R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
The problem is the false numbers of the sales. $5 million isn't an unreachable number but the profit margin is really small. Add the cost of doing business and you wonder what in the hell you're actually doing in business.
I agree with that Greg! I own 2 businesses and its hard just to break even let alone make a profit. $5 mil seems like allot but if the average margin is 10% that only leaves $500,000 in profits and thats not very much considering expenses. the RC business is a tough racket since all it is is undercutting the next guy. $500 engines and kits with $10 in profit is normal now. The ebay guys seem to make their money on the shipping and handling charges. I paid $3.99 to get two special size bearings shipped First class mail
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A business the size of Carolina's going under should be a big ol' shot across the bow for the manufacturers. When the most expensive items return no margin, smart retailers don't carry it.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is the statement we released a couple weeks ago. Tekno is cranking things up!:

Hi all,

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their support of Impakt RC over the years and to let you all know what's going on with it now. Impakt started as a sister business to Tekno RC. Tekno RC made products that utilized other manufacturers products and we thought it would be nice for our customers to buy everything at one place. A hobby shop was born.

Fast forward a couple years and we had a full blown online hobby shop. With that comes a lot of responsibility and A LOT of work. Identifying and buying new products, taking pictures of them, entering the product info into the database, stocking them, packaging them, and reordering them.

Meanwhile, Tekno RC was losing focus while the daily duties of Impakt RC sucked up all the time. This was not bueno. Tekno RC is our passion. Trying to keep up with A Main and Tower on the hobby shop front was not something we were realistically going to do. So after careful consideration, the plug was pulled on Impakt.

This brings us to now. We have sold our entire inventory to A Main Hobbies and fully recommend them for all things RC online (yes, you should still support your local shop whenever possible!!!).

What does all of this mean? Well, for starters we are singularly focused on developing and producing Tekno RC products. With that brings all kinds of new fun and opportunities. For example, our new V4 Brushless Kits. With a lot of big plans for Tekno RC, now we have a much clearer way forward to seeing said plans come to fruition.

We are very excited about the new developments as we see them only as positive. It's now up to us to continue to come out with more products that people want. We started Tekno RC over 5 years ago, but with everything we've learned thus far, and having the Impakt RC monkey off our backs, it feels like we're just getting started

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
Tech Lord

double post

Last edited by Jaz240; 11-27-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Would love to see you guys start making stuff for other cars! Your products seem to be mostly for the D8. How bout concentrating some efforts on the weak points of some of the other chassis brands? Also does this mean Swift will now be the main distributer of Techno stuff?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Another Impakt from the fall of Monster Truck.
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Would love to see you guys start making stuff for other cars! Your products seem to be mostly for the D8. How bout concentrating some efforts on the weak points of some of the other chassis brands? Also does this mean Swift will now be the main distributer of Techno stuff?
A Main carries our products, but Swift does not distribute it. We are still distributed by HRP, GP, and SK Motion. This only has to do with Impakt.

We may be looking at other brands soon. We already have the Losi towers out and may do some Mugen towers and other stuff. We'll see.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #23
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Carolinas RC was the third largest Online retailer in the country after A main and Tower with sales approaching $5 million a year. They went out of business a few months ago..In todays economy nothing is safe..Its scary as hell but thats the truth

the, only thing i heard about (carolina r/c) is the reason why they went out of (business) was because the owner coulnt get a bigger place to stock more products.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
i would with barry at the head

well you have to be postive man theres to much negativetly going on right now.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
the, only thing i heard about (carolina r/c) is the reason why they went out of (business) was because the owner coulnt get a bigger place to stock more products.
I wouldn't believe that only because the entire country is filled with giant empty buildings right now that can be rented or purchased for a fraction of their value. Property owners are scrambling to get anyone in their buildings at whatever price they can get
Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you're making money you're doing good. You don't close the doors because you don't have room to stock more.
I think manufactures are somewhat to blame too. Nothing is good enough anymore and new products are releasing at an alarming rate. You can't stock the new hot tire because a newer and better tire will release in 2-weeks and the retailer gets stuck with the overstock. Overstock is money sitting on the shelf. I don't think many people realize that. People think retailers have a money tree in the back room.
I think everyone should be in business at least once.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #27
Tech Addict

If my memory is correct the biggest reason Carolina RC went under was a move to a bigger location that caused a massive serge in overhead. Move back to smaller quarters didn't come quick enuff plus there are contracts to get out of, etc. They may have needed to move twice as much product in the end to stay ahead.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

bentgear is mostly correct, the economy unfortunately crashed when they made a move that was going to help them out greatly if the economy remained the same. Its very unfortunate but Jon is doing well, has a new baby, Greg Smith is doing pretty good, he is working with Mitch of M2C doing a lot of testing. Don hasn't really been around but pops in on the forum from time to time, and seems to be doing well. Alex B. who called their races, and worked part time in the shop is working for Innova disc golf, and still races quite a bit.

Being in Charlotte, we have definately felt the impact of not having a world class shop in our back yards, but we have a few companies starting up that are trying to fill their shoes. Teamxtremerc.com is one of them, and is offering great support both on and off the track. Carolinas will be missed but life goes on for everyone involved.
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Thanks for the update. I know the Charlotte racing community had to feel the hurt when they closed. Got to meet part of the crew when they came over to Atlanta a few times.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
I've been ordering stuff from Jon for years and I was really surprised when everything I was ordering was showing up as backordered or out of stock. Then finally I started to realize that they were tanking. Then I saw the site was no longer there earlier this year. Sucks cuz Jon seemed like a cool dude.....
That bastard still owes me $$$. Looks can be decieving.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote