R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 314
Default Losi 2.0 Truggy: How do I make it steer better off throttle.

First off. I'm the absolute n00b on this. So if I ask the wrong way, and when you answer you have to take it slow.

I have the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 all stock setup.
I was at the track and I notice that I have WAY to little grip when I turn with the throttle off completely. The car will just go straight ahead.

And since I want to learn I tried to set the suspension a little harder.
Yeah, you see, I have absolutely NO idea if that was right but I had to try something, right. I felt that it got a bit better.

The track is very loose with large gravel and the car behaves OK all around but in this corner I have the off throttle steering problem it's pretty flat with almost no gravel. It's a short short straight up to a hair-pin turn. So I have almost no speed and the car just skids forward.

Beyond the stiffening of the springs I also added more brake bias to the rear so now I can make "hand brake turns"

What do I do in 3 simple steps?? And WHY do a do those 3 simple steps. (if you tell me more then 3 I get confused )
__________________
Life's like a lemon and I want my money back!

Last edited by Klimpen717; 10-20-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Klimpen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Sounds like your basic steering push. Many reasons for this. Things I'd check.

1. Make sure your steering servo is turning the wheels to full lock but not so far it buzzes the servo. Set it with the tires off the vehicle and the vehicle off the ground. Set the EPA to full lock then back off a click or 2 until the servo stops buzzing but you know your at full lock.

2. Could be your tire choice. Some tires don't have alot of side bite. Choose a tire with more side bite.

That should get you started. If it is a horrible push from the box stock setup its probably your endpoints.
__________________
Losi 8ight T 2.0 - Mugen Ninja
Mugen Eco - Tekin 1900KV RX8
Byrons 30%
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Use the short Ackerman plate drop the rear fluid to 2k and make sure the ride height is correct.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
jonski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,755
Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)
Default

shorter rear camber link...lighter rear sway bar...less rear toe-in
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Sein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ewa Beach, HI
Posts: 1,181
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Check your droop. The more rear droop you have the less it will understeer and what the others said above.

Last edited by Sein; 10-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Those guys gave you some good things to check out/start with. One biggie that didn't get mentioned is to check your servo saver. If it is set too loose your truck won't turn. Before you start getting into setup changes, make sure everything is assembled and set correctly to the stock setup. Just because it is supposed to come with that setup on it doesn't mean it really will. Go through and check everything on the chassis and your radio settings. If you don't find anything, then think about some setup changes. Sounds to me that something is wrong other than setup.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Those guys gave you some good things to check out/start with. One biggie that didn't get mentioned is to check your servo saver. If it is set too loose your truck won't turn. Before you start getting into setup changes, make sure everything is assembled and set correctly to the stock setup. Just because it is supposed to come with that setup on it doesn't mean it really will. Go through and check everything on the chassis and your radio settings. If you don't find anything, then think about some setup changes. Sounds to me that something is wrong other than setup.
Yup forgot that one! Tighten servo saver alllll the way down and back it off 2.5 turns and put some blue loctite for good measure on the threads.
__________________
Losi 8ight T 2.0 - Mugen Ninja
Mugen Eco - Tekin 1900KV RX8
Byrons 30%
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Do-Over's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O-H....I-O
Posts: 513
Default

I'm not the greatest on setup either, but you said you stiffened up the front end? I would think that would have the opposite effect, if the front can't "give" in the corner it's not going to "bite". At least that's my thinking. I think you would want the front end softer to grab traction and keep from pushing.

Other than that, I agree with servo saver (if it's loose the weight of your truck will push the wheels back straight), and EPA's.
__________________
AE RC8T, Futaba,A-Main by Massive Mods, Hitec,
JConcepts, Fastraxx Hobbies, Team Terribles,
Do-Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,874
Default

mentioning of the steering saver spring... yea it came loosen on me during my 15 min a main sportsman truggy it wouldnt turn worth crap on my 1.0 t in the tight corners pushing baby lol.


do over : that is, true about using soft springs on the front will stop a push defietly i tried it and im going back to softer springs on my front end.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

many reasons can cause this. First if its a rtr trash the servos(they wont last) then tighten ur servo saver up almost all the way down then lock it in with some type of lock tight. Once you have done this then go on to set up for more steering, but im sure once you get a tire selection for that type of track and servo saver/good servos it will be fine.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
mblgjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 2,175
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

1) Pick the proper tire for your surface.

2) Increase your rear brake bias. The rears should barely lock up as you come to a stop. The fronts should never lock.

3) Set the truck up to the specs listed here (follow ALL of them).



Report back if you're still not satisfied.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...akeV2Tower.pdf

Or if you've got the RTR and aren't running the V2 rear tower:
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/DrakeSS098t2.pdf
__________________
Team Associated Reedy JConcepts.net FusionX USA
mblgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
Sounds like your basic steering push. Many reasons for this. Things I'd check.
1. Make sure your steering servo is turning the wheels to full lock but not so far it buzzes the servo. Set it with the tires off the vehicle and the vehicle off the ground. Set the EPA to full lock then back off a click or 2 until the servo stops buzzing but you know your at full lock.
2. Could be your tire choice. Some tires don't have alot of side bite. Choose a tire with more side bite.
That should get you started. If it is a horrible push from the box stock setup its probably your endpoints.
The servo is a Hitec 7955TG with fully adjusted end points.
You could be right about the tires, I need new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Use the short Ackerman plate drop the rear fluid to 2k and make sure the ride height is correct.
Fluid is at 2k and diff just recently maintained.
The Ackerman is the piece that looks like a bow right? I have to long one there now.
Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonski View Post
shorter rear camber link...lighter rear sway bar...less rear toe-in
I can try that, thats three steps. What is "shorter rear camber" Camber is an angle to me so do I need more or less angle on the rear tires?
Lighter sway bar and less toe in I can do. I will let you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
Check your droop. The more front droop you have the less it will understeer and what the others said above.
Hello Sein, are you sure droop has ANYTHING to do with this?
Isn't droop the setting of the screws that stop against the chassis?
They don't even come into play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
many reasons can cause this. First if its a rtr trash the servos(they wont last) then tighten ur servo saver up almost all the way down then lock it in with some type of lock tight. Once you have done this then go on to set up for more steering, but im sure once you get a tire selection for that type of track and servo saver/good servos it will be fine.
The servo are fine and so are the saver. i checked them now and I have the saver pretty tight.
As a matter of fact, the turn is so close to the driver stand and it's going REALLY slow there. Almost like slow motion so I can clearly see the tires turn and skid. It's just like you want to lean over the fence and grab the car and push it in the right direction every time... in slow motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
1) Pick the proper tire for your surface.
2) Increase your rear brake bias. The rears should barely lock up as you come to a stop. The fronts should never lock.
3) Set the truck up to the specs listed here (follow ALL of them).
Report back if you're still not satisfied.
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...akeV2Tower.pdf
Or if you've got the RTR and aren't running the V2 rear tower:
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/DrakeSS098t2.pdf
I'm using the RTR so I downloaded the last PDF of the two and will test it out.
Thank you!



Thank you everyone for helping out.
__________________
Life's like a lemon and I want my money back!

Last edited by Klimpen717; 10-21-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Klimpen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

My D8 has no off power aswell but what i do to get it to turn it swing it go into the corner and kick the rear and tap a lil brake to settle it out and gas it. Dont do this pinned but im sure it will be even easier to do in a truggy. I know how you feel but i kinda like my set up with none its just opinion though.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Just crank down the servo saver, and use drakes set up as a starting point.

Tweeking EVERYTHING on your ride at the same time will not help. You have to have a understanding of the effects of each adjustment. There are ups AND downs to each turn of every screw.

Although some of the guys on here are good at this stuff, they need to remember the nOOb part of it.

When you want to adjust something, adjust that one thing, put the car on the track and see if you could feel the difference. When I started in nitro, people would always tell me to do this and that, and I did not knowing what I was doing. It took one guy to sit with me and explain set up and what each thing does and dont do.

Hudy manual will set you in the right direction, I dont have the link, but Im sure someone on here can post it for you.

Before you put your car on the track, make sure you have a good setup on your ride. You will notice a difference in driving.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Just crank down the servo saver, and use drakes set up as a starting point.

Tweeking EVERYTHING on your ride at the same time will not help. You have to have a understanding of the effects of each adjustment. There are ups AND downs to each turn of every screw.

Although some of the guys on here are good at this stuff, they need to remember the nOOb part of it.

When you want to adjust something, adjust that one thing, put the car on the track and see if you could feel the difference. When I started in nitro, people would always tell me to do this and that, and I did not knowing what I was doing. It took one guy to sit with me and explain set up and what each thing does and dont do.

Hudy manual will set you in the right direction, I dont have the link, but Im sure someone on here can post it for you.

Before you put your car on the track, make sure you have a good setup on your ride. You will notice a difference in driving.

That exactly my point. Don't just tell me WHAT to do but tell me WHY I do it.
I so very much appreciate ALL the help I can get but the best one are often the ones that tell you "half the truth" and then tell you why and how to test it.
like I'm very good at tuning, lets just say I have a gift. It has never been hard for me and I have only been in this game for a year and a half now. So if I tell you to lean out the LSN I try also to say WHY and how to see the difference.

I would like to learn all the other things, the electronics and the setup. The setup is right now a bit scary.
I have the car stock stock and stock all over and I try one thing at a time. I go from stock and stiffen the suspension and notice what it does and then back to stock and alter the rear toe in. If the both do med good I can then start to make my own setup sheet perhaps. I'm not there though.

I will take all your help and try it out. Unfortunately the season is over for me now so I will do my end-of-season cleaning and put all the setting from either stock setup or go the RTR setup I got above on the car to be ready for the next season.
__________________
Life's like a lemon and I want my money back!
Klimpen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8T 2.0 polarismaster Nitro Off-Road 15880 02-02-2015 10:31 AM
Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0? melonpeel Nitro Off-Road 83 02-08-2011 08:59 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:46 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net