R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Real 1/8 Nitro Car and product reviews

This thread is for discussing products by the racers who actually purchase them. I know every car and product has there own thread already but when I am deciding on making a purchased an unbiased review would be greatly appreciated. I came up with this idea after wasting some money on some recent purchases.
hopupking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Tech Master

Then maybe you should start the party... What products and why do you feel like you wasted money??
Chris Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default OK I will start with a product I wasted my money on

Prolines Bull dog truck bodies are great. But my Losi Bull Dog Buggy body did not last anytime at all before it was cracked up. Since I have been running 1/8th this body has had the shortest life span. As far as performance gains from running the body I could not honestly feel a difference from the stock body.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite

You have to make the slots big enough for the chasis flex. And make your bodies is 5mm of the shocktowers. The body can get slammed between the shocktowers on a bad impact.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default Dynamite Wheel Balancer thumbs down

This balancer was not free enough to actually balance the tires.
The ultimate tire balancer works great but to do some truggy tires you will need to add spacers to get clearance.
Team Losi is the best because you don't have to add spacers to fit all tires.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Virtually, all balancers will need the grease cleaned from the bearings to get them to spin free enough.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

One product I have really liked for my RC's is the EagleTree datalogger. I like being able to see the current, voltage, power, etc. of my RC's after a run to see how they are performing. You can monitor how your batteries are performing (voltage drop under load and discharge capacity), or compare different motor and gearing setups. It's a great tool, especially for 1/8 electric.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hyperion EOS Sentry battery checker .Read all kind a batteries ,cell voltage,remaining capacity ,easy to use ,inexpensive !Nice product even if u just want to monitoring your receiver packs !
gabor szilagyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default Are there any products you have questions on

Post if you have a product you have questions on.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default Agama 1/8th scale review coming soon

A 1 gallon unbiased review
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I bought a Losi8 latemodel, even though most of you race offroad and can't relate to a oval review. So I want to review the Losi8 as a platform this car comes assembled with a Losi setup on it. L8 right out of the box this car kicks butt. The L8 is bullet proof it hasn't even had a screw back out, I have had no problems what so ever with this car. It came with a slightly bent halfsaft and Horizons customer service was top notch they took care of the problem I had 2 replacement shafts in 2 days!
The L8 drive train is silky smooth and made the GO25 I was running in my old 50% faster. My old cars drive train had quite a bit more drag so the snap out of the corners is much more pronounced with the L8. Oval racing is corner speed and the L8 powers into the corners it lets the driver drive the car it is very forgiving to drive and is easy to setup. Setup changes can be felt by making small changes or swinging for the fences on set up and the car will respond. Good changes the cars on rails bad changes still beat my old car 7 out of 10 times. I would recomend the Losi 8 it's fast bullet proof it's a quality piece.
I also bought Werks B5 and it a buy on my recomended list. $200 motor that flat rips it has good power threw the whole powerband.
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopupking View Post
A 1 gallon unbiased review
Ill start the Ball Rolling. The Actual Built was A breezed. Finished Everything up in 4 hours or so. Everything Went well together except for some minor things that they did not put in the Manual. I was able to figure it out on my own cause most RC are built Same way so its very minor. It's not a Xray fit and finish but close enough to make the build fun. No Dremel Required.

Off the Box, it was a PITA to Drive. I can't drive it at all without spinning. The kit spring was way hard for our tracks so its twitchy and super aggressive but on the onset we know the car has potential.

With the optional spring and piston, little by little I am getting the feel for the car. Felt more connected with me. Its accelaration and jumping ability is off the hook and With little more run time Ill be faster with it. Basing it from our last race my lap times are down by atleast 1.5 Seconds already. The car is fast but I aint. Have to work on that myself.

Price Performance ratio is best in class IMO.
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Default D.I.R.T. R/C Products Tire Gluer

D.I.R.T. R/C Products Tire Gluer is used for gluing 1/8 Scale Buggy tires to the rim.
It makes the job of gluing much less messy and a whole lot easier. I also get a much better bond.
popsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsrocket View Post
D.I.R.T. R/C Products Tire Gluer is used for gluing 1/8 Scale Buggy tires to the rim.
It makes the job of gluing much less messy and a whole lot easier. I also get a much better bond.
Here it is. This thing is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Real 1/8 Nitro Car and product reviews-39578_151672821544530_100001054404177_278664_419895_n.jpg   Real 1/8 Nitro Car and product reviews-img_1325.jpg   Real 1/8 Nitro Car and product reviews-download.jpg  
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Virtually, all balancers will need the grease cleaned from the bearings to get them to spin free enough.
I have been using the hudy tire balancer for 18 months. It works very well. No bearing maintenance required. It spins free and the adapter for the smaller hub allows balancing 1/10 and sc tires. On that note all hudy products I have are at the top. I'm testing their servo horns now. So far the best servo horn is the huge alum slab racers edge horn that has set screws that tighten onto the servo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopupking View Post
Prolines Bull dog truck bodies are great. But my Losi Bull Dog Buggy body did not last anytime at all before it was cracked up. Since I have been running 1/8th this body has had the shortest life span. As far as performance gains from running the body I could not honestly feel a difference from the stock body.
I did the bulldog bodies for my Losi cars too nitro buggy and truggy and E buggy and truggy. They have not held up well. The buggy body is even cracked and I can't remember the last time I cracked a buggy body so soon. I like the look but they just do not hold up.

Thunderpower batteries. Great batteries.

Losi lipos not so good. Thank god protek has one out that fits the Losi haven't tried them yet.

Hyperion charger are great.

My Losi truggy and buggy have been very good to me as for durability and consistency.

And the dynamite lipo glow igntr is awesome.

I absolutely love all my ko products high end and budget.

Jr hv servos... What a waste of $$$ (but they still have the most bling)
I
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote