Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Sepent 811 VS Odonnell Z01Bb SG? >

Sepent 811 VS Odonnell Z01Bb SG?

Sepent 811 VS Odonnell Z01Bb SG?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Sepent 811 VS Odonnell Z01Bb SG?

Looking at both kits, like both of them wondering what issues if any on either of the kits. I know the Serpent has a new radio box comming out anytime now to get the servo away from the motor. I have heard the Z01B had plenty of problems but I understand the SG is a much better car and have fixed/improved the car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by engr673
Looking at both kits, like both of them wondering what issues if any on either of the kits. I know the Serpent has a new radio box comming out anytime now to get the servo away from the motor. I have heard the Z01B had plenty of problems but I understand the SG is a much better car and have fixed/improved the car.

Thanks in advance!
the serpent. the SG is like ... sh%^ for racing, i've tryed it, its like a snail compared to others.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ive driven both, the SG is better IMO once setup properly. the serpent just doesnt feel right, but that may be driver preference. but if you have the SG setup right you can drive the snot out of it and it works great. i know OD likes to be driven hard, works better that way IMO but you can set it up for a smoother less agressive driving style also... the serpent felt very loose and unstable, it jumped good and all but it was unpredictable to me, even if you hit lines the same way, but that may have been setup. i also know the guy that i drove his serpent has gone threw 3-4 throttle servos (i think they fixed it now) and i saw him this weekend running a HB (for the first time) better than his serpent .....
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks in advance!
The SG is nimble, quick and ready for whichever track you throw at it. It's a pleasure to work on and easy to maintain. Also, service is second to none - should you ever require it.

I invite you to come into the 'O'Donnell Buggy' thread. Ask any questions you want. Team members and non-team members will give you honest and CONSTRUCTIVE information.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
The SG is nimble, quick and ready for whichever track you throw at it. It's a pleasure to work on and easy to maintain. Also, service is second to none - should you ever require it.

I invite you to come into the 'O'Donnell Buggy' thread. Ask any questions you want. Team members and non-team members will give you honest and CONSTRUCTIVE information.
Thanks for the invite I will do that!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
the serpent. the SG is like ... sh%^ for racing, i've tryed it, its like a snail compared to others.
Was going to ask you a few questions, but after seeing your other posts, I now realize exactly what I'm dealing with. So, I'll just laugh instead.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
opinions do very!!!

i have not driven the serpent 811 but another racer at my home track has the car.. yes i do drive for o'donnell.... ever since me and eric (the other drive) have been racing we are very close in racing.. he has driven several cars as i have driven different cars.. we are both still close in lap times, qualifying times and podium finishes... so is 1 car better?? the serpent looks good but i do see eric wrenching alot on the car.. might just be fine tuning or maintenance.. the sg does alot of good things.. you also get alot of help on the odonnell thread from all the team guys... price comparison? dont know the current price of the serpent.. the sg is what 449 at tower or amain.. comes with all the springs and sway bars.. all that is left is a couple toe plates for what 12.00 each... hope this helps. jeremy
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks in advance!
The best thing you could do is go down to your local track and if possible, try each car yourself; that's the only way you'll really know what's right for you. All cars have their particular little issues.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jon Moore
Was going to ask you a few questions, but after seeing your other posts, I now realize exactly what I'm dealing with. So, I'll just laugh instead.
no your biased. a FAN-boy to be more exact. i dont drive or have any close relations to any team drivers etc, why dont you try others before you post.

i have tryed nearlly all nitro engines and 1/8 buggys. i just tell people my experiences with them.

basically he wanted to know what the differnce was between the two, of people who have actually owned both.

its like the fact i currently drive a 808 yet im not saying go buy an 808.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

A thread like this will get no where, just flaming. I haven't driven the Serpent so can't say anything at all about it. I have seen a couple on the track and they do look good but driving ability comes to play somewhere.
I have driven the SG and it feels good and does what I ask of it.
The choice is yours. Just overlook the flaming.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Greg B
A thread like this will get no where, just flaming. I haven't driven the Serpent so can't say anything at all about it. I have seen a couple on the track and they do look good but driving ability comes to play somewhere.
I have driven the SG and it feels good and does what I ask of it.
The choice is yours. Just overlook the flaming.
I know better than that"jus overlook the flaming". I clearly understand no one car is the best and no car has that special magic. The magic is in the driver! I'm an entry level intermidate at best right now. I'm an engineer by day so I look for build quality and have to look at all the ins and outs before I make my decison(thats the engineer in me!). I think at the end of the day either car will work fine and the best thing to do as one mentioned is to go and drive them both. Problem with that is no one really drives the SG or 811 here in Phoenix AZ its usually Losi, Associated, or Mugen for the most part. I have talked with a shop that did or still does carry Odonnell and I was told to stay away from the Z01B not much has been said about the SG.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I know better than that"jus overlook the flaming". I clearly understand no one car is the best and no car has that special magic. The magic is in the driver! I'm an entry level intermidate at best right now. I'm an engineer by day so I look for build quality and have to look at all the ins and outs before I make my decison(thats the engineer in me!). I think at the end of the day either car will work fine and the best thing to do as one mentioned is to go and drive them both. Problem with that is no one really drives the SG or 811 here in Phoenix AZ its usually Losi, Associated, or Mugen for the most part. I have talked with a shop that did or still does carry Odonnell and I was told to stay away from the Z01B not much has been said about the SG.
I have a few friends that are mechanical engineers. I know you guy's see everything in black and white and really do your homework before making a purchase. As for wear and build quality, Mugen,X-ray and O'Donnell make the grade and you would be thrilled by all 3. I do know first hand that the SG is far better than the previous Z01B. I have heard the Serpent had a throttle issue but a new tray is on the way. Serpent has a big background in RC, however, I'm not in the market to buy from A-main everytime I need a part.
Part support and pricing has always played a big role in my decisions.
Most hobby shops deal with Great Planes and Horizon Hobby which carry the parts for the current popular models. With Serpent, a shop must be direct with them and that usually means spending more money to get product so therefore less shops participate. So, I usually look at the business side of it too. As for the car, it might be the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Tom Awayfay drives the Serpent. He races at the Nitro Pit every race. He would be willing to let you test drive it. A few people drive the OD down in Tucson. Jason Lopez and Brian Kinwald to be exact. Since they are both OD team drivers I am sure they would be willing to let you drive their cars also
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

the serpent is a beautiful buggy and when you put your mind to it, it drives extremely well in the end
but I build one and close up, I didn't like the building at all
the screws in the hard plastic drove me crazy, especially the ones in the toeplates
the 3 mm screws burst on each assembly, also the parker screws fixing the bearings in the bulkheads are a pain in the ass to screw..
the carbon front tower deteriorates quickly, also the small bearings everywhere and the 808-like central driveshaftssystem with a flexy chassis asks for heavy maintenance and replacements.. more difficult to find a set-up
the screws and bearings are shitty,the stock brakediscs are not good, the toeplates are moulded..
parts are high-class expensive, to say the least ..
I wonder, who can buy still all those goodies at those prizes? I can't..
bottom line, it's more an expert's buggy..

.. really the reverse of the od SG
that one goes together extremely well, also for the maintenance
4 mm screws all over..
you put it on the track with a wrong set-up and it still works ok, you work on it a we and it's dialed, flies like a bird, drives over the bumps like a flying carpet,
cnc milling, bearings and screws are top notch..to break the arms you must use a hammer..
you don't want to do maintenance for 6 months.. it still drives
the kit comes very complete with 6 pairs of springs, 6 anti-rollbars, solid cnc towers, cnc toeplates, parts are dirt cheap.. 6.50 for bulkheads, 10.00 a pinion
..there is the weight, if you have a problem with that...but the buggy drives well as it is, and with the truggy gears, it's as quick as the others now
...it's a pity, it has older style cvd driveshafts, not captured, getting somewhat play into the joints
and a front suspension without much travel or tuning possibilities

the only problem with the Team version was the too flexy chassis, pushing onto the bulkheads, one little mistake by Mr. O'Donnell who doesn't want to make any
so they reinforced everything + the chassis, so now you have a M1 tank..lol
and... it's us made, always wonder why that buggy is not used by the 100s ???

Last edited by speedy2; 11-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have the serpent now but never driven an sg. But the serpent is simply a touring car on the dirt. Precise and very forgiving. The setup is the key.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.