R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
I set mine to that as the book said and I was 50+* over all other temp guns I checked it against. I went back to 77 and I was within 15* of the others. I wish I knew how it worked and how to calibrate it.... I just don't understand it really. Thanks for the reply tho!

this has some really good links to explain a few thing's.

http://www.tempgun.com/FAQ.html#3

google emissivity and you'll get a general explanation as well
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
this has some really good links to explain a few thing's.

http://www.tempgun.com/FAQ.html#3

google emissivity and you'll get a general explanation as well
Thank ya much!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

buy a exergen if you are going to use a temp gun and want it to be close
but do not tune with it tune your motor by feel and smoke then use the temp gun to see where it is at i use temp gun mainly from track to track to see how much temp changes in different areas and i like to know when come off track what temp motor is at so if i feel it was too lean or if i need a little more power i can do it without getting motor too hot where will start running bad
and a hint if you watch a sportsman tuned motor most will smoke on bottom to middle then less smoke at full throttle
and in the pro class the tunes usually produce little to no smoke on bottom to middle then good smoke at full throttle
if you figure out how to tune your motor so it does this you will find it to idle better and get better fuel mileage and overall power goodluck to all tuning i have my own way that works for me and i have good luck with no flame outs and good run times with my motors
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
Does anyone know what Emissivity level you should run your temp gun at. Mine came set at 77E I believe but after reading the book it said I should set it around 95E. When I did this my temp gun was no where near what others at that track were it was much higher so I set it back and left it at 77.... Anybody know anything about this Emissivity? If so, please enlighten me.

I rarely use my gun now either. What I have found out is that if anything starts running erratic it can help you quickly find a situation to track down so I check it if I am suspicious of something. Like one time I was running nearly perfect then it seemed like my eninge started surging in a couple of turns or on a long straight - but re-tuing richer caused it to run really rich - not really a tuning problem it seems but what? Put the needles back and put one more lap on it and it temp. at like 290! Turns out the fuel line had just developed a crack in it by the fuel filter from a bad tumble and had I not checked the temp. I probably would have run it for many more laps wondering what the surge was before the fuel line just finally came right off. Strange example but I always check temp at least once or twice a day and grab it when something "seems wrong" to make sure I'm not destroying the engine while trying to figure out something that is starting to go wrong. Have found this to be useful a couple of times now.
What I really wanted to give my $0.02 on though is that you can take your head with an old glow plug in it and stick it in a boiling pot of water. Place the head in long enough to saturate it with heat and see if it reads about 212deg with the same distance and angle you usually temp your head at. This will tell you if E is set right I believe. I used this method to check my temp gun readings even though it's not adjustable.
I've also been told that many people make the mistake of pointing it too far towards the exhaust side of the head and get higher temp than is reality. Aim straight for the glow plug and be consistent aimer to get consistently useable readings!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So I think someone may have covered this in a previous post. But temp guns are dependent on the reflective nature of the material. So if you have two items that are different materials but the same temperature they will likely read differently on the temp gun. The key to Nitro tuning is make sure the high end needle is balanced with the low end needle, and the overall tune is on the rich side of stoichiometric. Basicly if you have smoke coming out of the exhaust your usually good, when that smoke thins out or goes away your to lean. Check plug condition / coloring with a new plug. Temps are just a reference point and shouldn't be used much for tuning except to reference how your engine runs best for ballpark. For reference I actually use a temp gun maybe once a weekend in nitro, but almost every run in electric. Why? Because I don't trust a temp gun with my engines. I trust the clock, smoke and how the car feels. So with tuning and maintaining your engine (cleaning after a run, using a brush while covering the front bearing and making sure the carb is plugged (plastic plug) and replacing orings, cleaning out the carb and making sure your engine is in top shape will have you smiling and winning the races when everyone else drops back

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

just wondering, what is the best cleaner to clean the tips of the temp guns with?

www.IERCRaceway.com - www.Facebook.com/IERCRaceway
So*Cal AFDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Trust a temp gun? Nope. But you can use one to get a ballpark reading. Once you've been tuning for awhile you'll get the hang of tuning by power, sound, and smoke. Using a temp gun too much will hold you back as far as learning how to tune. You'll come to rely on that number too much.
cjwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwilly View Post
Trust a temp gun? Nope. But you can use one to get a ballpark reading. Once you've been tuning for awhile you'll get the hang of tuning by power, sound, and smoke. Using a temp gun too much will hold you back as far as learning how to tune. You'll come to rely on that number too much.
true but not true...the temp gun WILL save you $....like you said its good for a ballpark reading,BUT its nice to know if your motor is staying consistant on tems REGARDLESS of what is says....not ALL motors run at the same temp even if its the SAME EXACT MOTOR with the same shimming,same fuel and %,same tune and same ENVIROMENT!...cause theres EVERY car is DIFFERENT KNOW MATTER WHAT and the car is what causes the temps.....like clutch,tires, how good the drivetrain is, setup all sorts of things....it just helps me SLEEP BETTER @ NIGHT
RcRenew.com and TritonRc.com~Lucky7~Eazyrc.com
Venom-Group~Upgrade-Rc and TrackstarRc.com
deadmancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
So I think someone may have covered this in a previous post. But temp guns are dependent on the reflective nature of the material. So if you have two items that are different materials but the same temperature they will likely read differently on the temp gun. The key to Nitro tuning is make sure the high end needle is balanced with the low end needle, and the overall tune is on the rich side of stoichiometric. Basicly if you have smoke coming out of the exhaust your usually good, when that smoke thins out or goes away your to lean. Check plug condition / coloring with a new plug. Temps are just a reference point and shouldn't be used much for tuning except to reference how your engine runs best for ballpark. For reference I actually use a temp gun maybe once a weekend in nitro, but almost every run in electric. Why? Because I don't trust a temp gun with my engines. I trust the clock, smoke and how the car feels. So with tuning and maintaining your engine (cleaning after a run, using a brush while covering the front bearing and making sure the carb is plugged (plastic plug) and replacing orings, cleaning out the carb and making sure your engine is in top shape will have you smiling and winning the races when everyone else drops back
What you're talking about.... "the reflective nature of the material" Is what Emissivity is measuring isn't it? That's the way I understood it. However, as per the instructions on mine I set it to 95E. As I said this is way off the norm. I try not to temp tune but I do monitor. So I'd like to be as close as possible.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
just wondering, what is the best cleaner to clean the tips of the temp guns with?

q-tip with a little alcohol.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Plain and simple the answer is NO. I have an exergen and when compared to another exergen they were 15 degrees different, consistent but still not the same. It's all in the performance like mentioned above look for smoke listen for a lean bog and feel if the power drops off of stays constant. I use the temp gun just to make sure I'm not running 300 degrees but I don't trust it no matter what temp gun you are using. The worst I have used are the gun type from sears that shoot a laser out. Those are the most inconsistent I have seen.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Like it was stated before, water boils at 212f and freezes at 32f. It would be harder to do the boiling water deal, but a simple check is a cup of ice(about 75% ice) and water. Stir/swirl it a little and take a reading. I would recommend using a styrofoam cup if possible.

Thank You!!
Mr.Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The biggest error people make is that they want to se a number of about 100 celcius and the engine is performing right. Actually you must work in the other way, just be sure the engine is performing OK, messure the temp and use the same messure methode and messured number on that engine as an indication.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Good stuff to read. I enjoed it thanls
Snowbum32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

TEMP GUNS ARE JUNK! i dont care what brand,how you clean it,or how you can explain your explanation! most of you fools on here start talking about some random thing when someone asks a simple question! this sport is RACING with metal and fire! were not building a spacecraft out of balsa wood. most of you try to get so technical on things that dont help "your pro skills" or the average joe. ect,LIKE... "the perfect gear mesh is by using a piece of paper" shut the f=[% up! if you cant help out with a question that someone is asking than dont explain how someone is doing something wrong. ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE THAT THERES JUNK CARS, PARTS AND TOOLS OUT THERE!!!!
Chadstrotheide is offline   Reply With Quote