R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default pros and cons

hey guys, so i already have an 1/8th scale brushless buggy set-up and i am going to build a truggy over the winter.........BUT i cant get over how intense the nitro races are. i really dont have any experience with tuning small motors or tuning anything really, but i am a pretty quick learner.........can you guys give me some pros and cons to nitro racing/tuning/maintenance or what have you......cant decide..........thanks in adavance.
sposored by overtime............lots and lots of overtime
thaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

nitro racing = smells awesome, great music to your ears! lol
maintenance = as long as you know how to check your clutch and clean filters your fine. I'm sure you already go through your car once in a while to check things over
tuning = its not that hard once you do it a couple times. leaning it will make it scream and go fast! but not always the good thing. Just make sure you have a good small trail of blue smoke. Read the tuning bible in the engine sub forum. very good info.
I personally like nitro better than electric. the adrenaline rush, smell, noise, and I think tuning is fun.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

nitro actually makes it a hobby! when the engine runs well and you win! it because you made that happen, taking the time to work on tune, clutch, ....ect....ect, is what make it a hobby! anybody can turn a esc on and race.oh, and charge a lipo, not really a hobby to me, but thats just me! i think nitro will come back strong in the next 1 to 3 years! the novice kids (newbies) seem to like the thoughts of a little gas car. not the typical radio shack or toys "r" us toys....LMAO.
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There's just something about nitro that is very addictive. Its hard to put a finger on and could be a combination of several factors. But in the end i just find it to be more fun. I've run electric in the past and sure it's still fun, but theres an element missing. That extra element can be a headache at times. But once you get the hang of it, its very rewarding. Give it a try.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You definately have a few more mechanical variables than electric, alot of things have to go and be right for you to run well which is what I love about nitro. Oddly enough I compare it to golf, instead of being in tune with your body you must be in tune with your equipment. You probably know what you need to know about the cars, but an improper tune can make your great setup terrible so I would be sure and get a good motor/pipe setup. If I were you I wouldnt spend more than 350.00 tops for a motor/pipe combo, just research the popular threads all the info is right there for you, and enjoy!! Funny enough I just built my first Ebuggy and can't wait to test it!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

from what ive seen and read, the initial cost for electric is greater than nitro. but in the long run nitro will be more expensive.....

questions:
1.are you pretty much guaranteed to have to buy a new motor every year or will a well taken care of motor last longer than that?

2.how long will the pipes last?

3.does the cost of fuel, fuel lines, clutch shoes, etc. constantly eat a hole in your wallet?

4.when a motor does start to fade are they re-buildable, or is just a toss it kinda thing?

again thanks guys, i am really leaning towards a nitro truggy. they are just damn exciting to watch, i can on only imagine runnin one.

p.s. any other costs or just anything else you can think of will be greatly appreciated
sposored by overtime............lots and lots of overtime
thaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaghost View Post
from what ive seen and read, the initial cost for electric is greater than nitro. but in the long run nitro will be more expensive.....

questions:
1.are you pretty much guaranteed to have to buy a new motor every year or will a well taken care of motor last longer than that?

3.does the cost of fuel, fuel lines, clutch shoes, etc. constantly eat a hole in your wallet?

4.when a motor does start to fade are they re-buildable, or is just a toss it kinda thing?

again thanks guys, i am really leaning towards a nitro truggy. they are just damn exciting to watch, i can on only imagine runnin one.

p.s. any other costs or just anything else you can think of will be greatly appreciated

nitro fuel will be more in the longrun depending on how much you race and how many classes you run really.

aftermarket clutch shoes can last you about a gallon depending on how stiff your springs are and what compound alum shoe also.

fuel tubing is cheap just check it over time after time if theres a problem with the engine running thats a thing to check and replace.

now on engines once they start to fade you can ethier replace the piston and sleeve and other things or you can just get a new engine.

i remmend truggy there a lot more stable and funner to drive and can be pushed a harder than a buggy. hows the truggy class at your track ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaghost View Post

questions:

1. Depends on how much you plan on running/racing but a lot of people buy new equipment(motors, and sometimes kits) for the new year

2. Pipes last a very long time only way the become damaged is if you have a horrible crash with something like a tree, don't secure them down and just have them flapping while running the car(cause's the pancake effect.

3.Depending on how much you run for the fuel, clutch and fuel lines not really but it's cheap so you can just get a whole bunch and replace during one of the times you're rebuilding the car

4. motors are re-buildable just depends on if you if you want to keep running that engine or something else

I am a huge fan of both nitro and electric, but nitro is where it's at for me when racing there is nothing like the sound of 16 screaming nitro engines
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

One other thing to consider with nitro is that you'll need a pitman for fuel stops and to drop your car at the start of your main. May not be a big deal for you if you race with a bunch of buddies, but it's something to think about
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

i have taken the time in the past figureing out what is cheaper!, went through all options, nitro came out to be cheaper in he beginning and end, my buddy at local track has a electric truggy, getting started he spent 1700.00 for a good race set up. through the summer racing he smoked 3 ESC'S and had to buy new, 600.00 in the toliot!!!! we all know warrenty on electronics! (SUCKS). I had to buy new rod for 43.00 and 3 gallons of fuel, 133.00. nitro is much cheaper than electric!!!!! short run, long run.....whatever, nitro is cheaper either way! oh, and he smoked 2 lipos at 200.00 each so theres a 1000 bucks to up keep a electric for one year of racing for him. i think ill stick with nitro!
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
One other thing to consider with nitro is that you'll need a pitman for fuel stops and to drop your car at the start of your main. May not be a big deal for you if you race with a bunch of buddies, but it's something to think about

i have my dad pit for me the odds of it you can find a pitman usually.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
i have taken the time in the past figureing out what is cheaper!, went through all options, nitro came out to be cheaper in he beginning and end, my buddy at local track has a electric truggy, getting started he spent 1700.00 for a good race set up. through the summer racing he smoked 3 ESC'S and had to buy new, 600.00 in the toliot!!!! we all know warrenty on electronics! (SUCKS). I had to buy new rod for 43.00 and 3 gallons of fuel, 133.00. nitro is much cheaper than electric!!!!! short run, long run.....whatever, nitro is cheaper either way! oh, and he smoked 2 lipos at 200.00 each so theres a 1000 bucks to up keep a electric for one year of racing for him. i think ill stick with nitro!
you only went threw 3 gallons in the whole year? i go threw that in a month or two easy... i used to burn over a gallon a week
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro makes it a skilled race, as you need to tune the engine and clutch and have a strategy for fuel stops. Simply put the fastest driver not always wins, I know of a very, very, very fast guy that always makes A-Main and TQ on a regular base, but almost always there is some kind of equipment failure....(and He makes A and B with the top guns).
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

awesome responses! thanks guys. our track is pretty much all nitro as far as truggies go so ill fit right in........and i think i can pretty much always have my buddy do my pitting. either way i can get someone to do it at the track........i know im not gonna be able to replace my motor every season(just cost me to much) but i am pretty good about maintaining my stuff so hopefully i can stretch they're life.......thanks again..........and if anything else comes to mind, please post it