R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Electric vs Nitro

Nitro guys..

Remember.. There is still a little flashlight in your car giving you
the ability to pull the trigger, apply the brakes and steer the dam thing. That would be...........

The Battery

Face reality, As much as you don't like batteries, That great sounding, nitro burning, wonderful smelling engine goes no where without one. Need the battery to power the servo and the receiver in order to make it alllll happen.

Not trying to piss anyone off, but, I have them both and I appreciate them both.

As to the torque on electric. Sure, you can not deny this is true.
More power all around. True.

But, as Adam Drake stated in a video once, (You tube I think, ( I am paraphrasing) Power isn't everything.

Not to mention, you can have a 6 cell Losi 8 2.0, hopped up to the moon, best batteries, 3800kv motor custom built 100K rpm limit. The best setup, shimmed to the hilt to make the car the best of the best.

You couldn't handle it.

There could be a new Nova Rossi Toro Nero Ultra. 100 percent hp gain, 100 percent torque gain.

You couldn't handle it.

I bet no one could handle the car or the engine. Electric driver or Nitro driver. I bet no one could product better lap times then the pros with it.. and I bet no one could crash less with it..

Again, kinda like the GRX. So powerful, you will be laughing at the excessive amounts of power at your fingertips and them.......
Poof.. Your Dead.....

No matter which you drive, electric or Nitro, the Pros wheel them both.

And as for the person who wanted to try to make a point about the pros at the worlds don't drive electric, I think you need to go back and read the history of R/C Car racing. Most of the pros run both. Not to mention, next year is the electric nationals and the pros are getting ready for that race which is coming up.

With that in mind, Some of The Pros are Pros because they can do it all. (AT least there was a time when the Pros did it all)

There are numerous drivers that wheel nitro and electric and there's nothing wrong with it.

I also think, some have a preference and Nitro might be that.

It's all good.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I was all nitro until I saw the e-truggy class run. Now I run both.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #48
Tech Master

Talking Nitro vs Electric

Cool.. There's nothing wrong with both..

LOL.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #49
Tech Elite

I'm a student and I run electric 1/8th scale. The electronics cost as much as nitro engine. My batteries come from HK and are pretty cheap. My charger and power supply was pretty expensive, but for a nitro you also need a startbox, glowplug driver, glow plugs. I think the starting price is about the same if you buy HK lipo's.
But electric is defenetly cheaper in the long run. You motor doesn't weat that fast as a nitro (only the bearings wear) and nitro fuel is also expensive.

But there's nothing that enjoy more than looking a good nitro 1/8th scale race. The screaming engines, the tuning, ... Nitro looks way faster than electric too, just because of the sound.
When I'm done studying, I'm getting an other mbx6 and run it as a nitro. My parents don't sponsor my hobby and it's imposseble to go nitro now.
I hope I finished my studies within 2years and start racing nitro
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #50
Tech Master

Talking Nitro vs Electric

I agree. Electric can get expensive. I have blown up 2 speed controllers and 2 motors in the last year. 1 ESC just stopped and the other went up on flames.

Both motors died due to something getting in the gears and bending the shaft. Even though this has happened, I do agree with the statement that the cost if cheaper with electric, but, barely. I don't tend to go through too many glow plugs, I generally can run on 1 or 2 glow plugs for a season. I do run both cars so I don't run the nitro as much, but, I like the sound like you said..

Way Way cool and fun.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #51
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I'm a student and I run electric 1/8th scale. The electronics cost as much as nitro engine. My batteries come from HK and are pretty cheap. My charger and power supply was pretty expensive, but for a nitro you also need a startbox, glowplug driver, glow plugs. I think the starting price is about the same if you buy HK lipo's.
But electric is defenetly cheaper in the long run. You motor doesn't weat that fast as a nitro (only the bearings wear) and nitro fuel is also expensive.

But there's nothing that enjoy more than looking a good nitro 1/8th scale race. The screaming engines, the tuning, ... Nitro looks way faster than electric too, just because of the sound.
When I'm done studying, I'm getting an other mbx6 and run it as a nitro. My parents don't sponsor my hobby and it's imposseble to go nitro now.
I hope I finished my studies within 2years and start racing nitro

i cant image how much nitro fuel is in europe.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Depends on what brand you get but:
About 50 EUR (68 USD) for 5 liters (1.3 gallons).
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambros303 View Post
Depends on what brand you get but:
About 50 EUR (68 USD) for 5 liters (1.3 gallons).
Exactly!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #54

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

So who is keeping track?

I see all the electric guys trying to defend nitro and say they like the sound lol. Nitro guys want to throw insults (aint running no flashlight) lol.

I see there really isn't a dispute in performance, and that is why electrics rule the tracks!
Past: Kyosho Raider, Traxxas GTP, Kyosho Optima, Jato 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Revo 3.3, TC4, MBX5t, Hyper 7, Emaxx, Vorza, Inferno VE, XXXT, Hyper Sprint, SC8e, Erevo, Rustler VXL, RC18b, Baja 5b, Parrot AR Drone, Mini ERevo VXL, HB D8Te, D8, Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, HB Ve8,Blade 350QX, Alien Quad 450, DJI F450, DJI F550, Losi 8 3.0, DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, Traxxas Summit
badaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I think they are both amazing and they are both amazingly expensive. I think electric will take over in numbers because it's easier to run but it will never take over in prestige because it will always be limited in run time. When the day comes that you can run 30, 40, 45 minutes and maybe even an hour, it will take over all together. I prefer nitro simply because it is more challenging and sounds more real and feels more real with pit stops and strategy coming into play but electric is starting to look better to me over all.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #56
Tech Elite

I run both, but I'm running E more often.

I've blown Esc's and had lipo fires, my E cars are STILL cheaper to run when I total things up at the end of the season. They are easier and more relaxing to run. I use Turnigy Lipos which cost less to burn than glowplugs, and Tekin is good about repairing Esc's under warranty, or where I wrecked hard and split a case, for a small rebuild fee.

But E cars eat tires more quickly, more weight, more power.

If I have enough racers around to have a regular pit guy I can trust, I'll run nitro, otherwise, I'll run E. with small turnouts, sometimes racers have to use a turn marshal as a pit guy, and that's lame. Pit lane strategy is fun, bt random pitting anywhere isn't very fair. So I'll run E until, I run big events where I can expect real racing.

Besides, to many racers seem to prefere pansy short mains. 30-60min mains are part of the fun of Nitro IMO.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

electric 1/8 is like watching paint dry and is Dead in this aera. The only time I hear about it is when people post about it in the nitro section.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you guys can keep your

-messy oily cars
-low powered
-pricy fuel drinking
-loud (no its not a nice sound)
-brake that need adjusting
-clutch beaings than hang up and stall your motor
-warm up time needing
-10 min run time
-crappy starter box needing

but the quick pit stops would be cool so we could run long mains... and nitro is the right amount of power... the extra in brushless is not needed.. unless there is a short run up to a jump.
Dnano

Last edited by fallguy; 12-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #59
Tech Adept

i love electric and run both. but nitro is more of a challenge and keeping them running right and having to work with an actual engine is a huge part of the hobby for me.
sheldon637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #60
Tech Prophet

oh boy here we go again
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote