Community
Wiki Posts
Search

problems with losi starter box.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Same experience, started with the losi box, burned out the motors and moved over to the ofna truggy and never looked back. I have two of them now for both my son and I.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
JEEEEZE..... and i thought you where a losi guy....lol, not a true supporter i see
I'm definitely a losi supporter, but losi or not I don't run it if it is junk. That's been my luck with losi starter boxes so far.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I bought a RTR losi truggy about a 1 1/2 years ago . My little pink losi box has broken in several motors and traveled to several races. I use it for both my buggy and truggy all the time. I use 2 el cheapo 1300 mah batteries in it too . never had a problem . just throwin that out there.OH, btw i always pre heat motors on break in . good luck all

Last edited by LOSInit; 11-17-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have the new Losi box with a lipo and it had no problem with my OS .28, but I do pre heat my motor, not for saving a bump box but for adding life to the motor. I had 2 chrome top ofna boxes when i ran my SC8 and my MBX-6. Yes they have good power but heavy and a pain to get everything to line up. Losi just works, period. One box for both truggy and buggy.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

I got the upgrade one form losi(universal buggy and truggy) and it works amazing, once the engine has been broken in/lost its pinch
Old 11-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I'm really glad i did, it makes starting so much easier, i don't even have to preheat my engines anymore, even though i should :/
Wow, your engines still have that much mechanical pinch? A strong starter box is great, but shouldn't be a substitute for proper pre-heating and break-in. Cold starting a motor with mechanical pinch is one of the best ways to ruin engine life.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSInit
I bought a RTR losi truggy about a 1 1/2 years ago . My little pink losi box has broken in several motors and traveled to several races. I use it for both my buggy and truggy all the time. I use 2 el cheapo 1300 mah batteries in it too . never had a problem . just throwin that out there.OH, btw i always pre heat motors on break in . good luck all
+1. Use a heat gun while motor is new. After that no problem. But yeah the blue ofna box will be the one i get when mine dies!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
The 2 550's aren't enough either. I was having one hell of a time cranking over my go engines when they were new, even after heating the engine 10 minutes with a heat gun to 300F. Once i bought the dynamite starter boxes (one for buggy, one for truggy) with dual 775 motors i no longer had any issues what-so-ever. I got a good deal on them ($49.99/ea) so i figured i'd give them a try. I'm really glad i did, it makes starting so much easier, i don't even have to preheat my engines anymore, even though i should :/

300 Degrees? Like 071 stated, you should pre-heat your motor before every time on the track. Cold starts are no good for your engines. A good product to invest in would be a Competition Heat R/C racing engine heater. This would definitely prolong your r/c engine's life.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mugen off road starter

I use one of these with LiPo battery.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...arter-Box-Gray
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Ill stick with the losi box!! never a problem!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

I love my Losi starter box, the ease of using both buggy and truggy on it with just a turn of a latch is great. I have however gone through 2 belts which I have put down to letting my battery get low on power which puts a strain on the belt. Keep the battery full and you should be sweet. That is just my experience with them.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

broken record right? anywyas.. yeah, i use the losi RTR box as well. i removed the engine, and aligned it perfect. i use a 3S lipo, and ive never had a issue turning over a PREHEATED engine.

usually, everywhere i go has 110V. so i use a heat gun to preheat my engine. i have a comp. heat head heater as well, but to break 180 degrees usually takes 20-25 minuets. i can get it to 180-210 degrees in about 30 seconds with a heat gun. and i like to warm, not MELT the block as well, helps saturate the heat and make it more consistent the second i hit the track.

never had a conrod fail, or bearings gum up... dont' want to start firing engines cold and find out. i'll preheat mine and have instant performance.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bopracer
I love my Losi starter box, the ease of using both buggy and truggy on it with just a turn of a latch is great. I have however gone through 2 belts which I have put down to letting my battery get low on power which puts a strain on the belt. Keep the battery full and you should be sweet. That is just my experience with them.
My belt broke not long after purchasing my Losi 2.0 box.I replaced it with a belt from Korea I found on Ebay.The belt I found was 100 times better than the original Losi rubber band.Other than that I like the box.