R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Tuned pipe too close to fuel tank? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/458476-tuned-pipe-too-close-fuel-tank.html)

Zio667 12-04-2010 10:00 AM

Tuned pipe too close to fuel tank?

I'm not sure how close is too close when it comes to the pipe being next to the fuel tank. I just put a new Dynamite 086 pipe on my Ofna Picco buggy. The pipe isn't touching the tank, but it's really close. If I pull it out it seems like it stresses the spring coupler and I don't know if that's going to cause me to lose the seal. Anybody?

robbieg 12-05-2010 04:55 AM

those 086 pipes are pretty fat. i have removed the header and give them a little tweak to cure this problem before. basically you bend the header slightly and it will give a good line with the tuned pipe. dont take much so just be easy with it.

Nick411 12-05-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by robbieg (Post 8299407)
those 086 pipes are pretty fat. i have removed the header and give them a little tweak to cure this problem before. basically you bend the header slightly and it will give a good line with the tuned pipe. dont take much so just be easy with it.

If you are going to do that put a peace of automotive fuel line in the header so you don't kink it.

got_nitro 12-05-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zio667 (Post 8296692)
I'm not sure how close is too close when it comes to the pipe being next to the fuel tank. I just put a new Dynamite 086 pipe on my Ofna Picco buggy. The pipe isn't touching the tank, but it's really close. If I pull it out it seems like it stresses the spring coupler and I don't know if that's going to cause me to lose the seal. Anybody?

I run the same pipe on a truggy and know all too much about what your saying. I was worried about the same thing once, the pipe does not get remotely hot enough to worry about anything melting, catching on fire ETC. The perfect example is the fuel tube going off the pipe into your fuel tank. It never melts;) In fact, mine runs so close it's actually hitting and resting on the return line back to the tank because it's mounted on the side right by the pipe.

You could always kick it out just a tad with the front pipe mount if your that worried about it but you have nothing to worry about:cool:

Frank L 12-05-2010 08:01 AM

Kyosho makes some heat shield tape and Losi has the nomex tape. Line the outside of the tank with it and even if it touches it won't melt it.

mcion 12-05-2010 09:28 AM

You can use this. This is what I used for my real car on my valve cover next to my turbo manifold.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

NitroFreakManHo 12-05-2010 10:38 AM

I had this issue with my 086 in my RC8T, and yes, it will melt the tank..it doesn't melt silicone tubing because the tubing melts at a MUCH higher temp( somewhere between 500˚-600˚F, I believe ) than plastic.

I used some Parma silicone servo tape, as an insulator, and aluminum tape over that as a reflector, and stuck it to my tank on the pipe side and most of the tank, leaving a 'window' on the front driver's side corner so that I can still see my fuel level.

I also run my header the little more parallel ( basically, where the coupler meets the pipe is raised up and away from the engine, instead of laying it down closer to the chassis ) this pulls the front of the pipe away from the tank.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...T/IMG_9490.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...T/IMG_9491.jpg

Hope that helps ya!

Zio667 12-05-2010 01:12 PM

I think I might try to straighten out the header a little bit. I'm glad I didn't try and run it yet, I knew it didn't look right, and I'm sure a melted fuel tank would ruin the day. Is there any chance that the fuel would have gone up in flames if that did happen?

nothin special 12-05-2010 04:08 PM

You can just put a couple of small pieces of old fuel line between the tank and pipe. They never move and no wear on either part, just a little cushion between the two. :nod:

T-Squizzle 12-05-2010 04:15 PM

I always just go to the local Stock car race shop and buy a roll of self adhesive insulator tape. Once it gets old, peel it off and put a new layer on. Easy as that.

rageworks 12-05-2010 04:39 PM

Re-shape the header, that's all you need to do.
It's easy to do, just straighten the curve in the
header out some and add a slight upward twist
at the engine end of the header.

got_nitro 12-05-2010 05:11 PM

The melting point of the "softest plastic" is about/around 200-250F. I know for a fact fuel tanks are made of a stronger higher melting point plastic ESP. being a "FUEL" tank.

I'd say a plastic RC fuel tank is in the 500-600 degree range before it melts.

Not to mention, you have LIQUID in the tank "fuel" that wont allow it to melt.

Ever hold a lighter under a plastic bottle with liquid in it? It will eventually boil the liquid and NOT melt the plastic.

If anyone is melting fuel tanks with the front of an aluminum 086 or any aluminum pipe for that matter,(not even the header part) you have other issues you should probably attend to first like buying a new engine cause the one your running is shot:lol::lol::tire:

mcion 12-05-2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 8301784)
The melting point of the "softest plastic" is about/around 200-250F. I know for a fact fuel tanks are made of a stronger higher melting point plastic ESP. being a "FUEL" tank.

I'd say a plastic RC fuel tank is in the 500-600 degree range before it melts.

Not to mention, you have LIQUID in the tank "fuel" that wont allow it to melt.

Well I guess my rc8 got to 500-600 degrees (not likely) because my muffler would touch it and you can see the melting spot as it was getting deeper and deeper. You ever cut plastic with a soldering iron, that is what a hot muffler essentially does to the fuel tank and I am sure it could do that without boiling the fuel. A lighter would not do that to all liquids as different liquids have different boiling points. I am sure you know that.

Zio667 12-05-2010 05:50 PM

I tweaked the header a bit and it looks a lot better. Originally there was only enough clearance for a sheet of paper, no way I could squeeze fuel tube in there. I've had the pipe melt a bit of the body before so I thought it could damage the tank as well. Thanks everyone, should be good to go now.

Dr. Evil 12-05-2010 06:32 PM

Reflectivei tape

Hi guys.

I don't know if it's the same, but, isn't this basically aluminum tape??

At Home Depot (Home Center, cause I'm not promoting HD even though I have spent enough money there to build a house (I actually built 1/2 a house from there))

Anyway.. (rambling :eek::ha::ha::weird:) In the building section, I think it is called flashing. Aluminum tape is used to place over windows when they are being put in the walls.

I don't remember the price, but, I do know it exist because I have a roll or two.

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't Home Depot I got it from..

Scratch that. Wasn't Home Depot.. :weird::weird::weird:

Anyway. Ahhh. The aluminum tape is used to install HVAC Ducting..

That's it.. I remember. Try HD in the HVAC Department (eventhough, that was not where I got it from)

Man...... Was that too much or what??

When you are on a roll, it just goes to the fingers.

too many years coding programs and secretary school??? :ha::ha::ha::ha:

Just kidding about the coding.. Doooooo