Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D8 3mm chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default D8 3mm chassis

Anyone had problems with them bending, seem to be very flexible when compared to the standard?

there have been reports in the uk that they go banana shaped without any significant abuse.

i have fitted mine today and seems quite weak compared to the 4mm or standard, was wondering if alloy braces would help reduce the front to back flex.

Last edited by rjgreen4; 10-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Prophet

well i cant speak for the d8 i never driven it but i do run a 3mm tft flex chassis for the eight 1.0 t and its been pretty dam strong. no bending

i guess hb maybe hurry to fast to make it but it flexes so much that it bends ?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

flex and bending are 2 completly diffrent things. Look at Xray they have lots of flex no matter what you do. If it flex its not bad, now it bending doesnt seem like the companies fault it seems like the racers is abusing it. Any chassis can bend if you case hard, also alloy braces wont cause the flex to really stop its just ganna cause flexing to occur some where else. Ive broke a engine block before on my jammin x1-cr team with all aluminum braces and etc because it had no where to flex but the engine case. Just keep in mind its a race chassis, dont club race it unless you want to but really no point to run it unless you in a series and a lighter car makes you faster. I like my 4mm thickness on my d8.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
flex and bending are 2 completly diffrent things. Look at Xray they have lots of flex no matter what you do. If it flex its not bad, now it bending doesnt seem like the companies fault it seems like the racers is abusing it. Any chassis can bend if you case hard, also alloy braces wont cause the flex to really stop its just ganna cause flexing to occur some where else. Ive broke a engine block before on my jammin x1-cr team with all aluminum braces and etc because it had no where to flex but the engine case. Just keep in mind its a race chassis, dont club race it unless you want to but really no point to run it unless you in a series and a lighter car makes you faster. I like my 4mm thickness on my d8.

i dont know man i race with my tft 1.0 flex chassis on my 1.0 and ive had a couple of hard crashes and its fine im pretty sure its 3mm . made a big diffrence in lap times i club race
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
3mm chassis is made to flex more, better for rougher tracks etc. its worth the money in club racing IMO. the D8 is heavy and the 4mm is stiff. ... on your x1 its something other than flex, i bet you werent using the 1 piece mount and thats what caused them to crack...
Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

i remember jesse robbers talking about his 3mm chassis when he was testing it out . he said that it was in betwwen the bce 3mm chassis and the HB 4mm light chassis kinda like a middle ground.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
3mm chassis is made to flex more, better for rougher tracks etc. its worth the money in club racing IMO. the D8 is heavy and the 4mm is stiff. ... on your x1 its something other than flex, i bet you werent using the 1 piece mount and thats what caused them to crack...

+1 a flex chassis on a rough track makes a big diffrence and easier to drive im sure it goes for the buggys also.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i know like i said "flex is not bad" i said now bending is diffrent caused by driver error, a chassis just dont bend i used my old car as a refrence not a comparison.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

The chassis improves the handling by a good amount, but it fatigues quickly.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Alan D.
The chassis improves the handling by a good amount, but it fatigues quickly.
its not too bad over here, during the winter we race on astroturf tracks therefore no chassis wear.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

The chassis wear isn't the problem. The problem is that once the chassis fatigues it begins to over flex, if you will, and then tanks start getting hurt and front drive shafts get bent every run. At one point you'll have to unbend the chassis after every run.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

have you guys notice that on teh 3mm chassis there is 2 extra holes that attacch teh chassis to teh rear front hinge pin... so if you getting that chassis make sue you get the rear front hinge pin holder form teh hara edition also.. or you will have to drill and tap to holes for your self.. my 3mm chassis came with those holes drilled out.. and it was not anodized so maybe it was an after thought to add reliability
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Prophet

The chassis wear isn't the problem. The problem is that once the chassis fatigues it begins to over flex, if you will, and then tanks start getting hurt and front drive shafts get bent every run. At one point you'll have to unbend the chassis after every run.

when does that happen in about 3 gallons ? i dont run a d8 i have a 1.0 t with a flex chassis thats about 3mm.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kgombe
have you guys notice that on teh 3mm chassis there is 2 extra holes that attacch teh chassis to teh rear front hinge pin... so if you getting that chassis make sue you get the rear front hinge pin holder form teh hara edition also.. or you will have to drill and tap to holes for your self.. my 3mm chassis came with those holes drilled out.. and it was not anodized so maybe it was an after thought to add reliability
That's a running change. The original 3mm didn't have the holes.

Originally Posted by tc5 man
when does that happen in about 3 gallons ? i dont run a d8 i have a 1.0 t with a flex chassis thats about 3mm.
For me it happened within 2 gallons, but our tracks are blown out with huge jumps. It was bound to fatigue the chassis soon. I think the euro drivers will appreciate the chassis since there isn't really any huge jumps or blown out tracks like in the States
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Prophet

That's a running change. The original 3mm didn't have the holes.

For me it happened within 2 gallons, but our tracks are blown out with huge jumps. It was bound to fatigue the chassis soon. I think the euro drivers will appreciate the chassis since there isn't really any huge jumps or blown out tracks like in the States

ha my track is blown out with one big triple but i double it to save the blow if i case it . i dont race every weekend so it should last more than 2 gallons