Wiki Posts
Search

Car maintenance log

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Car maintenance log

Hello,

does anyone have and use a log book that keeps track of the running times of the car? I mean clutch bearings, bearings, engine, A-arms, hubs, clutch etc etc so we know when to replace each part so as to avoid disaster...

A nice excel file would be very very welcome

Thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All those things you mentioned are wear n tear. What lasts me might not last you 1/2 as long and vice verse. It's all done pretty much by eyeball.

To "avoid disaster" most guys that race replace all the bearings after a race for the next one. Engines avarage life is about 6-8 gallons but again this depends on who's using it and who makes it.

You might get a brand new bearing that desides to take a crap on the first lap. Lots of variables here.

To answer your question though, I don't have a car maintenance log.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Addict

I used to have one, but it didn't give me anything. Now I just go through the car after/before every race, and check if everything is alright.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

With a log, you spend more time dealing with paper work thanthe actual on hands with the car. It could work if done right I suppose.
I think alot of it depends on the car you drive as well.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sounds like my job. I keep telling them I could get more done if I had to spend less time working on reports and meetings.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There are also so many variables from one manufacturer to another that I don't think it would be possible to establish any kind of intelligent baseline. For example, a particular sized bearing made by Brand X may look exactly like the bearing by Brands Y and Z, but last more than twice as long, or vice-versa.

Regular maintenance and thorough inspection of components & individual parts is the only viable way to achieve optimal handling and avoid failures... Or just run your vehicle til it explodes. Either option is good :lol
Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I keep a log and find it quite useful to know how long certain parts last. If you feel it would take too long to write it out, then your getting too serious on the log....Just jot down the date and what you did, Simple as that.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

i keep a list of wear items that break during a race or practice. then when i do a cleaning i check all items on the list for wear and replace as needed.