R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #31
Tech Addict

i use 2 temp gauges for break in of these Taiwan engines, and i always get someone to temp my engines at the end of heats/mains just to see if performance compares to temp as a guide line.
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
i use 2 temp gauges for break in of these Taiwan engines, and i always get someone to temp my engines at the end of heats/mains just to see if performance compares to temp as a guide line.
Agreed...

I use my temp gun only as a last check at the end of a heat / main, and I really only use is to make sure I'm not going too high above my particular "comfort zone" for engines. If the engine is performing well, and the temp is reading lower than normal, so be it. Depending on conditions, the same engine may run just as great at 200 deg as it does at 240.

It's also a good tool for troubleshooting. Choose the gun you like, and stick with it. As long as you use it only as a reference, and you always use the same gun, you should be fine.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMO temp guns cant be trusted for tuning at all. i see people time and time again tuning mostly by temp and its so far off its not even funny. i know one guy runs his bottom so rich that he runs the top so lean to get the temp up, his engines are lucky to last 3-4 gallons without having issues, flame outs left and right. i see people doing it every weekend. i hardly ever check my temp. if its running good and its smoking i leave it. also you cant say one engine runs at lets say 230-240 for everyone, fuel plays a big part, i know when i switch from Byrons to Odonnell fuel my temps went down about 15 degrees. with my Alphas, one day it will run around 240 and the next day around 280-290, i just leave it be. people will say im crazy but i get my life out of the engines 8+ gallons almost always (except extech )... my JPX always seems to run around 235 but ive ran it as low as 210 and as high as 250. and then the OD SS runs at 235 almost every time i check it. i hardly ever have flame outs, i honestly cant remember the last flame out i had. i think most important thing to do is not tune by temp at all, just check it here or there but if its running good let it be. also running engines rich will not lengthen the life of the engine it can shorten it just as fast as running a little lean.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hear 657 even uses his temp gun to check his morning coffee! He needs to lay off that thing
Show871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show871 View Post
I hear 657 even uses his temp gun to check his morning coffee! He needs to lay off that thing
thats how knew my temp gun was junk, i kept burning myself when my temp gun said it was just right!
Riva-Sinister Skis-Jetworks-Jet Pilot
Coorslight
lanmine657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I dont use one and havent for years. Like said earlier buy the time you temp it the engine has already cooled.