Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Car magazine is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you where a new-bee in R/C you loved R/C Car Action.

I'm not surpised to hear there going bust...publication cost up and advertising money, and subscriptions going down.

The magazine was terrible, very little information, poorly written.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Aaron told me that it was shut down because the guy owns the magazine wasn't really interested in R/C so he decided to stop wasting his money and put it towards his dirt bike and quad magazines. What a jerk!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cjwilly
Have you read Xtreme lately? I think they are going downhill fast, which is too bad. They used to have the best mag, good reviews, good how-to's, nice articles with the pros, very good race coverage... now the mag that had earned my subscription (when my Xrc one ran out), RC Car, is gone. Darn. Loved that XRC and RCCA had comparable reviews of the same car and then RC Car had a completely different view. And you believed them (RC Car) b/c they wrote it like they were actually out there racing the thing and gathering their experiences that way.
I actually agree with you after re-reading both rc-car and xtreme's agama a8 reviews, rc-car has a list of "not so good things" about the car and xtreme only has "doesn't include oils, hard to find parts and too many chassis holes". I'm a good friend of Jeff (Eveleigh) and the last time i talked to him (problebly when they were writing the issue) things seemed to be going well.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick411
I actually agree with you after re-reading both rc-car and xtreme's agama a8 reviews, rc-car has a list of "not so good things" about the car and xtreme only has "doesn't include oils, hard to find parts and too many chassis holes".
Yep, Just makes me wonder how that is possible if the other magazines are not cuddling up to the advertisers.

It kills me that dirt bike mags do shootouts, first look tests, long term tests, and tell you every little thing. We get magazines that are scared of the advertisers. The way I see it is that a business, especially in a hobby that has a new gotta have item every week, MUST advertise, even if they were to get a bad review.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Actually, you do not have to advertise to survive. But it certainly has to help. Actually a few of the magazines require you to pay for advertising in order to get a review.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Sad news...RC Car was my personal favorite mag...and I subscribe to all of them. Ironically, I dropped my subscription to RC Car Action earlier this year, but if the rumors are true and Stephen Bess is the new EIC, I'm subscribing.

Hopefully, he can pull Aaron Waldron and Jason Yu on board, because their reviews were well-written, informative and entertaining...the veritable trifecta when it comes to publishing content.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the reason I do not subscribe to any magazine, I will not pay for advertising, out of 100 pages, 90 are adds, We have the internet for that and its free. Magazines should concentrate on product reviews, tests, etc.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
the reason I do not subscribe to any magazine, I will not pay for advertising, out of 100 pages, 90 are adds, We have the internet for that and its free. Magazines should concentrate on unbiased product reviews, tests, etc.
ok that's better
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I hate to break it to you, but magazines wouldn't exist without ads. I used to work in the mag printing industry. When the money for ads dies with the economy, magazines had to shrink content. The rough rule of thumb was that if one page of ads were lost, one page of actual content was lost.

Your mag subscription cannot cover costs alone. This is especially true for fringe magazines like R/C car.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

sad to hear. I used to always have my eyes in that mag.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nick411
I actually agree with you after re-reading both rc-car and xtreme's agama a8 reviews, rc-car has a list of "not so good things" about the car and xtreme only has "doesn't include oils, hard to find parts and too many chassis holes". I'm a good friend of Jeff (Eveleigh) and the last time i talked to him (problebly when they were writing the issue) things seemed to be going well.
This is a perfect example why reviews are bad sometimes for consumers. RcCar got an unreleased proto kit of the Agama in a bag and should have stated it was prerelease. There review of this car was awful. Lets me know alot are probably like this. The 2 holes in the chassis are for optional motor braces that on some tracks both are run and some only one. Doesn't surprise me that had them scratching heads as well. The oils do come in the kit but the braces do not. This car is awesome and gets on power faster than most making it a handful at the start even for Pro drivers. Get it figured out and its dialed. No one but a marketer is going to tell me that the amount of advertising is needed for them to survive. Its why we all pay 100.00 a month for cable yet watch 5 minute commercials instead of 1 minute and have 6 of those an hour. Swallow it and like it or else
Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=261421
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pntmachine
This is a perfect example why reviews are bad sometimes for consumers. RcCar got an unreleased proto kit of the Agama in a bag and should have stated it was prerelease. There review of this car was awful. Lets me know alot are probably like this. The 2 holes in the chassis are for optional motor braces that on some tracks both are run and some only one. Doesn't surprise me that had them scratching heads as well. The oils do come in the kit but the braces do not. This car is awesome and gets on power faster than most making it a handful at the start even for Pro drivers. Get it figured out and its dialed. No one but a marketer is going to tell me that the amount of advertising is needed for them to survive. Its why we all pay 100.00 a month for cable yet watch 5 minute commercials instead of 1 minute and have 6 of those an hour. Swallow it and like it or else
I can top you. They accused the gravity hobby car of being a Caster because they OEM for Gravity. They complained about a number of things that were factually inaccurate. Example including the routered aluminum being 6061 when Caster uses 7075 T6 for the pro parts.

They did break a front lower arm however, which is possible for Gravity, Caster, and Mugen.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
For those of you who remember the 90s, there was a magazine that was only in black and white. This was to me one of the best magazines I have ever read.

No Bull about products. No sugar coating. True tests, what was liked, and what was disliked.

The magazine was about 1/8th scale buggies.

Magazine was called Competition something.

Competition Plus dates back to the early 80's and my first job in the industry was working for them. My claim to fame beyond writing race coverage was getting my "cover story" article with the SG Tiger 1/8th buggy. The Barana Family were really good to me.

Stephen, Aaron, Charles and Jason are terrific people. I know they will all find new homes in the R/C publication industry (they actually already have). I look forward to seeing their creative work once again.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pntmachine
Nice avatar . All aboard the band wagon !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.