R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah,

I have been a O.S. guy for years. Ran them in my helicopter, planes, and trucks for a long time. I have tried other motors, but have always had O.S. as my main brand.

As far as cars, I have owned a older Mugen mbx5 several years ago and a long time before that a Burns DX. Plus several Traxxas Revo's in there. I have never owned a Truggy, nor have I really been on a track for real racing in years. "A long time ago I had a Black foot and Yokomo when I was real young". I just bought a indoor carpet car to race this winter. I am looking forward to getting that set up and going.

I fly all summer and attend several large event here in the Northwest, and several larger expos and events back East. I really want to learn more about the car aspect of the hobby and hopefully meet and hang out with some new people. I really enjoy helping and meeting new people in this hobby. I have helicopter clinics at my house and travel to help set up other people stuff. The cars are a new adventure.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Anyone else have thought's on which car or truggy?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoats View Post
Yeah,

I have been a O.S. guy for years. Ran them in my helicopter, planes, and trucks for a long time. I have tried other motors, but have always had O.S. as my main brand.

As far as cars, I have owned a older Mugen mbx5 several years ago and a long time before that a Burns DX. Plus several Traxxas Revo's in there. I have never owned a Truggy, nor have I really been on a track for real racing in years. "A long time ago I had a Black foot and Yokomo when I was real young". I just bought a indoor carpet car to race this winter. I am looking forward to getting that set up and going.

I fly all summer and attend several large event here in the Northwest, and several larger expos and events back East. I really want to learn more about the car aspect of the hobby and hopefully meet and hang out with some new people. I really enjoy helping and meeting new people in this hobby. I have helicopter clinics at my house and travel to help set up other people stuff. The cars are a new adventure.

Thanks,
Chris
i know a worldwide recognized engine guy in your area but he dont carry OS heres a link H.E.S.

out of those three would be mugen

whats wrong with kyosho?
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Where is he at? The web site does not give any real information on location. If he is close it would be cool to meet him.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i know a worldwide recognized engine guy in your area but he dont carry OS heres a link H.E.S.

out of those three would be mugen

whats wrong with kyosho?
Who is this H.E.S. guy? (j/k Monty)

I personally like the Alpha Plus engines (S852 "Orange head") for the truggy. My second choice (actually a coin toss probably) would be the Werks B5. Again, this is for truggy. Those are both budget engines with good performance and long life.

Monte primarily does Novarossi- great engines, and his modded ones are even better. They cost a bit more, but they'll last a long time. I think they're a better "bang for buck" than the OS stuff by far.

I've personally had less than stellar life out of OS engines. That would be fine if they were priced accordingly... but they aren't. My personal experience has been that they last like a budget engine and are priced like a premium engine... YMMV.

Remember that competition buggy/truggy engines are VERY different from aircraft/heli engines. Our engines have NO rings, and are expected to turn 35,000-40,000+ rpm burning much higher nitro content and making MUCH more power.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Where is he at? The web site does not give any real information on location. If he is close it would be cool to meet him.

Thanks,
Chris
good stuff right here

i live in portland
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Now that was funny.

Are you allowed to talk about the work you do here in the forums? Or is it against forum rules for advertising?

If so, why don't you mod O.S. Motors? Do you have a shop that a local can visit?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Now that was funny.

Are you allowed to talk about the work you do here in the forums? Or is it against forum rules for advertising?

If so, why don't you mod O.S. Motors? Do you have a shop that a local can visit?

Thanks,
Chris
If you have never driven off road then Truggy would be the choice no doubt. They are much more forgiving then a buggy.

Out of the vehicles you listed I would personally go with the Mugen, but the Associated is not a bad choice either. However, if you want to venture out, Losi has a great Truggy and Serpent has one that looks very promising(not out yet). I personally will be purchasing the Serpent Truggy for next season.

Motor wise, there are many great motors. Keep in mind I am only judging on experience I've had when using them. That being said, there are other great motors out there but these are the ones I have tried. The following are all great motors and you cannot go wrong with either of these in a truggy:

Novarossi Plus 4, (Never liked the P5 in truggy felt like it lacked even when modded personally thought the plus 4 was a better fit)
OS Speed (Expensive but a very good motor)
OS V Spec (havent tried the new version but the old vspec was great)
Ninja
Alpha Orange head

Best of luck with your choice, and keep in mind when you read the suggestions that some people may be biased, but that doesnt mean their products are bad.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Now that was funny.

Thanks,
Chris
i am novarossi through an through , OS are good engines , just not my style

i try not to push the rules of the forums but i am available for phone conversations and emails - monty@houstonsengineservice.com

i am a "tuner" not a "modder"
Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Z View Post
If you have never driven off road then Truggy would be the choice no doubt. They are much more forgiving then a buggy.

Out of the vehicles you listed I would personally go with the Mugen, but the Associated is not a bad choice either. However, if you want to venture out, Losi has a great Truggy and Serpent has one that looks very promising(not out yet). I personally will be purchasing the Serpent Truggy for next season.

Motor wise, there are many great motors. Keep in mind I am only judging on experience I've had when using them. That being said, there are other great motors out there but these are the ones I have tried. The following are all great motors and you cannot go wrong with either of these in a truggy:

Novarossi Plus 4, (Never liked the P5 in truggy felt like it lacked even when modded personally thought the plus 4 was a better fit)
OS Speed (Expensive but a very good motor)
OS V Spec (havent tried the new version but the old vspec was great)
Ninja
Alpha Orange head

Best of luck with your choice, and keep in mind when you read the suggestions that some people may be biased, but that doesnt mean their products are bad.
who did the work on your p5?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Was in your position about a year ago, its a tough decision. Of the three you listed all are capable of wining races and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Assosiated and O'donnell are kits you assemble, I could be wrong but the Mugen is a roller (at least the M spec is) and I pesonnaly wanted a kit but I did like the layout of the Mugen. I looked at these and many more options and I went with the RC8T, and love it. Its been durable, handles well and responds well to changes. Is it the best? Don't care, I like it and it works well for me. Most of the current crop of race buggies and truggy's are very capable machines just take your time look at the layouts and features and choose what you like best. Engine choices are more complicated, I went with a Werks B5 and couldn't be happier although again there many choices that may be better and some may be worse. I don't personally know Houston but he is very well known and many here put much stock in his words so you may want to listen. In the end its your decision choose what you like best and you will be happy.
dragracechief is offline   Reply With Quote