R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)
Default i need some help to pick a truggy

ok guys i am getting back in to the hobby and i need some info and i came up i wanna run a truggy class but have abit of truble picking a car i like the lrp truggy then i like the hot bodies truggy and then i saw the losi one but losi rtr truggy is like $950 and the lrp truggy is rtr is like $499 and if i do the hot bodies one it cost oh most same losi i wanna know what will good truggy to race with good handle power and can handle some my bumps good rear grip so any advice i am in aussie qld
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbonzakura View Post
ok guys i am getting back in to the hobby and i need some info and i came up i wanna run a truggy class but have abit of truble picking a car i like the lrp truggy then i like the hot bodies truggy and then i saw the losi one but losi rtr truggy is like $950 and the lrp truggy is rtr is like $499 and if i do the hot bodies one it cost oh most same losi i wanna know what will good truggy to race with good handle power and can handle some my bumps good rear grip so any advice i am in aussie qld
You can't go wrong with a losi 2.0. I have been rolling one since it came out and it is a solid platform. The ae truggy is nice too. Personally I don't like hb but it's personal. Just my 2 cents
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Been running the Losi 8T 2.0 since day one. I run the alum hubs, spindles and carriers, also the adjustable hinge pin holders front and back, alum bearing holders rear. Yes a few hop-ups, and I have not broken anything that I have not caused by running into fence post. It has been stellar to race. Setup is easy, and their is ALOT of support at the local tracks. Not sure where you are tho, being you asked for a LRP truggy...

Losi - highly recommended: That is my opinion.

Mugen would be my second.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've owned the losi 2.0 , rc8t and now the mugen. The mugen has been faster, more durable and easier to drive then the others mentioned. Drove the hb a few weeks ago also, didn't care for it at all.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Figured what you want to spend first off. Next availability of parts is important if ur just starting out. I am running the D8T and have had no parts break just normal wear and tear. Look at what every one at ur track is running to, as it's helpful to have guys that know the car and can set you up correctly.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Tech Addict

I've been running the losi 2.0 since day one and still do. I can't say i'm very impressed. Sure it handles good but it has problems. You'll need aluminum diff inserts day one and learn how to shim to a T(i've never blown a ring and pinion but have seen plenty of folks including fast guys blow them) and Aluminum servo saver top. If you want to run your carb perfectly 90 degrees you'll need a 60 dollar center diff split mount. I have had plenty of linkage binding even with the linkage setup to a T. The shock screws tend to back out after a long main. It eats throttle servos because of the poorly designed center diff in the way of the linkage being straight unless you buy the above part. You get all this for the awesome price of 600 bucks. If I didn't have enough parts to do a total rebuild i'd surely be researching better options. My 2 cents. If you really think you'll love racing don't go RTR. Buy everything separately and get what you want. You'll be much happier. I'm not going to provide any other brand car because all i know is the losi. In the long run the Losi will cost you more $$$.

You can get the losi rtr for a good price here: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1344.

If you go that route here is my opinion: Sell the motor new and buy a real motor. Junk the stock servos and get some hitec 7955 or 7950's. Get the alum diff inserts and servo saver top. Learn how to set the linkage up and pray it works. You'll have a decent starter vehicle. Don't let the RTR chassis get in your head. I changed mine to a race chassis and felt NO difference.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A great chassis can turn into a horrible race machine if it doesnt have any local support for parts and tech advice.

Whatever you pick, make sure it is supported well with a shop or dealer selling parts, and some local knowledge on setting it up.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
I've been running the losi 2.0 since day one and still do. I can't say i'm very impressed. Sure it handles good but it has problems. You'll need aluminum diff inserts day one and learn how to shim to a T(i've never blown a ring and pinion but have seen plenty of folks including fast guys blow them) and Aluminum servo saver top. If you want to run your carb perfectly 90 degrees you'll need a 60 dollar center diff split mount. I have had plenty of linkage binding even with the linkage setup to a T. The shock screws tend to back out after a long main. It eats throttle servos because of the poorly designed center diff in the way of the linkage being straight unless you buy the above part. You get all this for the awesome price of 600 bucks. If I didn't have enough parts to do a total rebuild i'd surely be researching better options. My 2 cents. If you really think you'll love racing don't go RTR. Buy everything separately and get what you want. You'll be much happier. I'm not going to provide any other brand car because all i know is the losi. In the long run the Losi will cost you more $$$.

You can get the losi rtr for a good price here: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1344.

If you go that route here is my opinion: Sell the motor new and buy a real motor. Junk the stock servos and get some hitec 7955 or 7950's. Get the alum diff inserts and servo saver top. Learn how to set the linkage up and pray it works. You'll have a decent starter vehicle. Don't let the RTR chassis get in your head. I changed mine to a race chassis and felt NO difference.
I've had the exact opposite experience. My rigs don't eat servos, i don't have problems with linkages, shimming or radio tray. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had nothing but great luck with my losi's and would highly recommend them to everyone, but thats my personal preference/experience.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I've had the exact opposite experience. My rigs don't eat servos, i don't have problems with linkages, shimming or radio tray. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had nothing but great luck with my losi's and would highly recommend them to everyone, but thats my personal preference/experience.
Same - no problems here. I would just say, keep in mind - good servos.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hot Bodies all the way
Slimsh8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Tech Addict

The hotbodies at least come with quick engine change mounts and some other race inspired features like opposite shock screws so they don't back out. Everything on the Losi is extra and parts cost a premium. I hear Gil actually left his own brand and went Kyosho LOL. I'll run mine another season since i have parts for a rebuild but unless a 3.0 comes out that has some of this stuff fixed i'll be shopping something else for my next rig.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

+1 FLHX1550 Well said my friend..... I ran XRAY but I also had to bring a box of parts as i was the SOLO guy running one at the track. Its nice to walk over to the guy pitting next to you and ask for a part. 8 out 10 times they will give you the part...... just when you place your next order get two and replace the one you got... Also had a HONG NOR, RC8T, XRAY, for 2 yrs. and know MUGEN
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
The hotbodies at least come with quick engine change mounts and some other race inspired features like opposite shock screws so they don't back out. Everything on the Losi is extra and parts cost a premium. I hear Gil actually left his own brand and went Kyosho LOL. I'll run mine another season since i have parts for a rebuild but unless a 3.0 comes out that has some of this stuff fixed i'll be shopping something else for my next rig.
The parts are dirt cheap, where do you shop for parts? Check ebay you can buy any part you need for alot cheaper than a hobby shop due to folks who buy race roller rigs and tear them apart and resell the parts seperately. I know there are lots of people who race mugen, kyosho, hot bodies buggys but run an 8-t truggy due to how well they perform and the build quality.

I'm not calling you a liar by any means i'm just stating that its wierd we have 2 complete opposite experiences with the same product.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i personally like the d8t better, i have owned both
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Tech Prophet

well i, havent driven anything diffrent than a eight- t 1.0 but im not bias so if your a budget go with a hb d8t i havnt heard that many things bad about it.

not brand, is perfect even losi me myself is going to try out a rc8t champ ed and there is a couple of people with them at my track also so that helps.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote