R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Naw man. Get you one of those SC8's and call Monty for a big block so it can stand up to some of the lip shots you know you are going to do. Big air, sounds like fun but all those parts......
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have bashed the living snot out of my losi 8ight buggy and haven't broken anything. Nothing. 10-12'+ to flat bottom at our bmx trails and rarely a perfect landing (I kinda suck at driving..lol). Not for the faint hearted.

Viewer discretion advised... this is ugly.... http://www.youtube.com/melonpeel#p/u/12/nlvgslU0mGg

I take that back... I did break something once, my buggy vs. a losi truggy at the track... full speed head on collision. Cracked my diff case where the shock towers mount and bent a shock shaft on his truggy.
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgombe View Post
the benefit is more oil in the shock which will take a longer time to break down hence you get a more consistent shock over long mains..

thats the main benefit
More oil in the shock also means more sensitive to changes in temperature. I think bigger shocks are less consistent in long races because the oil heats up more and the rebounds changes.

"Fioroni and HongNor made shocks which were slightly bigger than others, and they worked better. Then Losi made shocks a lot bigger than the others, with 15mm pistons, and they were even better. Suddenly everyone started making bigger and bigger shocks and at some point stopped thinking about how they work. In the past, cars were heavier, wider, and had small shocks, now they are lighter and more narrow, and have big shocks, sounds backwards to me, and I think it is." -JQ

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
More oil in the shock also means more sensitive to changes in temperature. I think bigger shocks are less consistent in long races because the oil heats up more and the rebounds changes.
I think you got that the wrong way round. More oil is more resistant to temperature change and thus stays more consistent. Try getting a quart of water to boil and then a gallon, which takes longer given the same heat source. At some point the size and weight of the shock negates any possitive and it seems we've reached that point.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #20
Tech Regular

everything i have said is just me spekulating, i don't have much experience thats why i asked the question's when he said they wouldn't brake down as fast it made me think that could only be a good thing if u on a big jump track?
nitrozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
I have bashed the living snot out of my losi 8ight buggy and haven't broken anything. Nothing. 10-12'+ to flat bottom at our bmx trails and rarely a perfect landing (I kinda suck at driving..lol). Not for the faint hearted.

Viewer discretion advised... this is ugly.... http://www.youtube.com/melonpeel#p/u/12/nlvgslU0mGg

I take that back... I did break something once, my buggy vs. a losi truggy at the track... full speed head on collision. Cracked my diff case where the shock towers mount and bent a shock shaft on his truggy.
thats not the big air i am talking about. i am going to try and land the jumps.lol
every big jump is going to have a landing jump. it is still going to be a race more technical supercross instead of motocross, i am guessing the races would have to be shorter then average
nitrozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Regardless of what a person may think because we all view it differently, larger shocks are far more fickle to fool with as told by many pro drivers.
While this is a theory based on the pro's, I myself have noticed this on the big bore shocks.
I simply think that shocks are becoming to big as cars become lighter. These 17mm shocks found on the Agama, Hyper and O'Donnell cars are hard to fool with. I found myself with oil everywhere while drilling pistons at the sametime.

But, this is all in my own opionion and I know some will disagree but that's the fun of discussing.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Question: What wit this "jump the best" thing?

Why is this question being asked so frequently?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Every decent kit on the market will launch well, fly straight, respond to throttle/brake in air, and land smooth on the downside. If you want something that can handle a crash from very high altitude, that brand starts with an "L" ...period. Everything else will explode on impact. It also seems to arc more naturally without any attitude adjustments mid-flight. The trick is to dial-in your shocks to not kick the rear over the nose off the lip. If you're building SX style jumps that send you straight up, immediate pitch forward might work in your favor.
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Losi buggy 2.0!!!

I allready try it at my track!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYfp5qgQmw
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Good question

There are a few buggies that jump great, and more that jump good or great depending on the shock setup.

The mugen has long travel shocks the keep their pressure really well. Kyosho has plenty of travel and great shocks too.

the Xray doesn't have a lot of travel so thicker oil helps on landings, but the buggy is really light, so it flies great, and is easily corrected in flight, a big advantage in my opinion....

For big air in any buggy, going to smaller hole pistons than the factory pistons helps a great deal. then depending on the pack you can sometimes go to lighter oil and retain the responsiveness in smaller bumps, yet get through the landings without slamming the ground. Try changing the oil 5-10wt differences until you get a buggy that flies and lands perfectly.

Another thing I do is, our track has a huge quad, is to put one size or two stiffer on the springs in the front shock to keep the nose up over jumps, and a bit higher ride height too just above the low rear, Sagging the rear a bit will prevent the car from bouncing the rear higher than the front off of jumps...

Most cars are under dampned, but not all. So watch your car going over the track, if it bobs and weaves through the rough they may need thicker oil.

you should be able to hit the jump on power, and let off the throttle as you come off the jump and fly level or just nose up, and tap the brakes upon landing to land on the jump at an angle to prevent slamming the ground as much as pssible, but have the setup that can take the hit if you overjump it and hit the flat, better to overjump than case the jump.....

Have fun Supercross guy....