R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Default alloy skid plate

hey all did some messing around today. got some aluminum($12 for a 2m strip) and crafted my own skid plates for the agama no more plastic for me plus i have enough to make a heap more. took me about 20mins to hand craft theses beauties
Attached Thumbnails
Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend?-img_0259.jpg   Its about time! Will manufacturers keep this Worlds (Agama?) trend?-img_0260.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am pretty suer the HB VE8 had these first. As they have a plastic chassis and you can replace the skids with the alum ones for durability.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
hey all did some messing around today. got some aluminum($12 for a 2m strip) and crafted my own skid plates for the agama no more plastic for me plus i have enough to make a heap more. took me about 20mins to hand craft theses beauties
You bought the wrong material nu66et. steel would allow you to make that skid thin and fit flush. some nice tool steel would be the bomb.

I take it the agama has a recess for the skid?
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-eight View Post
Is this the next evolution....integrated skid plates in the chassis? Replace a $1 skid plate(plastic) every month as opposed to $100 chassis every so many gallons? Remember you freaks, some people actually race on a more abrasive surface than your home track, which I know rules and you get 57 gallons out of your chassis Agama was the first to do this i believe. Theirs is plastic. So either that or aluminum would be perfect. Siht, offer steel too I guess. Non integrated skid plates are basher style Cause more drag and can rip off...

Nothing new about skids they have BEEN around thats not any thing that would MAKE "Me" want to buy that they have skids for almost every truggy & buggy that is out
AGAMA has a lot to prove before it will be on TOP skids isnt going to get you a 1st place at the Track or in Sales and some thing to think about WERE WILL YOU BUY PARTS ??????? Not track side yes you can get them on line but make sure you have what your going to Brake because NO ONE or VERY FEW tracks & hobby shops will stock parts for this brand for the first few YEARS there waiting just like me to see how long its going to stick around & how many guys will run that brand...
Not saying its JUNK but not saying its #1 Time Will Tell..
Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF420 View Post
Nothing new about skids they have BEEN around thats not any thing that would MAKE "Me" want to buy that they have skids for almost every truggy & buggy that is out
AGAMA has a lot to prove before it will be on TOP skids isnt going to get you a 1st place at the Track or in Sales and some thing to think about WERE WILL YOU BUY PARTS ??????? Not track side yes you can get them on line but make sure you have what your going to Brake because NO ONE or VERY FEW tracks & hobby shops will stock parts for this brand for the first few YEARS there waiting just like me to see how long its going to stick around & how many guys will run that brand...
Not saying its JUNK but not saying its #1 Time Will Tell..
I am doubting your comprehension skills. But maybe its I just havent seen INTEGRATED, FLUSH WITH CHASSIS SKID GUARDS in my 10 years of 1/8 buggy.

Agama is a great buggy it seems. Its a great selling point.....no down side
one-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

the Agama has a recess for the skid plate, was thinking of thin steel but the hardware store had none so i went with the alumi, its 1mm thicker than the plastic skids plus i thought id give it ago and see how it holds up
Old 11-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

And the second chassis... is a Losi.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like the new plates, I guess we will see after the worlds.
sluggo_sx8 is offline   Reply With Quote