R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve307b View Post
I think he said he couldnt get the set screw loose. There's gotta be away to get it out though Little easy out bit maybe
wont come loose. with the torq in putting into it if it slips it will round the set screw tryed heating it and every, i would like to fix it. but i have had it set-up like this for months(6+ gallons) no problems with either servo or binding of throttle rods
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got a 2.0 tray in a 1.0 buggy and it works great. I have one o-ring on the back with 1mm left to pull on the carb at wot, no flex on the table, bottom is about 3mm clear of chassis, light/medium brake, and good rubber bushings on the servo tabs (no risers) and good screws. I've had no probs.

On the 1.0 truggy I'm using one o-ring and a king headz stiffner with 1.0 tray. Mounting a KHZ to that 2.0 tray looks like the way to go!!! Everything else is set like the buggy.

You'll have no problems if you follow what everyone else is sayin'. Clearance, epa, slide/brake alignment, and I believe the o-rings for added give when things flex is key.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #33
Tech Adept

I ran an 8IGHT 1.0 for two race seasons and for the 2010 season I upgraded to the 2.0. This entire time, three years, I've been using the same throttle servro - a JR Racing z9100t. I use 6.0v NiHM packs to power my on-board electronics and this has always worked well for me. The only servo problems I've had so far were with my steering servo, a z9100s, which developed so much play in it that it had trouble centering itself. I have replaced it with a new z9100t while it goes back to the factory for service.

Now I promise you that I'm not the smartest nor the most anal member of these forums, nor do I consider myself an unusually lucky individual, yet I've had no throttle servo trouble. I'm just very careful in making sure that the car is put back together properly and that all settings are correct after each maintenance session before the buggy is ever put back in the dirt. I use no radio tray brace in my 2.0 (I used the carbon fiber brace from Xtreme Racing in my 1.0) and I've always used the rubber mounting grommets that came with my servos. It is VITAL that these are used and be sure that you don't overtighten the mounting screws. The rubber grommets should not be crushed or deformed at all. The grommets are included by the servo manufacturer for a reason!

The 8IGHT, especially the 2.0, is a fantastic racing machine. I'm absolutely convinced that it has no "fatal throttle servo" problem if built and set up correctly. In defense of those who have had servo problems with their Losi I feel Losi could do a much better job of making sure the end-users have the proper information in their hands. So I'm not knocking people who have experienced multiple throttle servo failures.

If you go by GHOST68's advice I'm 99% sure that you'll be fine.
Signal151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

It has been said but set the end points, always use the spacers, make sure it's not hitting at the bottom on the plastic side mud guard and then I like to leave the rear screw that goes in the battery box slightly loose so the tray can flex a little bit if it needs to. That's what has been working for me. The mistake I was making isthe servo was hitting the side mud guard on tue bottom even withthe spacer. A little dremel work and no more issues.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I received my servo from hitec yesterday and the invoice says "broken motor tab". That tells me that the servo was hitting the bottom of the chassis. If you follow the manual you will not have ANY spacers under a hitec servo. I also inspected the side of the servo case for rubbing and found new rub marks. I used this servo in a losi 2.0 all season last year with out any trouble and now with the new chassis I have gone through 3 servos. If the bottom of the servo is hitting the chassis, Losi needs to revise the manual to reflect the need for spacers.
After reading all of the post, I beleive I may have found the issue"s". Thanks to everybody for the post.
ohiostatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #36
Tech Elite

3 years with Losi - burnt out my very first JR650 servo. After that, I have not burnt out a servo in my Losi. I follow the manual and set my EPAs correctly. And because I run Hitec 7950s, I even crank my servo saver. No problems.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost68 View Post
-O-Rings under the rear of the radio tray (under the battery) with a longer screw. This fix was for the 1.0 8ights, the radio trays in the 2.0 are already taller to compensate for this DON'T DO IT ON A 2.0!
honestly... I would still do this on a 2.0. Even though the added clearance is not needed, it's a good idea to have a little cushion in there besides just running the rear screw a little loose.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
honestly... I would still do this on a 2.0. Even though the added clearance is not needed, it's a good idea to have a little cushion in there besides just running the rear screw a little loose.
Not needed bud. Revamped radio tray for the 2.0..... just use the rubber grommets that come with the servo. I dont run any screw loose on the 2.0. No problems....
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #39
Tech Elite

The last couple months I thought I started blowing out throttle servos. Have found though that my radio throttle pot was bad. Changed radios and no more problems. I actually got it to fail on the bench a couple times allowing to diagnose my problem. I didn't have problems for 3 years till then. So could be another possibility for some.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
The last couple months I thought I started blowing out throttle servos. Have found though that my radio throttle pot was bad. Changed radios and no more problems. I actually got it to fail on the bench a couple times allowing to diagnose my problem. I didn't have problems for 3 years till then. So could be another possibility for some.
That is a good thought. I however use my radio for multiple models and this is the only one I have issues with.
ohiostatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
Running the radio tray loose is a good way to strip out and lose a screw mid race...

Whatever you do make sure if you use a long screw that you use spacers or something to keep the screw from poking into the battery compartment... The screw doesn't poke though the battery tray or you will pop holes into your battery packs... I have seen this probably a dozen times at the track and even been bitten by this one with a brand new lipo when rushing to put my radio tray back together between heats at a race...
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
I have had problems with Spektrum stuff and Hitec before...

I have 2 DX3s's and two of the telemetry receivers and both had this same problem with 7955tg's

This glitch has probably cost me ~$50 from putting my truggy straight into a wall at the end of a long straight when the steering just died then suddenly came back to life...

The Problem:
If you wiggle the steering back and fourth really fast the servo will tend to stick at full extension every 30-40 times and then literally power off for 2-3 seconds then suddenly center. Once this happens for the first time it starts to happen more frequently until it dies every few turns. I figured this out on the bench with fully charged packs nimh packs and confirmed it with both my transmitters and receivers...

The Fix:
Change your DX3s resolution from 11ms to 16ms
Change servo brands, Airtronics doesn't have this problem
Change radios, I now use a M11x and it plays nice with the Hitec Servos...
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost68 View Post
I have had problems with Spektrum stuff and Hitec before...

I have 2 DX3s's and two of the telemetry receivers and both had this same problem with 7955tg's

This glitch has probably cost me ~$50 from putting my truggy straight into a wall at the end of a long straight when the steering just died then suddenly came back to life...

The Problem:
If you wiggle the steering back and fourth really fast the servo will tend to stick at full extension every 30-40 times and then literally power off for 2-3 seconds then suddenly center. Once this happens for the first time it starts to happen more frequently until it dies every few turns. I figured this out on the bench with fully charged packs nimh packs and confirmed it with both my transmitters and receivers...

The Fix:
Change your DX3s resolution from 11ms to 16ms
Change servo brands, Airtronics doesn't have this problem
Change radios, I now use a M11x and it plays nice with the Hitec Servos...
Yea. Mine was with a Futaba 3PK. I was throttle only, although my steering feels smoother now with a new radio. I always use Futaba BLS servos..
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #44
Tech Addict

to solve any 2.0 throttle problems, use a savox low profile servo, wont die EVER
or just get the 1.0 tray and use savox servos, then you dont have this stupid problem which is easily solved. just leave your fan boy brands.
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote