Toe Angle

Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default Toe Angle

Is there any known way to set up Toe Angle without having to buy specialized equipment.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

The ease depends on the type of vehicle, but I've often used a ruler to set toe angle. By placing a straight ruler horizontally against the face of a front wheel with the long end extending backwards, you can get a rough idea of your toe angle. The other side of the car needs to be against a flat surface, such as a wall or the backsplash of a workbench. Note where the long end of the ruler hits the rear tire. Generally speaking, if the ruler lines up with the outside edge of the rear wheel, that's zero toe. If it lines up outside the rear wheel, it's got toe out, and obviously, if it lines up inside the face of the rear wheel, it's got toe out. Keep in mind this is overall toe angle, so you'll need to split the difference to have a balanced amount of toe on each side. This is kind of the quick explanation, but hopefully it's understandable.

Alternatively, you can attach pencils or some other long, straight piece of material to each wheel with a strong rubber band. It's best if you're sure it's straight for accurate measurement. Then measure the width at the wheels and then at the top of pencils or whatever you've chosen to use. The difference between the two measurements is your toe angle.

As a side note, if you're setting toe angle on a vehicle that has wide tires that overhang the edge of the wheel, mount up a set of wheels without tires for a more accurate measurement. You'd be surprised how much the tires can throw off the reading.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RustyOne
Is there any known way to set up Toe Angle without having to buy specialized equipment.
I don't know if you consider an RPM Camber gauge "specialized equipment", but all you need is that, and a piece of 1x4 about 24" long.

Hold the piece of 1x4 behind your front wheels, then lay the camber gauge over on its side, with the part that would normally be sitting on the table, up against the wood. You can then read the degree of toe like you would camber.

Just remember, doing this way means that you divide the total amount of toe in half (ex. 2.0 deg total toe would be read as 1.0 deg on each wheel on the camber gauge). Using something like a Hudy setup station would allow you to read total toe off of the buggy or truggy top plate.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Prophet

just go by with your eyes thats what most of us club racers do that dont have a lot of cash.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Just remember, doing this way means that you divide the total amount of toe in half (ex. 2.0 deg total toe would be read as 1.0 deg on each wheel on the camber gauge). Using something like a Hudy setup station would allow you to read total toe off of the buggy or truggy top plate.
I agree with all u said but this. 2 degrees of toe is toe per wheel, not the sum of the toe between the 2 wheels added together.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I agree with all u said but this. 2 degrees of toe is toe per wheel, not the sum of the toe between the 2 wheels added together.
per wheel
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

eye ball is close enough for most people.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How would this work? Say you get the right wheel where you want it then take the measurement of the tie rod and then set the left side to have the same measurement. Would that get it the same on both sides?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Close but not exactly.

My way...push the cars front wheels on a straight wall or a 90 degree piece of wood or something...use the camber gauge and measure the angle to the wheel. That's your toe angle degrees.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Sears
How would this work? Say you get the right wheel where you want it then take the measurement of the tie rod and then set the left side to have the same measurement. Would that get it the same on both sides?
Just like Chris says!!! Works great for me!!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleblanc
Originally Posted by aussies1129
per wheel
Actually, unless RC vehicles are measured completely different than full size chassis, which generally isn't the case, the total toe is indeed divided equally between both wheels. Each will should have half of the total toe measurement.

This link is very good for reference...below is a portion that I copied and pasted.

Measuring Toe

Toe on an individual tire/wheel assembly is understood to be the difference between the distance of the front and rear of one tire in reference to the vehicle centerline. Since most alignment specifications show toe as total toe, i.e. both wheels, it is important to understand two points: (1) 1/2 of the specified total toe should be applied to each front wheel. (2) a minus(-) sign would actually indicate a toe-out setting as being specified. It is important to note that although toe has historically been measured as a distance in fractions of an inch, and then decimal inches, it is becoming more common for vehicle manufacturers to express toe in degrees. The idea is that the angle, rather than an arbitrary distance, determines the side slip of the tire and the resulting scrub of the tread. This should not be affected by the tire size, but rather should be constant for a given measurement. Most alignment equipment displays toe-out as a minus (-) and toe-in as a positive (+).
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Well, it's not a full size car. For a reference, if u need one, put ur buggy on some ones setup station. Put ur 3 degree toe block, bushing, or whatever it may be that sets ur rear toe and the use the setup systems top plate on the rear. INDEED u will have 3 degrees of toe per side. Or just use ur method to measure the rear toe, but either way u do it, I can garuntee u it's 3 per side. And the front is ajusted the same way, toe per tire
Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Alot of times if im in a hurry I just eyeball and guage it off the rear.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Close but not exactly.

My way...push the cars front wheels on a straight wall or a 90 degree piece of wood or something...use the camber gauge and measure the angle to the wheel. That's your toe angle degrees.
I will have to try that then. Thanks for the info
Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Actually, unless RC vehicles are measured completely different than full size chassis, which generally isn't the case, the total toe is indeed divided equally between both wheels. Each will should have half of the total toe measurement.

This link is very good for reference...below is a portion that I copied and pasted.

Measuring Toe

Toe on an individual tire/wheel assembly is understood to be the difference between the distance of the front and rear of one tire in reference to the vehicle centerline. Since most alignment specifications show toe as total toe, i.e. both wheels, it is important to understand two points: (1) 1/2 of the specified total toe should be applied to each front wheel. (2) a minus(-) sign would actually indicate a toe-out setting as being specified. It is important to note that although toe has historically been measured as a distance in fractions of an inch, and then decimal inches, it is becoming more common for vehicle manufacturers to express toe in degrees. The idea is that the angle, rather than an arbitrary distance, determines the side slip of the tire and the resulting scrub of the tread. This should not be affected by the tire size, but rather should be constant for a given measurement. Most alignment equipment displays toe-out as a minus (-) and toe-in as a positive (+).

You are absolutely correct for a full size vehicle.

However, in scale, 99.999% of setup sheets (like Drakes) are stated on a per-side basis.

So when they say 2deg. front toe out; they mean 2 deg. per side.

That said...

Turn your radio on and center the servo as you wish.

Stand the vehicle vertical, on it's nose/front bumper; on a level, hard surface (setup board).

Use your camber gauge to measure the "camber" (which is now toe in this case). Toe out will read as negative camber.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.