Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8th Scale Nitro vs Electric  Come and get some.. >

1/8th Scale Nitro vs Electric Come and get some..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Scale Nitro vs Electric Come and get some..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default nitro nitro nitro

electric is for people who can't tune a nitro engine.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

for me the most attractive part of running a nitro car is the ability to run extended finals. racing for 20, 30 45min+ is something quite different to what are essentially sprint runs in electric classes. the next biggest positive for nitro would be the greater numbers and higher level of competition within this class.

take that away though and it's electric all the way for me. i enjoy the racing more than the engine tuning, reliability issues side of the hobby and electric classes offer a bigger slice of this with a whole lot less stress.

hopefully electric continues to gain popularity and the cars and competition develops. manufacturers seem reluctant though to get back to first principles and develop a revolutionary 1/8 e-buggy. nitro cars in the meantime have a large number of manufacturers puching each other to greater levels of refinement. it's hard to see electric outstripping nitro in popularity anytime soon although one can only hope..
Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhold87
electric is for people who can't tune a nitro engine.
That's funny because the e cars are much harder to drive they are completely different. I prefer the nitro cars but nothing beats jumping the tekno 8t 2.0. That thing flies. I have been last in a race and all eyes were on me because I was sailing the truck into the air every time inhit the huge triple. The other guys were doing a safe double double but it was so much fun hitting that jump. I can't do it with my nitro cars. I did manage to crack a diff case horizontally when I didn't quite land it but well worth it. Nothing jumps like an e truggy, but I still choose the nitro cars.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I run both. But I kinda love nitro more and its all I race. Nothing wrong with electric but there is something about nitro even with all the hassle around it. And basing it from audience impact when electric runs people hardly watch it but when the nitro starts reving at the pits more people are watching.

Electric are definitely faster and it has elevated fun factor. When I run them it just puts a smile on my face. I am not good at racing it though cuase the mains are short. I am a slow driver but I try to be consistent so I can get by well during long mains with a nitro.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Only been running the electric for a very short time, but I have to say, I enjoy it more than nitro, and I can tune an engine, it is not rocket science (although a 3 needle carb may be close lol).

I don't think electric should be run with nitro most of the time though, unless tracks decide to have an open class. Electric has an advantage here, since most buggies are running .21 engines, and all the electrics have to do is drop in a bigger battery. Open class would be great, let someone run a .28 or any size engine, let brushless mt's and truggies run, basically a run what you brung race. Make it challenging, maybe have a section of corrugated pipe to give the mt's an advantage (with a rougher or longer section for others to take if they can't climb the obstacles). I would love to race in something like that.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Seems a tad bit lopsided, but I'm sure that's because it's posted here in the Nitro Off-Road section.

Anyway, I must say I favor electric. I have two other nitro cars and can tune em just fine. But honestly, I could care less for the sound, the smell of nitro, the cold outdoor track, and the oil I have to clean up.

I guess electric kinda spoiled me.
Although the other three seasons of the year outdoor is fine, the simplicity (to an extent) of electric is what I love.

One might say it's not right to run the electrics with the nitros, but keep in mind, you need to have a pretty spot on setup to run that 1/8 electric buggy for 20 minute mains. Whether it's electric or nitro, it's a driver's race and the best driver will win.

Just my opinion.

MODS move this to a neutral corner!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't like 1/8 Electric because they're 9 pound rigs you can't hear coming up on you. I have been hit by flying rigs, the Nitro I could hear getting close and adjust for, the Electrics I couldn't.

Now if 1/8 Electric was based on something like a Slash that isn't too heavy, then I'd be all for it, just not these 9-lb. Aluminum and Titanium rigs we have right now.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tromoly
I don't like 1/8 Electric because they're 9 pound rigs you can't hear coming up on you. I have been hit by flying rigs, the Nitro I could hear getting close and adjust for, the Electrics I couldn't.

Now if 1/8 Electric was based on something like a Slash that isn't too heavy, then I'd be all for it, just not these 9-lb. Aluminum and Titanium rigs we have right now.
That's a good point. Funny thing is, people want to use a plastic spur which makes it even quieter. I'm looking to do this as well.

But just curious... are you standing in the middle of the lane or are they coming into marshaling areas? I've seen people get hit by cars, but generally it was due to their own negligence.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmpn02
I believe the current 1/8 World Champ was running NITRO!!!
I dont remember seeing any flashlights there.
That's because it was a gas only race...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quixoticboi
But just curious... are you standing in the middle of the lane or are they coming into marshaling areas? I've seen people get hit by cars, but generally it was due to their own negligence.
Mostly in marshaling position with flying cars, a couple times when stepped on track flipping another car.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tromoly

That's why you look both ways before stepping in the street.

Even though I am a die hard electric 1/8 guy, I have to admit that the nitro noise and smoke give them a soul that electric can't replicate. Watching them scream down the straights is kind of cool, even if they are going slower than an electric. Nitros just sound fast. However, after a while, the noise and smoke gets kind of old imho, particularly indoors.

On the flip side, I hate tuning and prefer the instant power band of electric along with it being a little more high tech. Electric is progressing so fast technology wise that it wouldn't surprise me if Lipos have gone the way of Nicd in a couple of years (Of course at that point, ROAR will be saying we can run 5s and 6s while most of us have moved on to nuclear power or something). The motors are getting more efficient and the speed controls smarter. Mechanical engines really don't have much room for substantial improvement relatively speaking.

Both have their place and they both are fun.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a 1/10th Exceed Brushless and I recently got myself a TL XXX-NT Nitro.

I ended up blowing out 2 glowplugs in one day, Glowplugs that cost 5 bucks each .

I'll go with Electric, because ever since I've had my Exceed Sunfire Brushless I haven't had to spend a single cent after purchasing it (Even though I need to replace my tires, and get new batteries) It still runs like a rapid beast.

Thats why when the time is right, my Lx comp is getting a Brushless conversion. Prices are hiking up on Nitro due to the Brushless Evolution.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhold87
electric is for people who make financially wise decisions.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by K-Train
I have a 1/10th Exceed Brushless and I recently got myself a TL XXX-NT Nitro.

I ended up blowing out 2 glowplugs in one day, Glowplugs that cost 5 bucks each .

I'll go with Electric, because ever since I've had my Exceed Sunfire Brushless I haven't had to spend a single cent after purchasing it (Even though I need to replace my tires, and get new batteries) It still runs like a rapid beast.

Thats why when the time is right, my Lx comp is getting a Brushless conversion. Prices are hiking up on Nitro due to the Brushless Evolution.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm more a nitro guy than an electric guy. Nitro is fun because of the noise, smoke and smell. I prefer racing nitro because pit stop make racing a little more strategic.

I have an electric converted RC8 and I really like it. I'll race it as a filler class only. Electric is less maintenance and cleaner.

I keep serious 1/8 racing for my nitro truggy LOL

On another hand, I prefer electric in 1/10 scale vehicles than 1/8.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.