R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 870
Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)
Default i need some help to pick a truggy

ok guys i am getting back in to the hobby and i need some info and i came up i wanna run a truggy class but have abit of truble picking a car i like the lrp truggy then i like the hot bodies truggy and then i saw the losi one but losi rtr truggy is like $950 and the lrp truggy is rtr is like $499 and if i do the hot bodies one it cost oh most same losi i wanna know what will good truggy to race with good handle power and can handle some my bumps good rear grip so any advice i am in aussie qld
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbonzakura View Post
ok guys i am getting back in to the hobby and i need some info and i came up i wanna run a truggy class but have abit of truble picking a car i like the lrp truggy then i like the hot bodies truggy and then i saw the losi one but losi rtr truggy is like $950 and the lrp truggy is rtr is like $499 and if i do the hot bodies one it cost oh most same losi i wanna know what will good truggy to race with good handle power and can handle some my bumps good rear grip so any advice i am in aussie qld
You can't go wrong with a losi 2.0. I have been rolling one since it came out and it is a solid platform. The ae truggy is nice too. Personally I don't like hb but it's personal. Just my 2 cents
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Been running the Losi 8T 2.0 since day one. I run the alum hubs, spindles and carriers, also the adjustable hinge pin holders front and back, alum bearing holders rear. Yes a few hop-ups, and I have not broken anything that I have not caused by running into fence post. It has been stellar to race. Setup is easy, and their is ALOT of support at the local tracks. Not sure where you are tho, being you asked for a LRP truggy...

Losi - highly recommended: That is my opinion.

Mugen would be my second.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
jzemaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,586
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I've owned the losi 2.0 , rc8t and now the mugen. The mugen has been faster, more durable and easier to drive then the others mentioned. Drove the hb a few weeks ago also, didn't care for it at all.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKi2 Tekin
Kyosho MP9 TKi2/3 Novarossi BTT
jzemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Tech Addict
 
DezSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Figured what you want to spend first off. Next availability of parts is important if ur just starting out. I am running the D8T and have had no parts break just normal wear and tear. Look at what every one at ur track is running to, as it's helpful to have guys that know the car and can set you up correctly.
__________________
Companies I support
Hot Bodies*Futaba*Novarossi*JConcepts*Hitec*Upgrade Rc*Kalgard*Sidewinder Fuel*Dialed
Arcor Raceway
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I've been running the losi 2.0 since day one and still do. I can't say i'm very impressed. Sure it handles good but it has problems. You'll need aluminum diff inserts day one and learn how to shim to a T(i've never blown a ring and pinion but have seen plenty of folks including fast guys blow them) and Aluminum servo saver top. If you want to run your carb perfectly 90 degrees you'll need a 60 dollar center diff split mount. I have had plenty of linkage binding even with the linkage setup to a T. The shock screws tend to back out after a long main. It eats throttle servos because of the poorly designed center diff in the way of the linkage being straight unless you buy the above part. You get all this for the awesome price of 600 bucks. If I didn't have enough parts to do a total rebuild i'd surely be researching better options. My 2 cents. If you really think you'll love racing don't go RTR. Buy everything separately and get what you want. You'll be much happier. I'm not going to provide any other brand car because all i know is the losi. In the long run the Losi will cost you more $$$.

You can get the losi rtr for a good price here: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1344.

If you go that route here is my opinion: Sell the motor new and buy a real motor. Junk the stock servos and get some hitec 7955 or 7950's. Get the alum diff inserts and servo saver top. Learn how to set the linkage up and pray it works. You'll have a decent starter vehicle. Don't let the RTR chassis get in your head. I changed mine to a race chassis and felt NO difference.
__________________
Losi 8ight T 2.0 - Mugen Ninja
Mugen Eco - Tekin 1900KV RX8
Byrons 30%
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
FLHX1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyoming, MN
Posts: 1,712
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

A great chassis can turn into a horrible race machine if it doesnt have any local support for parts and tech advice.

Whatever you pick, make sure it is supported well with a shop or dealer selling parts, and some local knowledge on setting it up.
__________________
JConcepts - TKO - RW Mods - B-Fast - MODX Motors & Batteries - Skare OCD Designs
FLHX1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
I've been running the losi 2.0 since day one and still do. I can't say i'm very impressed. Sure it handles good but it has problems. You'll need aluminum diff inserts day one and learn how to shim to a T(i've never blown a ring and pinion but have seen plenty of folks including fast guys blow them) and Aluminum servo saver top. If you want to run your carb perfectly 90 degrees you'll need a 60 dollar center diff split mount. I have had plenty of linkage binding even with the linkage setup to a T. The shock screws tend to back out after a long main. It eats throttle servos because of the poorly designed center diff in the way of the linkage being straight unless you buy the above part. You get all this for the awesome price of 600 bucks. If I didn't have enough parts to do a total rebuild i'd surely be researching better options. My 2 cents. If you really think you'll love racing don't go RTR. Buy everything separately and get what you want. You'll be much happier. I'm not going to provide any other brand car because all i know is the losi. In the long run the Losi will cost you more $$$.

You can get the losi rtr for a good price here: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1344.

If you go that route here is my opinion: Sell the motor new and buy a real motor. Junk the stock servos and get some hitec 7955 or 7950's. Get the alum diff inserts and servo saver top. Learn how to set the linkage up and pray it works. You'll have a decent starter vehicle. Don't let the RTR chassis get in your head. I changed mine to a race chassis and felt NO difference.
I've had the exact opposite experience. My rigs don't eat servos, i don't have problems with linkages, shimming or radio tray. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had nothing but great luck with my losi's and would highly recommend them to everyone, but thats my personal preference/experience.
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I've had the exact opposite experience. My rigs don't eat servos, i don't have problems with linkages, shimming or radio tray. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had nothing but great luck with my losi's and would highly recommend them to everyone, but thats my personal preference/experience.
Same - no problems here. I would just say, keep in mind - good servos.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Slimsh8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Hot Bodies all the way
__________________
Kevin Murphy
Associated B5m/Reedy
AP Custom Paint/Kal-Gard/
Slimsh8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

The hotbodies at least come with quick engine change mounts and some other race inspired features like opposite shock screws so they don't back out. Everything on the Losi is extra and parts cost a premium. I hear Gil actually left his own brand and went Kyosho LOL. I'll run mine another season since i have parts for a rebuild but unless a 3.0 comes out that has some of this stuff fixed i'll be shopping something else for my next rig.
__________________
Losi 8ight T 2.0 - Mugen Ninja
Mugen Eco - Tekin 1900KV RX8
Byrons 30%
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
hellfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wi.
Posts: 2,926
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

+1 FLHX1550 Well said my friend..... I ran XRAY but I also had to bring a box of parts as i was the SOLO guy running one at the track. Its nice to walk over to the guy pitting next to you and ask for a part. 8 out 10 times they will give you the part...... just when you place your next order get two and replace the one you got... Also had a HONG NOR, RC8T, XRAY, for 2 yrs. and know MUGEN
__________________
~ Scott McTaggart ~ *In Memory Of Shaun Neary*
~ GotNitroOnline.com ~ The home of Radical 621T motors Thanks Dave ~
~MnNitroSeries.com ~ Lucky 13 Speedway ~
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
The hotbodies at least come with quick engine change mounts and some other race inspired features like opposite shock screws so they don't back out. Everything on the Losi is extra and parts cost a premium. I hear Gil actually left his own brand and went Kyosho LOL. I'll run mine another season since i have parts for a rebuild but unless a 3.0 comes out that has some of this stuff fixed i'll be shopping something else for my next rig.
The parts are dirt cheap, where do you shop for parts? Check ebay you can buy any part you need for alot cheaper than a hobby shop due to folks who buy race roller rigs and tear them apart and resell the parts seperately. I know there are lots of people who race mugen, kyosho, hot bodies buggys but run an 8-t truggy due to how well they perform and the build quality.

I'm not calling you a liar by any means i'm just stating that its wierd we have 2 complete opposite experiences with the same product.
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: south florida
Posts: 7,704
Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)
Default

i personally like the d8t better, i have owned both
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

well i, havent driven anything diffrent than a eight- t 1.0 but im not bias so if your a budget go with a hb d8t i havnt heard that many things bad about it.

not brand, is perfect even losi me myself is going to try out a rc8t champ ed and there is a couple of people with them at my track also so that helps.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jammin CRT .5 = 1/12 Truggy Team Kamikaze Nitro Off-Road 2269 07-02-2017 04:32 PM
Need some help D8T or ST-RR endzz Nitro Off-Road 14 07-11-2010 04:58 PM
Help Me Pick a Buggy Grimlock212 Nitro Off-Road 77 01-29-2010 12:02 PM
Noob with an XT8...Need some help/advice with this thing please! Reevo Nitro Off-Road 38 11-07-2008 06:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:11 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net