R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   'splain to me....qualifing heats (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/450343-splain-me-qualifing-heats.html)

skyler hays 11-06-2010 08:52 PM

'splain to me....qualifing heats

ok i have been an r/c racer for two months....explain to me the qualifying process...we run 3 5min heats. i always assumed that you were trying to get the fastest lap time period. apparently thats not it...something about fastest elapsed time and most number of laps?? when ever i was running if i wrecked i would kinda poke back around until i got close to the timing loop, bc i figured that lap was screwed anyway...thanks.

losiftw 11-06-2010 08:57 PM

qualify is trying to go your fastest for 5 whole minutes. in that 5 minutes you wanna run as many laps as you can in 5 minutes. Your fastest lap doesnt matter. So if you roll get back on the gas and race hard because its not the lap its the number of laps you can complete in 5 miuntes.

JonesyCGY 11-06-2010 09:02 PM

At two of our facilities basically how it works is:

The person with the most number of laps qualifies first.
If there are two or more people with the same number of laps it is done by the total time.

An Example...
5 minute heats:

Racer #1 - 40 laps - 5min 2 seconds - Qualifies First - (This racer was 2 seconds short of getting 41 laps)
Racer #2 - 40 laps - 5min 8 seconds - Qualifies Second (This racer was 8 seconds short of getting 41 laps)
Racer #3 - 39 laps - 5min 5 seconds - Qualifies Third (This racer was 5 seconds short of getting 40 laps)

Check out this sample : http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...ock_a-main.pdf

Jomo918 11-06-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JonesyCGY (Post 8175738)
At two of our facilities basically how it works is:

The person with the most number of laps qualifies first.
If there are two or more people with the same number of laps it is done by the total time.

An Example...
5 minute heats:

Racer #1 - 40 laps - 5min 2 seconds - Qualifies First - (This racer was 2 seconds short of getting 41 laps)
Racer #2 - 40 laps - 5min 8 seconds - Qualifies Second (This racer was 8 seconds short of getting 41 laps)
Racer #3 - 39 laps - 5min 5 seconds - Qualifies Third (This racer was 5 seconds short of getting 40
Check out this sample : http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...ock_a-main.pdf

very good explanation! :nod:

JAMMINKRAZY 11-06-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jomo918 (Post 8175749)
very good explanation! :nod:

+1:nod:

Fastest single lap means nothing. Fastest 5 minute qualifier is what counts. By fastest I mean most number of laps in the shortest time. Jonesy's examples show what I mean. In other words... Never stop racing until you're called done, bad lap or not, it still counts.;)

willbe 11-06-2010 09:16 PM

Biggest thing about qualifying is that you are racing yourself and the clock.

If a car is catching you, they are already in front of you as they are catching you and your clock.

Let them go by and dont race them. You will be amazed how well you qualify if you give a nice gap between starts and give space so you can run "your" lines

skyler hays 11-06-2010 09:17 PM

cool beans...i actuallly took 1st place today with my jammin sc..now just gotta improve with my 8ight!:D

Jomo918 11-06-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by willbe (Post 8175790)

If a car is catching you, they are already in front of you as they are catching you and your clock.

Let them go by and dont race them. You will be amazed how well you qualify if you give a nice gap between starts and give space so you can run "your" lines

That is also very true! It's just so hard to let someone by:D:lol::lol:

JAMMINKRAZY 11-06-2010 09:31 PM

Very true as well. Not bunching up at starts is a big one. It is slower for everybody if everyone bunches up at the start of a race. Give yourself and others some room to breathe at the start of a race. Most tracks now a days use a rolling start system, especially for nitro qualifiers. This system works really well, and can help minimize the bunching up, however you still have to be smart. Slow down and wait a few seconds for some space before you cross the line.

Same applies if someone catches you during a race. They're already beating you, just let them by and continue on. When doing this, don't stop on the track to do it, just swing wide in a corner and let them take the inside. Doing so will also help you make friends on the track. If you don't, be prepared to be put into a tube.;):lol:

J.Sears 11-06-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 8175836)
Very true as well. Not bunching up at starts is a big one. It is slower for everybody if everyone bunches up at the start of a race. Give yourself and others some room to breathe at the start of a race. Most tracks now a days use a rolling start system, especially for nitro qualifiers. This system works really well, and can help minimize the bunching up, however you still have to be smart. Slow down and wait a few seconds for some space before you cross the line.

Same applies if someone catches you during a race. They're already beating you, just let them by and continue on. When doing this, don't stop on the track to do it, just swing wide in a corner and let them take the inside. Doing so will also help you make friends on the track. If you don't, be prepared to be put into a tube.;):lol:

+1 very good advice. Respect the other drivers that are faster than you and let them pass you. Trust me when you get fast you'll want the same respect from the slower guys on the track.

J.Sears 11-06-2010 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=JAMMINKRAZY;8175836]Very true as well. Not bunching up at starts is a big one. It is slower for everybody if everyone bunches up at the start of a race. Give yourself and others some room to breathe at the start of a race. Most tracks now a days use a rolling start system, especially for nitro qualifiers. This system works really well, and can help minimize the bunching up, however you still have to be smart. Slow down and wait a few seconds for some space before you cross the line.

Same applies if someone catches you during a race. They're already beating you, just let them by and continue on. When doing this, don't stop on the track to do it, just swing wide in a corner and let them take the inside. Doing so will also help you make friends on

the track. If you don't, be prepared to be put into a tube.;):lol:[/QU

+1 very good advice. Respect the other drivers that are faster than you and let them pass you. Trust me when you get fast you'll want the same respect from the slower guys on the track.

J.Sears 11-06-2010 11:49 PM

Sorry don't know why it post twice. Lol

toofless 11-07-2010 07:09 AM

re

let the fast guy pass then follow him if you canworks well for me for a lap or two until stupid takes my radio away from me lol

Goomba_7 11-07-2010 10:00 PM

Just some racing advice too, unless your racing with the top dogs of your track in the A Main, it pays to be patient in the first turn. Everyone is so Jacked up about getting to turn one and being able to "race" someone that they forget that the first lap still has ump-teen turns, and you get a bunch of guys barreling into turn one only to create a pile up.

It pays to either wait and let them pile up ahead of you or get there first and stay clear of the pile up. The tough part of letting them pile up in front of you is you still have to dodge them. And you'll always have the guys that think pinning the throttle as soon as someone flips them over is going to win them the race when really they tend to get out of control again and stuff it or punt you. It's a fine line.

tkhoo 11-08-2010 07:16 AM

Hi, may I know the time start counting after we pass the 1st lap?