R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Something is slipping!

Quick question, I am new to the sport and recently just bought a losi 8ight 2.0 rtr used from a guy. The car has been running great until the clutch went out on me, so I bought new king headz 7075 aluminum clutch shoes running the silver and gold springs. I take the car out to drive it, break in the clutch, get it warmed up and start to drive it, once the car gets hot it starts to act like the clutch is slipping its revs up really high and sounds like its going a lot faster than it actually is. When I look at the car on take off it looks like the front wheels are the only ones gettin power... they throw rocks and roost everywhere but the back tires arent doing anything hardly, although when I pick up the car and give it throttle all 4 tires still spin. Maybe the terrain I'm running on is just too loose for the amount of punch the 4 aluminum shoes are giving it and I'm just spinning everytime? Idk...i just wanna get it fixed so I can drive my car!!

Thanks for the time and effort
bacchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The set screw to your rear drive has come lose. You have front wheel drive only
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

+1 thats what it sounds like to me
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Okay, so the only thing I found was the set screw that holds the little pin in the end of the driveshaft has loosened up a little bit and was preventing the driveshaft from freely spinning 360 degrees, it could only be moved back and forth one way. As for the set screw holding the driveshaft to the differential, that thing was in there tight as can be. Do you think that the set screw in the end of the driveshaft could have been the problem? Also, if I had only front wheel drive how come when I lifted it up all 4 would spin? Does it only make a difference when its actually driving because of torque etc? Just trying to learn as much as i can about these things so I can fix them on my own!

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchit View Post
Okay, so the only thing I found was the set screw that holds the little pin in the end of the driveshaft has loosened up a little bit and was preventing the driveshaft from freely spinning 360 degrees, it could only be moved back and forth one way. As for the set screw holding the driveshaft to the differential, that thing was in there tight as can be. Do you think that the set screw in the end of the driveshaft could have been the problem? Also, if I had only front wheel drive how come when I lifted it up all 4 would spin? Does it only make a difference when its actually driving because of torque etc? Just trying to learn as much as i can about these things so I can fix them on my own!

Thanks again
i would also like to reccomend switching the silver clutch springs to green, silvers are ver hard on clutch shoes and also can slip unless your in high rpm range.
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes, the set screw can be just backed out enough to slip under load.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check your rear diff! You more then likely have a stripped pinion gear or bevel gear! It's an easy fix it's just a pain in the butt to take everything off the chassis so u can get to it! If it's not the setscrew on the rear driveshaft then it has to be that!
Heritage RC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Quick question, I am new to the sport and recently just bought a losi 8ight 2.0 rtr used from a guy. The car has been running great until the clutch went out on me, so I bought new king headz 7075 aluminum clutch shoes running the silver and gold springs. I take the car out to drive it, break in the clutch, get it warmed up and start to drive it, once the car gets hot it starts to act like the clutch is slipping its revs up really high and sounds like its going a lot faster than it actually is. When I look at the car on take off it looks like the front wheels are the only ones gettin power... they throw rocks and roost everywhere but the back tires arent doing anything hardly, although when I pick up the car and give it throttle all 4 tires still spin. Maybe the terrain I'm running on is just too loose for the amount of punch the 4 aluminum shoes are giving it and I'm just spinning everytime? Idk...i just wanna get it fixed so I can drive my car!!

Thanks for the time and effort
first thing, your going to spend more time fixing and cleaning it then driving it... just the way the hobby goes
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

haha, I have that figured out already... I have definitely been putting in some wrench time on the car so far, it doesnt help that I seem to strip every screw that I touch on the car so my wrench time is x4 on figuring out how to remove all the stripped screws! I got the cleaning down to about 20 min now tho!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
haha, I have that figured out already... I have definitely been putting in some wrench time on the car so far, it doesnt help that I seem to strip every screw that I touch on the car so my wrench time is x4 on figuring out how to remove all the stripped screws! I got the cleaning down to about 20 min now tho!
stripped head screws? buy better hex drivers. then you wont strip them. and dont get cought out by there price points, those expensive ones are just as good as SOME of the cheaper ones e.g hudys a ripp off.

but however the more time you put into keeping it up to scratch anlook after it when you go out and thrash it, you'll have better luck.

if your finding those set screws to come out loctite them.

a good fix to hex screws is to take out ALL 2MM ones and replace them with 2.5mm HEX cap head. so much stronger and make life at tracks(on the run) so much easyer
Driving the best quality cars in the market.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Tech Lord

he has a Losi, all his hardware ( most anyway ) is standard sizes
Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Gets proper tools, ive tried all the cheap stuff out there, the cost you more money in hardware then if you actually spent the money on good tools. Also the screws dont need much torque either except for set screws. from all the tools i have tried hudy is the best, many will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
he has a Losi, all his hardware ( most anyway ) is standard sizes
as james said losi is standard, BUT do your self a favor and grab a 2mm. use this ONLY on set screws, the 2mm fits much tighter which is good on those high torque areas

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Awesome, thank you all for giving me your time and little bit of knowledge! I really appreciate it. Turns out that the problem wasnt the set screw or the pinion, it was inside the center diff, something to do with the planetary gears...hopefully got it fixed!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Awesome, thank you all for giving me your time and little bit of knowledge! I really appreciate it. Turns out that the problem wasnt the set screw or the pinion, it was inside the center diff, something to do with the planetary gears...hopefully got it fixed!
Cool glad you figured it out!
Heritage RC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Me too. Happy motoring

Hey Doug! He said planetary gears!