R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Losi.....Kits......Sooner then you think
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Patrick, If you are interested in the OD buggy, read up on the OD buggy forum and or send a PM to Jon Moore.
golferdude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

Golferdud, thanks for the info.

Patrick Myas
Buggy tbd
OS Speed
patmyas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba_7 View Post
And be personable, make friends at the track and it makes racing that much more fun. There are alot of great people in our hobby and they are always willing to help out if you have questions.

One thing to look for before buy a car is see what the track supports, makes it easier to get parts while your there especially if you keep breaking the same part and you exhaust your stash.
this is good advice, get involved locally, you'll learn faster, save money, and have more fun
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have to say that you're starting better than I did. Rather than asking a lot of questions, I just dove in. I went with a used set-up (pretty decent set-up at that) and tore it down and rebuilt it right away. I watched some Youtube videos to help me make sure it would all go back together correctly (withOUT leftover parts! ). This step actually helped me in a LOT of ways. My "wrenching skills" jumped up quickly and I learned how some of the hidden parts interact (things I would not have thought about without seeing them up close and personal).

Since you'll spend WAY more time breaking down/cleaning/fixing/rebuilding your buggy or truggy than you will racing it, make sure you get one that you will enjoy working on! Don't be in a hurry to buy expensive upgrades (like I did), but concentrate on how your buggy handles. My buggy is probably the most expensive at the track. Might even be the fastest, but this 41 year old keeps getting stomped by a 12 year old with a relatively stock kit car!!! LOL

Good luck and enjoy!
Matt2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would buy a kit... because when you put every little piece together you get to learn the in and outs of yuor buggy/truggy and when you break something you know the quick way of getting it off without taking every part of in the process... Spares are your friends.
Snowbum32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hot bodies Db8 ftw.
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to the tracks you plan to race at and see what everyone is running. Local support is the number one factor in buying when your first starting out. I say get a Hot Bodies D8 for the price point, durability, and driveablity. But if nobody around you runs Hot Bodies, then you will be lost on setup advice and parts support. OS/Werks/Nova are all great motors. Local support isn't as big a part on engines but is still great to have. Find a 2.4 radio that you like the feel of and spend money on it, it will last longer than anything else. Spektrum is good and has features, but the feel is nothing compared to a KO, Airtronics, or Futaba.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #39
Tech Rookie

Talking

well i have been racing the the hotbodies d8 and d8t for a lil over a year now and love them both very durable and fast setups i started with a losi and will never switch to another company again support is good and the drivers for them are super cool always willing to help or answer questions
L&SdesertRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Out of that list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmyas1 View Post
As you may have already guessed, I just joined this forum, with the hope of acquiring enough knowledge so that I can start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy. Aside from dabbling with those Cox planes a number of years ago, this is all new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction, so that I can start researching which buggy, engine, servos and radio to get.

From briefly reading some of the posts, i see the following brands may be popular:

Buggy:
O'Donnell Z01B-SG
Kyosho MP9
Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggy

Engines:
O'Donnell SS.21
Alpha
Go
OS V-Spec

Servos:
Futaba
High-Tec
JR

Radios:
Futaba
Spektrum
Airtronics.

Thanks,

Patrick Myas
I would say the MP-9 with that Alpha engine, Airtronics mx-3x.

Go ahead and put the Hitec 7955 in the steering. It is so awesome. No slop in the gears after heavy use, and when isn't the steering servo beaten up?

In the throttle you may like most servos that have at least 130 oz of torque and .15 or faster speed.

I like the Futaba BLS 451. It's really fast and smooth, but heck, those new Savox servos look killer, try one of those in the throttle, little cheaper...

And don't forget about the other buggies. the Mugen mbx-6
The durango looks sweet, the Hara D8, why not, or the 808. If your gonna race you might just go all the way....

My favorite is the Mugen with a Nova p5 or 7 port. I think for startin out the mbx-6 or the new mp-9, or Durango with a p5 or an Alpha or even that new OS engine. Looks killer, and most guys say that it's easier to tune. I don't really know but that's what I hear...

And not to leave out the Werks. I hear that engine is great too. Lots of guys swear by the b5....

Whatever you do make it all your favorite stuff. I hope this helps...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmyas1 View Post
As you may have already guessed, I just joined this forum, with the hope of acquiring enough knowledge so that I can start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy. Aside from dabbling with those Cox planes a number of years ago, this is all new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction, so that I can start researching which buggy, engine, servos and radio to get.

From briefly reading some of the posts, i see the following brands may be popular:

Buggy:
O'Donnell Z01B-SG
Kyosho MP9
Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggy

Engines:
O'Donnell SS.21
Alpha
Go
OS V-Spec

Servos:
Futaba
High-Tec
JR

Radios:
Futaba
Spektrum
Airtronics.

Thanks,

Patrick Myas
After taking a 10+ year RC brake i found the guys here very helpful, many of your question have been answered in my thread.

Lots of build pics, QnA throughout the thread.

New purchase need advice coming back after 8 years.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Don't forget the Mugen mbx6. It's ready to race out of the box, no hopups needed. I know you need to buy some hopups for other cars. I had the Losi buggy too and I had to buy adjustable kickup and toe/anti-squat plates.

The D8 is also a good and cheap car that you might consider.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #43
Tech Rookie

Not to far off topic: what is a good starter box? Which is the Cadillac? Which is 'good enuff' without needing to be changed out for something better later on (ie durable)?
Akoni_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My vote would be for the Ofna truggy box. That was the one suggested when I looked into it and I love mine.
Matt2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #45
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoni_Six View Post
Not to far off topic: what is a good starter box? Which is the Cadillac? Which is 'good enuff' without needing to be changed out for something better later on (ie durable)?

Ofna Truggy box no question's asked.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote