R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default when is kyosho going to come out with a new truggy

is kyosho going to come out with a new truggy the st-rr is kinda oldd imean at least a upgraded model??
bbboi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbboi98 View Post
is kyosho going to come out with a new truggy the st-rr is kinda oldd imean at least a upgraded model??
yep old, but it just won the nationals and it still is one of the best truggys out there.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
the ST-RR is discontinued also... i think now that worlds is over, i think they are going to work on a new truggy... just my guess.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Tech Adept

yeah they should base it off the mp9 (mp9t) lol just like they got rid off the mp777 and replaced it with the mp9..? what you guys think or should it just be a upgraded version?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
yeah they should base it off the mp9 (mp9t) lol just like they got rid off the mp777 and replaced it with the mp9..? what you guys think or should it just be a upgraded version?
Change to a new LW chassis. Price it $500 more and they'll probably sell a ton to the faithful.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

As far as I know it hasn't been discontinued. You can still order them from a few different places.

I absolutely love my ST-RR. Last night at our club race it really made me look good. It was probably the fastest I've ever driven anything!! If it ain't broke....
iglu25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
when they do, will you be buying one?? and why?
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Umm maybe,maybe not I like the st-rr but currently driving associated so most likely Naa just wondering. It's seems like it's been out for quiet a while and they haven't came out with a new edition. But maybe they just keeping it in till 2011 and surprise everyone you know. But a the st-rr is a really nice truck no dought about that.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
when they do, will you be buying one?? and why?
WOW , refer to post in why are nitro engines so expensive thread

seriously?

oh and keep your eyes peeled around february or march
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I love my ST-RR, I think all around it's the best truck on the market IF You spend the time and money maintaining it every week after races, replacing parts, shimming the diffs etc. Hopefully it will be modeled after the mp9 because the mp9 requires very little maintaince and it will still perform, and the buggy is ultra light, soo hopefully a MP9T comes out. The truggy market is dead in A LOT of areas too so Kyosho won't make a totally new truck, advertise, and promote if they don't think they will sell.

Andy
SCRC Spacecoast RC www.spacecoastrc.com
02maxima18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

The ST-RR is not discontinued, and there are no plans for a replacement. I think it's been well covered already that it's one of the best on the track, so there's not much logic in changing it for the sake of change.

The problem with an MP9 based truggy is that the MP9 is designed exclusively as a buggy. The ring and pinion gears, diff gears, housings, etc., are all designed to meet their durability requirements for a buggy, but they don't have the extra bulk thats needed to allow them to survive to Kyosho's satisfaction in a truggy. Obviously a truggy is heavier and harder on the chassis and drivetrain than a buggy, so the 777 based drivetrain is more capable of handling the punishment. There are new hard bulkheads that were developed for the ST-RR, and it's eliminated the problem that some users were having with the ring and pinion gears. The issue is really with the brakes. They're very strong and if they're set too tight and you go from full throttle to full brake and they lock up, that's where the damage really happens. The stronger bulkheads give a much larger margin of error, so the brake setting and the diff shimming won't be so critical. But, to answer the OP's question, it doesn't look like anything is happening any time soon.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Truggy market is still pretty good down south, I guess it all depends on where you run. I've also haven't had any issues with parts on this thing.. honestly! I check and keep the diffs tight to where there is no lash, change my oils every other week, and I've broken a front body mount in about five weeks of racing. It's been very reliable, not to mention very fast, for me and I run with a lot of Losis's, Mugen's, X-rays, and Associated's. I guess it could use some cosmetic changes along with the MP9's silk drivetrain. Other than that, I'm in LUV...
Old 11-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglu25 View Post
Truggy market is still pretty good down south, I guess it all depends on where you run. I've also haven't had any issues with parts on this thing.. honestly! I check and keep the diffs tight to where there is no lash, change my oils every other week, and I've broken a front body mount in about five weeks of racing. It's been very reliable, not to mention very fast, for me and I run with a lot of Losis's, Mugen's, X-rays, and Associated's. I guess it could use some cosmetic changes along with the MP9's silk drivetrain. Other than that, I'm in LUV...

i heard somebody on here that the st-rr pushes like a dump truck and feels like it but ive been looking at it and i like it does it require any mods and hows the stock setup on a rough track ?

and whats the weak points on it and how strong is it ?

and how heavy is this truggy compared to others like the newer gen truggys ?

truggy is strong in the northeast.

im not saying im getting it just curious.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i heard somebody on here that the st-rr pushes like a dump truck and feels like it but ive been looking at it and i like it does it require any mods and hows the stock setup on a rough track ?

and whats the weak points on it and how strong is it ?

and how heavy is this truggy compared to others like the newer gen truggys ?

truggy is strong in the northeast.

im not saying im getting it just curious.
If your ST-RR pushes like a dump truck then your running the wrong set up, period. One thing I never have to worry about on my truck is steering! I've been running Tebo's set up from the Nats with the 11mm hubs up front and 40frnt 45rear losi oils in the shocks with really good results. You may have to go lighter depending on how cool it is.

If you want to run the cab forward bodies like the Bulldog or Punisher you will have to run Mugen or Associated style rear body mounts.

You will have to keep your diffs shimmed with no lash and check up on them often, and try not to run a TON of brakes, just enough to slow the truck down without locking up. Other than that the truck is bulletproof.

I don't know the weight, but I will tell you that I have a lot of success against the new gen style trucks.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglu25 View Post
If your ST-RR pushes like a dump truck then your running the wrong set up, period. One thing I never have to worry about on my truck is steering! I've been running Tebo's set up from the Nats with the 11mm hubs up front and 40frnt 45rear losi oils in the shocks with really good results. You may have to go lighter depending on how cool it is.

If you want to run the cab forward bodies like the Bulldog or Punisher you will have to run Mugen or Associated style rear body mounts.

You will have to keep your diffs shimmed with no lash and check up on them often, and try not to run a TON of brakes, just enough to slow the truck down without locking up. Other than that the truck is bulletproof.

I don't know the weight, but I will tell you that I have a lot of success against the new gen style trucks.

i never, owned a st-rr somebody was just telling me that on this forum but it doesnt sound bad man the brakes sound good on this thing . does it jump nice and level and how is it on the rough tracks does it have a lot of travel ?

ive only own a losi eight-t and a eight-b 1.0.

i dont have a lhs so it whouldnt matter i just get parts online anyways.

now, i know its the driver that makes it fast compared to new truggys so you can drive this truggy hard ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote