R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Default D8 3mm chassis

Anyone had problems with them bending, seem to be very flexible when compared to the standard?

there have been reports in the uk that they go banana shaped without any significant abuse.

i have fitted mine today and seems quite weak compared to the 4mm or standard, was wondering if alloy braces would help reduce the front to back flex.

Last edited by rjgreen4; 10-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.
rjgreen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

well i cant speak for the d8 i never driven it but i do run a 3mm tft flex chassis for the eight 1.0 t and its been pretty dam strong. no bending

i guess hb maybe hurry to fast to make it but it flexes so much that it bends ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

flex and bending are 2 completly diffrent things. Look at Xray they have lots of flex no matter what you do. If it flex its not bad, now it bending doesnt seem like the companies fault it seems like the racers is abusing it. Any chassis can bend if you case hard, also alloy braces wont cause the flex to really stop its just ganna cause flexing to occur some where else. Ive broke a engine block before on my jammin x1-cr team with all aluminum braces and etc because it had no where to flex but the engine case. Just keep in mind its a race chassis, dont club race it unless you want to but really no point to run it unless you in a series and a lighter car makes you faster. I like my 4mm thickness on my d8.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
flex and bending are 2 completly diffrent things. Look at Xray they have lots of flex no matter what you do. If it flex its not bad, now it bending doesnt seem like the companies fault it seems like the racers is abusing it. Any chassis can bend if you case hard, also alloy braces wont cause the flex to really stop its just ganna cause flexing to occur some where else. Ive broke a engine block before on my jammin x1-cr team with all aluminum braces and etc because it had no where to flex but the engine case. Just keep in mind its a race chassis, dont club race it unless you want to but really no point to run it unless you in a series and a lighter car makes you faster. I like my 4mm thickness on my d8.


i dont know man i race with my tft 1.0 flex chassis on my 1.0 and ive had a couple of hard crashes and its fine im pretty sure its 3mm . made a big diffrence in lap times i club race
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
flex and bending are 2 completly diffrent things. Look at Xray they have lots of flex no matter what you do. If it flex its not bad, now it bending doesnt seem like the companies fault it seems like the racers is abusing it. Any chassis can bend if you case hard, also alloy braces wont cause the flex to really stop its just ganna cause flexing to occur some where else. Ive broke a engine block before on my jammin x1-cr team with all aluminum braces and etc because it had no where to flex but the engine case. Just keep in mind its a race chassis, dont club race it unless you want to but really no point to run it unless you in a series and a lighter car makes you faster. I like my 4mm thickness on my d8.
3mm chassis is made to flex more, better for rougher tracks etc. its worth the money in club racing IMO. the D8 is heavy and the 4mm is stiff. ... on your x1 its something other than flex, i bet you werent using the 1 piece mount and thats what caused them to crack...
__________________
Jonathan Maxey - Mugen Seiki USA, Alpha-Plus Engines, O'donnell Fuel Team, Sweep Racing USA, M2C Racing, Airtronics, TritonRC.com, RC Renew, 4C Hobby Supply
Mugen MBX7 / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX6T / Alpha-Plus Engine / Airtronics M11x
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
transplantlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL/St.Petersburg,FL
Posts: 2,073
Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Default

i remember jesse robbers talking about his 3mm chassis when he was testing it out . he said that it was in betwwen the bce 3mm chassis and the HB 4mm light chassis kinda like a middle ground.
__________________
IM A SURVIOR OF A DOUBLE ORGAN TRANSPLANT KIDNEY/PANCREAS...PLEASE BE A ORGAN DONOR TO GIVE LIFE TO OTHERS!!
transplantlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
3mm chassis is made to flex more, better for rougher tracks etc. its worth the money in club racing IMO. the D8 is heavy and the 4mm is stiff. ... on your x1 its something other than flex, i bet you werent using the 1 piece mount and thats what caused them to crack...

+1 a flex chassis on a rough track makes a big diffrence and easier to drive im sure it goes for the buggys also.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
3mm chassis is made to flex more, better for rougher tracks etc. its worth the money in club racing IMO. the D8 is heavy and the 4mm is stiff. ... on your x1 its something other than flex, i bet you werent using the 1 piece mount and thats what caused them to crack...
i know like i said "flex is not bad" i said now bending is diffrent caused by driver error, a chassis just dont bend i used my old car as a refrence not a comparison.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

The chassis improves the handling by a good amount, but it fatigues quickly.
__________________
-TKO Competition Development-Sidewinder Fuel-
Alan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
The chassis improves the handling by a good amount, but it fatigues quickly.
its not too bad over here, during the winter we race on astroturf tracks therefore no chassis wear.
rjgreen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

The chassis wear isn't the problem. The problem is that once the chassis fatigues it begins to over flex, if you will, and then tanks start getting hurt and front drive shafts get bent every run. At one point you'll have to unbend the chassis after every run.
__________________
-TKO Competition Development-Sidewinder Fuel-
Alan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
kgombe's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,177
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

have you guys notice that on teh 3mm chassis there is 2 extra holes that attacch teh chassis to teh rear front hinge pin... so if you getting that chassis make sue you get the rear front hinge pin holder form teh hara edition also.. or you will have to drill and tap to holes for your self.. my 3mm chassis came with those holes drilled out.. and it was not anodized so maybe it was an after thought to add reliability
kgombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
The chassis wear isn't the problem. The problem is that once the chassis fatigues it begins to over flex, if you will, and then tanks start getting hurt and front drive shafts get bent every run. At one point you'll have to unbend the chassis after every run.


when does that happen in about 3 gallons ? i dont run a d8 i have a 1.0 t with a flex chassis thats about 3mm.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgombe View Post
have you guys notice that on teh 3mm chassis there is 2 extra holes that attacch teh chassis to teh rear front hinge pin... so if you getting that chassis make sue you get the rear front hinge pin holder form teh hara edition also.. or you will have to drill and tap to holes for your self.. my 3mm chassis came with those holes drilled out.. and it was not anodized so maybe it was an after thought to add reliability
That's a running change. The original 3mm didn't have the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
when does that happen in about 3 gallons ? i dont run a d8 i have a 1.0 t with a flex chassis thats about 3mm.
For me it happened within 2 gallons, but our tracks are blown out with huge jumps. It was bound to fatigue the chassis soon. I think the euro drivers will appreciate the chassis since there isn't really any huge jumps or blown out tracks like in the States
__________________
-TKO Competition Development-Sidewinder Fuel-
Alan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
That's a running change. The original 3mm didn't have the holes.



For me it happened within 2 gallons, but our tracks are blown out with huge jumps. It was bound to fatigue the chassis soon. I think the euro drivers will appreciate the chassis since there isn't really any huge jumps or blown out tracks like in the States


ha my track is blown out with one big triple but i double it to save the blow if i case it . i dont race every weekend so it should last more than 2 gallons
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies D8 Truggy Greg B Nitro Off-Road 10028 08-16-2017 05:44 PM
NEW D8 Atsushi Hara Edition* Atrackstar101 Nitro Off-Road 5998 05-13-2016 12:24 AM
Hot Bodies D8/T pitan Singapore R/C Racers 675 07-09-2012 10:04 PM
Carbon Chassis Which buggies have them? mini696 Nitro Off-Road 48 01-28-2009 01:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:18 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net