R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Question/Problem?With Wheel Balancer

I have a Ultimate Racing Wheel Balancer and i want to balance my Truggy VTR wheels.Today i test the balancer for first time , i put the wheel at the 17mm hub and then i tight the nut i mark where is the heaviest part and i put puttie at the other side ok i balance my wheel/tire perfectly BUT when i untight the nut and put the wheel again at the balancer but at different side of the hub ,Now my wheel is unbalanced again it shows me that the side of the puttie is the heaviest part. And when i change again the side at the hub(the hub have six sides,hexagon) then the wheel shows again unbalanced ,If i put the wheel at the side of the hub that i balanced in the start then ok the wheel is balanced .
My question is the Shaft of wheel balancer with the hub is unbalanced so i have different reads at all of the sides of the hub?
Sorry for my bad English i hope to understand what i write ..
the_winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_winner View Post
I have a Ultimate Racing Wheel Balancer and i want to balance my Truggy VTR wheels.Today i test the balancer for first time , i put the wheel at the 17mm hub and then i tight the nut i mark where is the heaviest part and i put puttie at the other side ok i balance my wheel/tire perfectly BUT when i untight the nut and put the wheel again at the balancer but at different side of the hub ,Now my wheel is unbalanced again it shows me that the side of the puttie is the heaviest part. And when i change again the side at the hub(the hub have six sides,hexagon) then the wheel shows again unbalanced ,If i put the wheel at the side of the hub that i balanced in the start then ok the wheel is balanced .
My question is the Shaft of wheel balancer with the hub is unbalanced so i have different reads at all of the sides of the hub?
Sorry for my bad English i hope to understand what i write ..
Does the balancer shaft "balance" when placed on the balancer?

If the hex adapter isn't balanced, then yes, you'll see the same effects.

It sounds like the shaft you mount the tire on isn't balanced, which will throw off your readings.

Take the balanced tire(the one you put putty on) and mount it on the car. If it vibrates at speed, it's the balancer shaft throwing the tire's "true" balance off.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular

thanks for the reply.. i think that the shaft/17mm hub is unbalanced ..pff
Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't have the exact same balancer, but the seals on the bearings were causing just enough drag to prevent the heavy spot from going all the way to the bottom. This caused me to place the weight in the wrong place, and of course, the tire was still out of balance. Removed the seals and all is fine.
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I have the same problem, the seals of the two bearings (4 seals) are making the wheel stop randomly all over the place. I get somewhat decent readings.
Take the seals off, blow the grease out and put one tiny drop of oil in each bearing.
Store the balancer in a sealed bag when not in use.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Tech Regular

thanks for the reply again, my bearings are metal shield .The seal/shield is in standard place the dont move so to make the readings off... and i have spray with degrease and they spin very well... I will replace the bearings with some new without seals and very well cleaned and i will post again
But i dont think that the bearings are the problem ,the wheel is heavy if the bearing have a small/small drag there is no prob,
My problem is that when i put the wheel at any of the six sides of the hex(17mm) it ''shows'' me different reading at all of the sides ..
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I had the same problem as you,I removed the metal shields and gave it a good spray with WD40.
Works good now.No need to get new bearings.
RustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Danny B

one little trick I found also is to push the shaft back so the e-clip on the back side of the balancer doesn't rub the bearing. and clean the bearings out as stated above!
Danny B R/C Products,
LRT Raceway, Evansdale, IA
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Tech Regular

@Rustyone
with the same wheel balancer ?