Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi 8 2.0 setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default losi 8 2.0 setup

can you help me with the diff and shock setup. my track has loose dirt and a lot of 180 turns and my buggys rear gets really loose on the corners im using stock setup

thanx
Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Not sure if you meant box-stock setup or not...

My local track is clay and is super dry/low traction at times.

I still run the Drake/Truhe setup with a rear brake bias.

Try this and you shouldn't have any trouble; just pick your tire and go from there.

This is for the inclined blocks: http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...inedBlocks.pdf

This is for the std. plastics: http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/SetupTruhe.pdf

If that setup is too twitchy (doubt it will be) you can drop to 5k in the center diff or 3k in the rear (do one or the other).

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Drake setup
and
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA1728
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Gonna have to go with the 10's over the 12's.

That's a personal preference/track conditions though.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA1734
Old 10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Gonna have to go with the 10's over the 12's.

That's a personal preference/track conditions though.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA1734
I'm wondering if its ok to use plastic spindles with the 10 degree aluminum caster blocks. I've got it setup that way now but am not sure if i'd be better off going back to the plastic casters instead.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jwm2
I'm wondering if its ok to use plastic spindles with the 10 degree aluminum caster blocks. I've got it setup that way now but am not sure if i'd be better off going back to the plastic casters instead.
Are you running the "old" gold-anodized carriers?

The new inclined (black anod.) carriers and spindles have to be used together as a set.

Old: LOSA1711 http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA1711

New (see link in other post).
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Are you running the "old" gold-anodized carriers?

The new inclined (black anod.) carriers and spindles have to be used together as a set.

Old: LOSA1711 http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA1711

New (see link in other post).
Yes those are the ones i have, mine aren't black though, its more of an adonized finish like other losi parts.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yes those are the ones i have, mine aren't black though, its more of an adonized finish like other losi parts.
you have the reg set then. Your better off going to the plastic carrier and alum spindle, this will give you more throw on the spindle, you can also do what i did before they came out with the incline set was to just dremel a little of the plastic spindle, this gives you more throw on your spindle
Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default hey mblgjr

where you from in al? im in athens.

i have a 2.0 rtr and havent touched it as far settings go. i just started in hobby and trying to get the hang of driving before i start messing with it. i have a couple questions. i started putting drakes standard setup on my buggy and my rear shock towers dont look like the ones on the setup sheet. mine have two holes oriented north and south instead of three holes oriented east to west. (the camber link holes). also on the setup sheets it talks about adjustable pivots with 0 inserts...what is an adjustable pivot?

when setting the ride height and shock length which do you set first? if you set the shocks to the proper length and then check the ride height and its wrong...how do you adjust ride height w/o changing overall shock length. and im quessing you set the shock length with the preloads.

sorry for the questions guys...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

You have the older carriers that I linked you to the 1711 p/n.

They are non-inclined; so use the second link I provided for Drakes setup.

The only difference is which way the inner bumpsteer balls are flipped basically
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skyler hays
where you from in al? im in athens.

PM replied

i have a 2.0 rtr and havent touched it as far settings go.

rear shock towers dont look like the ones on the setup sheet. mine have two holes oriented north and south instead of three holes oriented east to west. (the camber link holes).

The RTR tower is a little different. Use the "upper" hole on the RTR tower; should be real close to the #2 middle hole on the Race tower.

also on the setup sheets it talks about adjustable pivots with 0 inserts...what is an adjustable pivot?

CNC'd aluminum bars with plastic inserts with different offset holes (0; .5; 1) that are used to change the settings. You really don't have to have these until much later on. The stock bars work just fine..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...race-w-Inserts

when setting the ride height and shock length which do you set first?

Doesn't matter, they are different adjustments. However, it is best to set shock length first. See below for how to set each.

if you set the shocks to the proper length and then check the ride height and its wrong...how do you adjust ride height w/o changing overall shock length. and im quessing you set the shock length with the preloads.

You're not quite doing it correctly. To set shock length, you're setting the length of the shock from center-to-center with it fully extended/drooped (car in the air). Measure from the center of the upper stud, to the center of the lower screw @ the control arm. Use the downstop screw located inboard on the lower control arm to adjust accordingly.

The preload collars are used to set ride height only. They have no effect on overall shock length.

sorry for the questions guys...
Answers in red.