R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default electric to nitro

Hi guys,

I had a RTR nitro car a few ago. I bought it when I was 12y old, but that car was crap and so was the engine. I was only 12y old and little bit too young to tune the engine etc. And I had no friend who did RC or internet.

Now I had a losi 8ight electric and Mugen mbx6. I love my Mugen and I started racing this season. Unfortuantly, there aren't that much brushless races.

I love the smell and noise of nitro. I met a few guys at races and I go with racing with them pretty often. When there are all in the same heat or they need to wrench, I'm pitting for them. I read some E guys didn't liked the fact that you allways need a pitbuddy to race, but I like to social aspect of it.

But how much different is nitro VS electric? Is it easier/harder to drive. I see/hear the nitro's blipping the throttle all the time while cornering.
How hard is it to tune the engine and learn it?

I've driven a nitro losi buggy once for only 5min and it felt like the car pushes in the corners. It was like the cluch was still engaged and the engine was still pulling. And I guess electric drags a bit too. And that car felt like it had no bottom end. I don't know if the tune was good, but that guy was no racers, just a someone who had fun a the track 1 time a week.

I guess I'll go with the RB shark combo (engine, pipe, gas cooler, venturi's) because it's looks the best price/quality combo.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nitro is a whole diffrent animal than E. I race nitro and would prefer electric is a class was just more reliable but there isnt one so i stay nitro. I love nitro but electric is just plug in and go, no tunning and real maitnence but it is fun and alot more competition/drivers. I would say its worth trying nitro and defanitly will feel diffrent than e but its fun when ur equipment is properly tunned and built. Also the pit men is a pain when you have no one to help but there are always people who will volunteir to help(most of the time). I likeelectric because its pay once and a little here and there, nitro is diffrent. When you run nitro you buy fuel, engines dont last for ever, and it can be a bit more rough in areas on the car but electric is also real rough. I would say give it a shot and if no go then sell it. Normally when stuff is still like new and in good shape you get a good chunk of you money back.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I bashed around a nitro truggy for a year before I bought a MBX6 E converted. I started racing the 6E for a few months and could never get used to all the torque. I messed with the ESC a bunch and never found a setting that worked for me. I decided to convert the buggy back to nitro and couldn't be happier. Its much easier for me to drive, more exciting(sound), love the smell of the fuel and having a buddy help pit is why I chose to race nitro. Its not that hard to tune and maintain the car either. Try to find a buddy at the the track that can help you get started. Good luck man!
ecpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Not sure about this, but it seems like you can drive nitro harder than an electric. It seems that the most nitro guys just always give full throttle on/after corner exit. With electric, you need to be very smooth on the throttle. A bit too much and the car starts dancing.

I was a our blackjack winter race this weekend and it's 21min of driving for the nitro's and 12min for brushless. The 21min seems a lot more exciting than the short 12min for brushless. Also, the nitro had like 18buggy's and 18truggy's and they drove in an apart class. We had 8 brushless drivers and it's was truggy and buggy together. And I don't like to run against truggies on astroturf They don't suffer from griproll and they drive over the pipes like it's nothing. It seems the competition for nitro cars is more serious than for E cars.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Not sure about this, but it seems like you can drive nitro harder than an electric. It seems that the most nitro guys just always give full throttle on/after corner exit. With electric, you need to be very smooth on the throttle. A bit too much and the car starts dancing.

I was a our blackjack winter race this weekend and it's 21min of driving for the nitro's and 12min for brushless. The 21min seems a lot more exciting than the short 12min for brushless. Also, the nitro had like 18buggy's and 18truggy's and they drove in an apart class. We had 8 brushless drivers and it's was truggy and buggy together. And I don't like to run against truggies on astroturf They don't suffer from griproll and they drive over the pipes like it's nothing. It seems the competition for nitro cars is more serious than for E cars.

oh yea, you can drive a nitro engine harder with only a little wheelspin i cant say that about electric from exprience you cant drive them hard espically the high power ones.

i cant say you can go full throttle off a exit though with a nitro lol.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
oh yea, you can drive a nitro engine harder with only a little wheelspin i cant say that about electric from exprience you cant drive them hard espically the high power ones.

i cant say you can go full throttle off a exit though with a nitro lol.
i beg to differ. e is faster and can be driven way harder. it depends on the car, i seen a mp9 converted to e get driven way harder and hold up just as good as a nitro.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
i beg to differ. e is faster and can be driven way harder. it depends on the car, i seen a mp9 converted to e get driven way harder and hold up just as good as a nitro.

maybe, so but i have a 1/18 scale truck with a brushless and yea its not the same as a 1/8 buggy but from what ive heard from my racing buds is that 1/8 e is a simlar feel.

now, i do know some people that say they dont like the power feel of a nitro powerband but i seem to be faster with a nitro 1/10 or 1/8 .

ive never been to great with the electric powerband and that diffrent programing on speedos drive me nuts to figure out lol.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
maybe, so but i have a 1/18 scale truck with a brushless and yea its not the same as a 1/8 buggy but from what ive heard from my racing buds is that 1/8 e is a simlar feel.

now, i do know some people that say they dont like the power feel of a nitro powerband but i seem to be faster with a nitro 1/10 or 1/8 .

ive never been to great with the electric powerband and that diffrent programing on speedos drive me nuts to figure out lol.
Cant copaire 1/18 to 1/8. Its easy to say e is easier and less maitnence and you cant argue it but nitro does have the noise which at times i dont like either. I would go e right when e gets popular because its just more of a plug in and go drive no tunning or engine worries and less worries. I race e and nitro and love racing 1/10 e more than my buggy and i wont deny that because its so much less serious and just a go have fun and drive not like nitro guys how serious they get. A club race is a fun race and a series race is a real race just look at the diffrences. Honestly if you have the e equipment keep it and incase nitro isnt ur thing you can always go back.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I have both, ebuggies are much easier to drive and maintain. The ebuggy has more traction due to more weight. Ebuggies normally turn faster laps too. which is more fun? Tripple amain in an ebuggy at a major event could land you 2-3 hours of marshalling....I like my nitro.
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote