R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
since I have actually raced both for a bit I guess I can comment...

the Xray:

steers very predictably, and tends to have more steering as speeds increase. good for fast flowing tracks? I know on american tracks with tight 180's the car struggles with those low speed turns. overdrive it in the corners and it traction rolls easy. Of all the cars I have driven this thing carries the most cornering power.

bucking bronco in any type rough, car always felt so on edge all the time no matter what. On jumps take off and flight behavior is real good, you can put it anywhere. any big flat landings tho and well...bouncy bouncy. If you are a very smooth technical driver the xray can work for you.

the mugen:

Oh what a hot mess this car is. the front end does goofy things. and touchy to maintain and setup. steers unpredictably or should I say changes lots depending varying speed and suspension loads. you get used to it though. has loads of low speed turning ability. rear end can get happy if setup is off. the thing is, the car is always fast, a bad setup and this thing still is capable of fast laps if you can adapt quick enough.

as the track gets worse the mugen gets better. the car does work well with full droop and this thing has it in spades. get a little sloppy and where other cars bite you the mugen lets you get away with it. jumps good, lands even better. If you are more the gun-and-run type of driver the mugen will tolerate you.

hope that helps, but if you want a car that works all the time with no drama...get a losi.
I've driven both also and I agree with all the above. Here's more pro's and cons comparing both chassis.

Shocks: Mugen wins on this one. Xray shocks need some minor tweaks to prevent leaking. Also since the car is so sensitive on rough tracks, I find myself tweaking with pistons and oils etc. to get just the right setup on the xray shocks work on different tracks. Mugen shocks seem to be more consistent, and the oil stays CLEAN for much much longer. They just seem to seal better and they hold their original pack better. I didn't find myself changing oil/piston combos as much running the Mugen also.

Steering: This entirely setup dependent, but in general I like the xray better. It's more consistent and steering arc doesn't change abrupty when you change speeds in a corner or load/unload the front arms under braking/accelerating. It just feels more predictable. It seems easier to carve corners. (Note: this is not true on rough track, Mugen's rough track handling will override the steering advantage. I think this has more to do with suspension geometry though. Mugen also uses more bump steer which I think helps the car in moguls etc. If one tire hits a bump it steers into the bump, instead of catching an edge and flipping the car over or tossing it out of line. The steering is not as precise, but at least it doesn't twitch when it catches a weird rut. I'm not sure how this works, but you can definately feel the difference on rough track) Since then, I've been able to find a rough track setup that works well with the xray though which works quite well. Adding bump out is one of the adjustments I made.

Durability: Parts I've broken on an Xray while racing.... ummm.... I ran this thing for over a year and... ummm I can't recal anything breaking. Except the first time and only time, I did major damage to the front diff/ring setup when i didn't maintain those bearings and it broke during the race. As everyone who's run Xray will tell you. If you maintain it on the bench, it doesn't fail on the track. You will have tons of spares, that will never be used. TONS.

Mugen... Your mileage may vary. The car is durable, but it does have some items that I have broken several time DURING racing. They break because of my fault, but the same crashes done with my Xray and it will keep going. I've broken front and rear arms. again and again and again. I hate to say that, because I love the way the mugen runs.

Lap times: This is driver and track dependent. In general, what Johnny T wrote. Smooth track Xray destroys mugen IMO. Smooth track with large jumps tie. Rough track with or without jumps Mugen wins.

Cost: In the long run Xray is cheaper. You'll have spares you never use. If time is a factor, Xray IMO is much more maintenance intensive.

Fun to drive Mugen wins, you can drive out of control with this car and it just goes through straight as an arrow. Moguls up ahead... punch it and pass that Xray. haha Just don't go too crazy, you gotta watch those arms.

I try to drive smoothly so the Xray suits my style better, it feels more precise. You can't get away with driving out of control with an Xray it seems. The Mugen lets you do that and get away with it. (note lap times are not faster, its just fun. haha)

Jumping Xray flies better. Also if you downside a jump, the xray lands better. That same bump steer that helps the mugen in the rough makes it feel funny landing. But you can get used to it.
razo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo125 View Post
I've driven both also and I agree with all the above. Here's more pro's and cons comparing both chassis.

Shocks: Mugen wins on this one. Xray shocks need some minor tweaks to prevent leaking. Also since the car is so sensitive on rough tracks, I find myself tweaking with pistons and oils etc. to get just the right setup on the xray shocks work on different tracks. Mugen shocks seem to be more consistent, and the oil stays CLEAN for much much longer. They just seem to seal better and they hold their original pack better. I didn't find myself changing oil/piston combos as much running the Mugen also.

Steering: This entirely setup dependent, but in general I like the xray better. It's more consistent and steering arc doesn't change abrupty when you change speeds in a corner or load/unload the front arms under braking/accelerating. It just feels more predictable. It seems easier to carve corners. (Note: this is not true on rough track, Mugen's rough track handling will override the steering advantage. I think this has more to do with suspension geometry though. Mugen also uses more bump steer which I think helps the car in moguls etc. If one tire hits a bump it steers into the bump, instead of catching an edge and flipping the car over or tossing it out of line. The steering is not as precise, but at least it doesn't twitch when it catches a weird rut. I'm not sure how this works, but you can definately feel the difference on rough track) Since then, I've been able to find a rough track setup that works well with the xray though which works quite well. Adding bump out is one of the adjustments I made.

Durability: Parts I've broken on an Xray while racing.... ummm.... I ran this thing for over a year and... ummm I can't recal anything breaking. Except the first time and only time, I did major damage to the front diff/ring setup when i didn't maintain those bearings and it broke during the race. As everyone who's run Xray will tell you. If you maintain it on the bench, it doesn't fail on the track. You will have tons of spares, that will never be used. TONS.

Mugen... Your mileage may vary. The car is durable, but it does have some items that I have broken several time DURING racing. They break because of my fault, but the same crashes done with my Xray and it will keep going. I've broken front and rear arms. again and again and again. I hate to say that, because I love the way the mugen runs.

Lap times: This is driver and track dependent. In general, what Johnny T wrote. Smooth track Xray destroys mugen IMO. Smooth track with large jumps tie. Rough track with or without jumps Mugen wins.

Cost: In the long run Xray is cheaper. You'll have spares you never use. If time is a factor, Xray IMO is much more maintenance intensive.

Fun to drive Mugen wins, you can drive out of control with this car and it just goes through straight as an arrow. Moguls up ahead... punch it and pass that Xray. haha Just don't go too crazy, you gotta watch those arms.

I try to drive smoothly so the Xray suits my style better, it feels more precise. You can't get away with driving out of control with an Xray it seems. The Mugen lets you do that and get away with it. (note lap times are not faster, its just fun. haha)

Jumping Xray flies better. Also if you downside a jump, the xray lands better. That same bump steer that helps the mugen in the rough makes it feel funny landing. But you can get used to it.
I think all Xray owners are guilty of having too many unused spare parts... I am one for sure, guilty as charged!