R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimpen717 View Post

Hello Sein, are you sure droop has ANYTHING to do with this?
Isn't droop the setting of the screws that stop against the chassis?
They don't even come into play here.

Droop, as defined by Webster's Dictionary is "to sink, hang or bend down or to lose vitality or to become dejected".

But in the world of rc cars and trucks it means something else entirely. For us it referrers to the amount of down travel or travel above ride height our suspension has.

In learning about rc car suspension tuning droop is another of the key elements of getting your suspension perform just the way you want.

Having your droop set correctly will help you over those bumps, ruts, holes, uneven spots, through corners, braking and acceleration.

Droop's main objective is to help with weight transfer like sway bars. While sway bars only transfer weight from one tire to the opposite tire relative to the amount of load on a given tire. This weight transfer is only left to right or right to left not front to rear.

While droop aids with weight transfer from front to rear and vice versa to maximize traction over the rough stuff and with on-power and off-power steering. With droop having an effect on side to side and end to end weight transfer, it has more of a 360 effect.

It plays an important role in maintaining maximum traction on acceleration, cornering both on-power and off-power, and chassis roll.

A reference guide for different droop settings.
1. Need to reduce off-throttle steering - Reduce rear droop.
2. Need to improve off-throttle steering - Increase rear droop.
3. Need to reduce on-throttle steering - Increase front droop.
4. Need to improve on-throttle steering - Reduce front droop.

Are you running on a smooth, high-bite track - Reduce droop on all four corners. - Keep your rc vehicle flatter.

Are you running on a bumpy, loose track - Increase droop on all four corners. - Let your rc vehicle roll more.
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #17
Tech Regular

I'm sorry Sein, I should have trusted you in the first place! I will print this out and save it for spring!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm sorry Sein, I should have trusted you in the first place! I will print this out and save it for spring!
It's all good brotha! Everything in this hobby is a learning experience.
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I can try that, thats three steps. What is "shorter rear camber" Camber is an angle to me so do I need more or less angle on the rear tires?
Lighter sway bar and less toe in I can do. I will let you know...

I hope I'm not late to the party..

Your camber link is the hiem and turnbuckle attaching the hub and the the shock tower.. it basically serves as your upper arm..

shortening this link will cause it to cycle the suspension quicker.. giving you maximum grip in earlier part of the corner.. so you will basically max out your grip earlier,, this should free up the car..
I would move 1 hole in on the tower.. and 1 hole in on the hub.. reset your camber to -1 and see if you like the feeling.. then adjust as necessary.

You are essentially changing your roll center. and angle of camber change through the corner.. also any time you adjust your camber link you have to reset camber

if this is new, one of the best things to do is go to a practice day.. where you can run all day.. bring a notebook.. tune in. when you get there..

test 1 run a tank.. report problems and feeling. unstable areas..
test 2 adjust something just 1 thing.. but adjust it 180 out from where it was.. if it was top outside camber link on tower.. run bottom inside on the tower .. and repeat. report..
test 3 go back to stock.. oringal settings. change front roll 180 out.. upper arm or camber link.. depending on body..
etc you get the idea..
basically take a day and get a feeling for what changes do what.. will help understanding.. the physics of why it changes it.. and once done you can see the geometries involved .. it will really help.. though you may or may not have this kind of time..

I also recomend reading this..http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
Tech Regular

So just to clarify.
I shorten the camber link but I then adjust the camber so I have the same angle as before.
I do NOT adjust the camber link to get another angle on the camber?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

yep.. put a wheel on your car.. and move your rear suspension up and down as the suspension moves , your camber changes.. this is often refered to as camber rise.. this is the main thing you are changing.. which inherently affects roll center.

you will always want to reset your camber to what you were running.. I never run more than -3 of camber.. -1 is pretty norm..

that site is a wealth all be it a few hour read!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
Droop, as defined by Webster's Dictionary is "to sink, hang or bend down or to lose vitality or to become dejected".

But in the world of rc cars and trucks it means something else entirely. For us it referrers to the amount of down travel or travel above ride height our suspension has.

In learning about rc car suspension tuning droop is another of the key elements of getting your suspension perform just the way you want.

Having your droop set correctly will help you over those bumps, ruts, holes, uneven spots, through corners, braking and acceleration.

Droop's main objective is to help with weight transfer like sway bars. While sway bars only transfer weight from one tire to the opposite tire relative to the amount of load on a given tire. This weight transfer is only left to right or right to left not front to rear.

While droop aids with weight transfer from front to rear and vice versa to maximize traction over the rough stuff and with on-power and off-power steering. With droop having an effect on side to side and end to end weight transfer, it has more of a 360 effect.

It plays an important role in maintaining maximum traction on acceleration, cornering both on-power and off-power, and chassis roll.

A reference guide for different droop settings.
1. Need to reduce off-throttle steering - Reduce rear droop.
2. Need to improve off-throttle steering - Increase rear droop.
3. Need to reduce on-throttle steering - Increase front droop.
4. Need to improve on-throttle steering - Reduce front droop.

Are you running on a smooth, high-bite track - Reduce droop on all four corners. - Keep your rc vehicle flatter.

Are you running on a bumpy, loose track - Increase droop on all four corners. - Let your rc vehicle roll more.

Great info thanks!!!
sluggo_sx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rregl0612 View Post
yep.. put a wheel on your car.. and move your rear suspension up and down as the suspension moves , your camber changes.. this is often refered to as camber rise.. this is the main thing you are changing.. which inherently affects roll center.

you will always want to reset your camber to what you were running.. I never run more than -3 of camber.. -1 is pretty norm..

that site is a wealth all be it a few hour read!
I see and i understand the math behind it all. Or should I say geometry behind it all.
Can you explain why/how this will effect my "slow pace off throttle under steer"
I mean, this is all the back wheels and how does it really effect the steering?
I mean this question will full respect and will listen carefully.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I see and i understand the math behind it all. Or should I say geometry behind it all.
Can you explain why/how this will effect my "slow pace off throttle under steer"
I mean, this is all the back wheels and how does it really effect the steering?
I mean this question will full respect and will listen carefully.

tires are the first place to start... after that you can only tune the front to grip so much before you take away bump handling etc..

by making the rear cycle faster.. it will rotate faster as the rear reaches maximum grip before the front... so basically your rear grip is maxed out and your front grip is still grabbing for more..

I am pretty good at setting my stuff up but not as good at explaining it,,