ago, Maifield was a full second faster with his electric. I've seen both. You can also see differences just based on track layout, not to mention how much practice a driver has with one car or another.

Electric 1/8 are faster and much harder to drive imho. They drive totally different than a nitro.

I would bet that if a to Pro spent as much time practicing with an electric 1/8 as they do with nitro, the electrics would probably be 1 sec faster than a nitro just from the acceleration advantage. But who knows...

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I'm a nitro guy at heart, but can see the appeal of electric to anyone that simply just wants to run his gear with minimal fuss. The way I see it, the more guys running electric, or nitro, the better for our hobby!

It doesn't really matter what a person chooses to run, as long as it gets them out playing, or supporting a local club/track while racing their gear. In the end it's all radio control, so it's fun, regardless what your power source is.

These debates, although fun, will never end I just see no point in being against one or the other, because they both have their place.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #73
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
I think most of the people on this forum are younger than 18, so yea.
I think you are sadly mistaken....
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #74
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:

A big X2
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
x3
quixoticboi is offline   Reply With Quote