Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend? >

Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend?

Is this the next evolution....integrated skid plates in the chassis? Replace a $1 skid plate(plastic) every month as opposed to $100 chassis every so many gallons? Remember you freaks, some people actually race on a more abrasive surface than your home track, which I know rules and you get 57 gallons out of your chassis Agama was the first to do this i believe. Theirs is plastic. So either that or aluminum would be perfect. Siht, offer steel too I guess. Non integrated skid plates are basher style Cause more drag and can rip off...

Old 11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by one-eight
Is this the next evolution....integrated skid plates in the chassis? Replace a $1 skid plate(plastic) every month as opposed to $100 chassis every so many gallons? Remember you freaks, some people actually race on a more abrasive surface than your home track, which I know rules and you get 57 gallons out of your chassis Agama was the first to do this i believe. Theirs is plastic. So either that or aluminum would be perfect. Siht, offer steel too I guess. Non integrated skid plates are basher style Cause more drag and can rip off...

LOT OF SCREWS ON THE UNDER SIDE OF THAT AGAMA!!
I'm not sure the Losi chassis has a removable integrated skid plate, it looks like a one off chassis for the worlds track besides, by the time my chassis is worn out on both ends it usualy has other little tweaks so after the season is done the smartest think to do is get a fresh chassis...
That's my point of view.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gameholic2
I'm not sure the Losi chassis has a removable integrated skid plate, it looks like a one off chassis for the worlds track besides, by the time my chassis is worn out on both ends it usualy has other little tweaks so after the season is done the smartest think to do is get a fresh chassis...
That's my point of view.
Screws aint the point. As far as a one off Losi chassis, thats why I said 'Worlds trend' For as a chassis lasting all season for you, I will reference my post...
Remember you freaks, some people actually race on a more abrasive surface than your home track, which I know rules and you get 57 gallons out of your chassis
Some only get a few gallons out of their chassis depending where they run!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gameholic2
If you look at the details of the picture, the first would appear to be a Durango...not an Agama...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I thought he was just making a general statement. YES, THE CARS PICTURED ABOVE ARE DURANGO AND LOSI!!!! Feel free to post up pics of any integrated skids......
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

First off, the chassis in the first pic isn't the Agama, it's the Durango.

As for the question of whether this is the "next evolution," I would have to say yes, and frankly I don't know why it took so long. Making the skid plate integrated (quasi-flush) is, I think, what sealed the deal. The plastic aftermarket units were a great starting point, but they affect ride height and yes, they can snag. Then again, it was the best possible solution without modifying the existing chassis plate.

Will using a skid plate automatically make your chassis last for 2 seasons rather than 1? I don't think so. You have to remember that the chassis undergoes constant mechanical loading in the form of flex, which invariably leads to metal fatigue.

Just take your brand new chassis and put it against a straight metal ruler: you'll notice that the chassis is bent slightly upwards from the factory. Now race that chassis for a full season, and then put it back against that same metal edge. You'll see that the chassis is now slightly "warped" the other way. It might not be worn through with a skid plate, but it may get to a point where the chassis develops a "bendy" spot down the middle that will mess up the gear mesh between the clutch-bell & spur, causing you to blow clutch bearings, chipping gear teeth or just plain causing you to DNF.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

All valid points!^^ I guess Im mainly referring to........ you ever have a race coming up at a certain track that you are dreading because its a super abrasive, chassis eating monster that you limit going to, cause damn it beats car, tires, wallet etc.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Agama also has removable skid plates. I've replaced them 4 times in tge 12+ gallons my car has. My chassis will last atleast 15 more gallons at this rate.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

I got 57 1/2 gallons out of my chassis. I will just buy a new one. Grab em off ebay for 50 bucks... If this is the future, its gonna cost more.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
I got 57 1/2 gallons out of my chassis. I will just buy a new one. Grab em off ebay for 50 bucks... If this is the future, its gonna cost more.
Gotta love internet forums The skids for the Agama cost nothing. All manufacturers chassis are not available 'off ebay for 50 bucks'
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All valid points!^^ I guess Im mainly referring to........ you ever have a race coming up at a certain track that you are dreading because its a super abrasive, chassis eating monster that you limit going to, cause damn it beats car, tires, wallet etc.
Well I don't race, but even if I did, my biggest problem isn't wear, it's my driving: skiddy plates don't do nuthin' to protect ya from lawn-darting
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Gotta love internet forums The skids for the Agama cost nothing. All manufacturers chassis are not available 'off ebay for 50 bucks'
So they will give you plastic (going by the pic) skid plates for free as long as you own the car?
My point was, now that companies might be going in that direction, its gonna cost more in the long run. Now you have to by THEIR skid plates. And the chassis will be more expensive cause they wont sell as many.
I personally IN MY OPINION think its better to leave the chassis alone and if you wanna buy skid plate, you have that option. They make steel plates for different chassis.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
So they will give you plastic (going by the pic) skid plates for free as long as you own the car?
My point was, now that companies might be going in that direction, its gonna cost more in the long run. Now you have to by THEIR skid plates. And the chassis will be more expensive cause they wont sell as many.
I personally IN MY OPINION think its better to leave the chassis alone and if you wanna buy skid plate, you have that option. They make steel plates for different chassis.
I hear you on the price point. I think you are missing the point of integrated skid plates. They dont have integrated steel plates for any chassis. Agama is th only company that uses this variety. Until now
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

I hear you on the price point. I think you are missing the point of integrated skid plates. They dont have integrated steel plates for any chassis. Agama is th only company that uses this variety. Until now
I understood........
Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
First off, the chassis in the first pic isn't the Agama, it's the Durango.

As for the question of whether this is the "next evolution," I would have to say yes, and frankly I don't know why it took so long. Making the skid plate integrated (quasi-flush) is, I think, what sealed the deal. The plastic aftermarket units were a great starting point, but they affect ride height and yes, they can snag. Then again, it was the best possible solution without modifying the existing chassis plate.

Will using a skid plate automatically make your chassis last for 2 seasons rather than 1? I don't think so. You have to remember that the chassis undergoes constant mechanical loading in the form of flex, which invariably leads to metal fatigue.

Just take your brand new chassis and put it against a straight metal ruler: you'll notice that the chassis is bent slightly upwards from the factory. Now race that chassis for a full season, and then put it back against that same metal edge. You'll see that the chassis is now slightly "warped" the other way. It might not be worn through with a skid plate, but it may get to a point where the chassis develops a "bendy" spot down the middle that will mess up the gear mesh between the clutch-bell & spur, causing you to blow clutch bearings, chipping gear teeth or just plain causing you to DNF.
You may have just explained why I am only getting 6 - 7 minutes out of clutch bearings, and in the past fortnight have 1 - exploded a clutch bell (at flywheel gearing) and 2 - chipped teeth from 2nd bell.

Hmmm, 1 race to go in the season, before I switch class, looks like I wont race anymore this year. no point buying new chassis plate for 1 race.

Might have to swap out my chassis for another 1 I have (was not blowing bells before)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.