Wiki Posts
Search

Jato Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Jato Tire Options

I have a Jato 3.3. Recently I've been running on a local track with friends. Unless it has recently rained, it is a pretty dry, hard packed track. I am looking for tires that would be good for this track. Right now I have a hard time hooking up and the back end slides right out in the turns unless I go very slow.

I have looked at the Pro-Line Gladiators, Badlands, and the Dirt Hawgs, but I am open to other options. I've even thought about getting the Traxxas Talons from the Stamped and running them all the way around.. I don't know the general rules of thumb for tires so I am all ears.

Please help guys! I have a couple of T-Maxxes to chase down.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I have a Jato 3.3. Recently I've been running on a local track with friends. Unless it has recently rained, it is a pretty dry, hard packed track. I am looking for tires that would be good for this track. Right now I have a hard time hooking up and the back end slides right out in the turns unless I go very slow.

I have looked at the Pro-Line Gladiators, Badlands, and the Dirt Hawgs, but I am open to other options. I've even thought about getting the Traxxas Talons from the Stamped and running them all the way around.. I don't know the general rules of thumb for tires so I am all ears.

Please help guys! I have a couple of T-Maxxes to chase down.
The jato does not belong anywhere near a track, period. You aren't going to chase down any 4x4 vehicle even if they are monster trucks with a jato. If you really want to make them look bad get a truggy. The losi 8-t would make the t-maxx's look foolish in even the most novice drivers hands. You should be able to lap them in just a 5 minute race without sweating. Theres no tire in existance good enough to make the jato a track vehicle, thats just the bottom line. Jatos are for driving on pavement in a straight line, once you try to do anything else it is out of its element.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jwm2
The jato does not belong anywhere near a track, period.
Don't be so closed-minded and please don't respond to any of my threads unless you actually stay on topic and answer my question.

Racing a truggy against a T-Maxx...yeah that's fair! If you need a truggy to beat a T-Maxx you need some skill.

I am racing two friends around a track for fun. I am not competing. I am a better driver because I have been into RCs for a long time and they are both newbies. Controlling the Jato on dirt is a fun challenge. I can hang with them just fine until I spin out. I just need tires that offer good side bite in the turns.

Now back on topic. Can anybody else please help me? Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Back in the day when I ran 1/10th scale gas my go to tire was the good ol' step pins! If anyone has step pins that would be my first choice. I don't think anyone can make a call on what tire to run so you may have to try a couple of different sets. I'm not sure of your wheel size and all that. Hope this helped in some way.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by smb17
Back in the day when I ran 1/10th scale gas my go to tire was the good ol' step pins! If anyone has step pins that would be my first choice. I don't think anyone can make a call on what tire to run so you may have to try a couple of different sets. I'm not sure of your wheel size and all that. Hope this helped in some way.
Yeah I agree that I will have to experiment. But I would like some kind of starting point.

With hard packed dirt is it better to have fewer lugs with more surface area (larger lugs) or more lugs with less surface area (smaller lugs)?

I think I might order some Pro-Line 30 Series Dirt Hawgs because they come pre-mounted and it is so nice to not have to glue.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I agree that I will have to experiment. But I would like some kind of starting point.

With hard packed dirt is it better to have fewer lugs with more surface area (larger lugs) or more lugs with less surface area (smaller lugs)?

I think I might order some Pro-Line 30 Series Dirt Hawgs because they come pre-mounted and it is so nice to not have to glue.
Dirt Hawgs are more of a bashing tire. If your track is as hard as you say, go with Calipers, Gladiator 2 or even Step pin. You'd get better info on the Traxxas Jato forum.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't be so closed-minded and please don't respond to any of my threads unless you actually stay on topic and answer my question.

Racing a truggy against a T-Maxx...yeah that's fair! If you need a truggy to beat a T-Maxx you need some skill.

I am racing two friends around a track for fun. I am not competing. I am a better driver because I have been into RCs for a long time and they are both newbies. Controlling the Jato on dirt is a fun challenge. I can hang with them just fine until I spin out. I just need tires that offer good side bite in the turns.

Now back on topic. Can anybody else please help me? Thanks!
I don't need a truggy to compete with t-maxx's, lol. But whatever. I'll just sit back and laugh.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hot racing had a conversion kit to go to 17mm hubs. Then you can run buggy tires and have a tun of choices.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Wink

pro line tires for me have a really good quality and look amazing...give em a try..idk i want to buy some pro line tires for my ofna buggy
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jwm2
I don't need a truggy to compete with t-maxx's, lol. But whatever. I'll just sit back and laugh.
Laugh at what?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

I went with the premounted 30 series Dirt Hawgs. They should give me a good all-around start and should hook up better on the track than my bald Traxxas tires.

I'm thinking about selling it and also getting a T-Maxx or Revo so when winter time comes around I'll have a snow basher.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morkendi
hot racing had a conversion kit to go to 17mm hubs. Then you can run buggy tires and have a tun of choices.
+1 do the 17mm convert, proline holeshots m3 super soft compound.. for extra traction. Have fun thats whats its all about
Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

I ran my Jato with the Dirt Hawgs this weekend. It hooks up considerably better than the tires I was using, but it could be a little better. But overall I'd say these tires will be good for my on and off track bashing. I am not sure I like these as front tires, though.

I didn't run my Jato that much because I bought a brand new Revo!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Back in the day i was racing as jato on a clay oval, and man that was a beast to get it off the corner. Like the other guy was saying use a small pin tires. With that 3.3 motor it got a ton of bottom end and spins the tires like crazy. You could go to a bigger gear on the motor to calm down the bottom end. And tires they swell up when u get on the gas causing a lot less traction. I have heard you could put tape on the foam to keep it from ballooning.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to put fiberglass reinforced tape on the inside of the tires in my Monster GT to help prevent tire ballooning, I would also seal the edges with CA.

I have a jato 3.3 but have never even started it. I got it from someone who wrecked it. I put new arms, steering assembly, front bulkhead, shocks, tie rods, shock tower(i think) been so long since I even looked at it. new tires and rims, new side mud guards.