Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Xray 808 vs mbx6, what's the difference in how they drive? >

Xray 808 vs mbx6, what's the difference in how they drive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray 808 vs mbx6, what's the difference in how they drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Xray 808 vs mbx6, what's the difference in how they drive?

Thx
Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

lets just say they can't be compaired. Xray is european and over there jumps aren't nothing like the size over here, so mugen takes the win on travel and jumping. I have yet to run a mbx6 but i will be buying one soon if i dont buy "the car", but i have owned an xray and they are quality cars for sure but theres some things i didnt care for.

Shocks dont have alot of travel and the car slaps hard on larger jumps.
Xray also has chassis flex really bad.
Parts are harder to find at LHS so you have to stock up and hope you have the part you break.
The xray is a bit more pricey i think than mugen but i would stay mugen unless you can try xray before buying because they are 100% diffrent all around.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

ok, im running electric, but if figured nitro and electric runs about the same. I was thinking of the 808E. Im looking for something that's more planted and less twitchy then the mbx6...

thx
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've been running an electric 808 for the past 2 seasons. I've had a rc8 and ve8 to compare it to.

I keep going back to the 808. The main reason I like the 808 versus the others cars I've had experience with is the durability. This car is absolutely a tank. Some folks will say the xray doesn't have LHS parts support. My take is you don't need LHS support if you don't have to constantly buy spare parts. The rc8 and ve8 weren't even in the same ballpark durability/quality wise. Not to knock on those cars, but it is just a fact.

I get everything I need in 2 days from Amain. I still have the original spares I bought when first got the car. The 808 doesn't need as single upgrade. zip. zilch. nada. Every upgrade is purely aesthetic.

The mugen seems to be the only comparable car from what I have seen build wise.

The 808 is very light so it just seems to be a twitchy car. However, with the right setup, it does calm down quite a bit (stiffer oils help a lot). The car jumps very well. I always go big at my local track and I don't have any issues with the jumping ability.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

since I have actually raced both for a bit I guess I can comment...

the Xray:

steers very predictably, and tends to have more steering as speeds increase. good for fast flowing tracks? I know on american tracks with tight 180's the car struggles with those low speed turns. overdrive it in the corners and it traction rolls easy. Of all the cars I have driven this thing carries the most cornering power.

bucking bronco in any type rough, car always felt so on edge all the time no matter what. On jumps take off and flight behavior is real good, you can put it anywhere. any big flat landings tho and well...bouncy bouncy. If you are a very smooth technical driver the xray can work for you.

the mugen:

Oh what a hot mess this car is. the front end does goofy things. and touchy to maintain and setup. steers unpredictably or should I say changes lots depending varying speed and suspension loads. you get used to it though. has loads of low speed turning ability. rear end can get happy if setup is off. the thing is, the car is always fast, a bad setup and this thing still is capable of fast laps if you can adapt quick enough.

as the track gets worse the mugen gets better. the car does work well with full droop and this thing has it in spades. get a little sloppy and where other cars bite you the mugen lets you get away with it. jumps good, lands even better. If you are more the gun-and-run type of driver the mugen will tolerate you.

hope that helps, but if you want a car that works all the time with no drama...get a losi.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Hmm.... Still kinda hard to decide which route to go. I have a mbx6 and had a losi. Both, i wasn't happy with. It could be just me. Maybe my driving style just don't fit 1/8th buggy. Truggy, i absolutely love, even 1/10th indoor buggy.

For me, the mbx6 feels real loose in the rear. and others say the same. I'm looking for a car that's just planted, with not too much oversteer, yet has good steering in the corners. Not sure if that exist... haha.. And i do like throttling in the corners.

Originally Posted by johnny t
since I have actually raced both for a bit I guess I can comment...

the Xray:

steers very predictably, and tends to have more steering as speeds increase. good for fast flowing tracks? I know on american tracks with tight 180's the car struggles with those low speed turns. overdrive it in the corners and it traction rolls easy. Of all the cars I have driven this thing carries the most cornering power.

bucking bronco in any type rough, car always felt so on edge all the time no matter what. On jumps take off and flight behavior is real good, you can put it anywhere. any big flat landings tho and well...bouncy bouncy. If you are a very smooth technical driver the xray can work for you.

the mugen:

Oh what a hot mess this car is. the front end does goofy things. and touchy to maintain and setup. steers unpredictably or should I say changes lots depending varying speed and suspension loads. you get used to it though. has loads of low speed turning ability. rear end can get happy if setup is off. the thing is, the car is always fast, a bad setup and this thing still is capable of fast laps if you can adapt quick enough.

as the track gets worse the mugen gets better. the car does work well with full droop and this thing has it in spades. get a little sloppy and where other cars bite you the mugen lets you get away with it. jumps good, lands even better. If you are more the gun-and-run type of driver the mugen will tolerate you.

hope that helps, but if you want a car that works all the time with no drama...get a losi.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by teeforb
Hmm.... Still kinda hard to decide which route to go. I have a mbx6 and had a losi. Both, i wasn't happy with. It could be just me. Maybe my driving style just don't fit 1/8th buggy. Truggy, i absolutely love, even 1/10th indoor buggy.

For me, the mbx6 feels real loose in the rear. and others say the same. I'm looking for a car that's just planted, with not too much oversteer, yet has good steering in the corners. Not sure if that exist... haha.. And i do like throttling in the corners.
sounds like you are in the need of a agama a8 evo, just build it with a lighter rear bar then what they say in the manual. looks to be same quality as xray.

All the xray distributors here do agama also here the xray price is $1000NZD and the agama is $629NZD thats a big differnce, everyone here seems to like them. the shocks are like... HUGE, would be like comparing traxxas big bores(our losi big bores, xray etc) vs the losi LST shocks.(the agamas)

i am buying a agama to run next season.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

have you tried the overdrive gear in the mugen? the mugens I have driven with it, I felt you could do no wrong. something I plan on converting too for the outdoors.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
sounds like you are in the need of a agama a8 evo, ...... looks to be same quality as xray.

after racing and maintaining an xray for 6 months, not sure if this is a great selling point.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

also what diff oil wt are you using in the rear of both? i use 3000 cst in my 808
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

looks to be same quality as xray.
Did you just compare the parts quality of an Agama to an Xray??
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
Did you just compare the parts quality of an Agama to an Xray??
plastics yes. hudy steel no.

a close friend of mine who races bought a agama strait away when it come out... the plastics are having the same life as my xray and his gets more use.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

plastics yes. hudy steel no.

a close friend of mine who races bought a agama strait away when it come out... the plastics are having the same life as my xray and his gets more use.
Nah, Xray plastic much >> than Agama A8, I have had them both side by side and you can tell the difference right away. Agama plastic is closer to losi or rc8 plastic. None the less still performs very well on the track.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mcion
Nah, Xray plastic much >> than Agama A8, I have had them both side by side and you can tell the difference right away. Agama plastic is closer to losi or rc8 plastic. None the less still performs very well on the track.
ahh well. guess we have had good luck with the agama then
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

teeforb the xray is much more planted then the mugen as for nitro that is but i think what you are looking for is a kyosho it is very planted like xray but steers very well and jumps and handles the rough great plus the new v4 kyosho kit that tekno is putting out would be awesome just get a mp9se and the tekno kit and you will love it what you described wanting is what i found when switched to kyosho the car has price issues but oh well it is worth it i have found out plus if you dont like it i will buy it from you oh yeah pm me if your not doing anything saturday i am going to have people up to run on my track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.