R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #31
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Be lucky, we have something to race on, whether you are racing on clay or dirt.... I will run them all.

+1 but since i have choices i can choose the dirt i run on but if it dint well i would have to deal with it.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For large races clay, becomign blue groove makes a better track, because you don't have the time between rounds to water, which would eb the only way to keep the track the same for everyone.. And, in order to get a track to blue groove, it has to have water trapped under the surface, even though the surface is dry..

The track I run on weekly is top soil mainly, and when I get the chance to run blue groove it takes me the entire practice and most of qualifying to finally get the hang of it.. My biggest complaint about blue groove is the tire wear.. I usually run a nearly wore out set of city blocks, and run those the whole weekend.. By the time the qualifying is over they are perfect to me for blue groove..

If tires didn't cost $50 for 4 on buggies, and $75 on 4 for truggy I would luv blue groove..

Also, I know some of the larger tracks for club night keep the track watered to help tire wear...
Old 10-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For winter season, indoor clay is king.

For outdoor dirt is where it's at, get a good mixture and it's golden.
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #34
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! View Post
For large races clay, becomign blue groove makes a better track, because you don't have the time between rounds to water, which would eb the only way to keep the track the same for everyone.. And, in order to get a track to blue groove, it has to have water trapped under the surface, even though the surface is dry..

The track I run on weekly is top soil mainly, and when I get the chance to run blue groove it takes me the entire practice and most of qualifying to finally get the hang of it.. My biggest complaint about blue groove is the tire wear.. I usually run a nearly wore out set of city blocks, and run those the whole weekend.. By the time the qualifying is over they are perfect to me for blue groove..

If tires didn't cost $50 for 4 on buggies, and $75 on 4 for truggy I would luv blue groove..

Also, I know some of the larger tracks for club night keep the track watered to help tire wear...

not my track lol insend of water people just use the blower to get the rocky loose dirt out of the way.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boomgagem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
This "dirt" you speak of is actually top soil... or the top 6-8 inches of decomposed organics that make up the top layer of any piece of land that has sat undisturbed for any length of time. This material will hold water like a sponge rather than shed it like a waxed car. The problem with using all "dirt" is that it won't compact to seal out water and create a sturdy base. Any track made from topsoil is temporary at best as it will wash out quickly. I've been an excavator for almost 15 years and if you want something to hold up you must build with clay and compact it in. I've been wanting lately to build a track by combining about 70% clay with 30% topsoil which I think would make a solid base and still be a little forgiving on the cars and the tires.
I agree. Sounds like we're in the same field of work. I actually prefer clay/sand mix. It's a little harder to get it to pack, but not much. We're working on a site job and the dirt we're used for the building pad is perfect. We have extra there, and my boss said I could have it.
boomgagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

X-Fest has Dirt! check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYpFvGhoE84&feature=fvst

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I think my point was pretty clear, i like hard packed clay vs loose dirt. Depending on how loose the dirt is it can be a pain in the ass to navigate. Around here we have a few motocross tracks in the corn fields and they tend to get really sloppy and torn up quickly. Trying to get around tracks with huge ruts in them or loose chunks of dirt laying all over the track is a headache. Try it sometime, you'll see what i mean. It might not apply to a light layer of groomed top soil, but i've never been to a track like that. The only dirt tracks i've been to that weren't hard packed clay were motocross tracks/courses.
All of what you don't like is real off-road racing... I hate tracks that are a complete freeway.

I love it when a track starts to show some ruts and you have to drive rather than just pin it between corners.

T-RCE Slash 4x4 - Kyosho SC-R - TLR 22

Think you're fast? Try racing in Arizona, it's like going to the Nats every weekend...
trx-1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
I agree. Sounds like we're in the same field of work. I actually prefer clay/sand mix. It's a little harder to get it to pack, but not much. We're working on a site job and the dirt we're used for the building pad is perfect. We have extra there, and my boss said I could have it.
Yea sounds like you know what I'm talking about. The light brownish white clay we have in our region, also known as fire clay because it's what they fire bricks out of, is very waxy and will shed water like.... well.... wax. That's great for positive drainage (<-- slang for "sheds water") but it doesn't hold moisture very well that's why I was hoping some top soil in the mix would. I've built 2 tracks locally for friends. One is all clay, very hard and holds up but it's brutal on our toys. The other is 90% topsoil, it never sets up, sucks up water within 2 mins. of watering, and creates a dust so fine that it flows like water. I don't have access to much sand unless I have it trucked in so I'm gonna try the clay-topsoil mix first. Let me know how the clay-sand does for you.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Check out areas that have two tracks, one more hard packed and one that is more rough and loose, and see which one gets more entries. Seems most people prefer hardpacked.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Dirt = Roost
Roost =

Kelly Lunsford kept my stuff light & strong (he's still in a band).
337 Racing Products were always in effect.
rpm1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrozilla View Post
dont get me wrong i def see the benefit of clay tracks and some are really fun to race but what happened to dirt??

In alot of ways i think dirt(a bit loamy and wet) is better or at least funner.

i mean i always thought there was alot of motocross and supercross guys in this sport ???
LOL! I'm with you. I was racing when we used to push the dirt back on to the track, not sweep it away. ;o) I think the consistency of a hard-packed track is appealing to some drivers and those in charge of maintaining it, but I would like to see some nice loamy dirt again. Some of the lesser known tracks in the heartland and the Northeast still run tracks that are much more loamy than the West Coast, but there certainly isn't as many as their used to be. I think the consistency, ease of maintenance (relatively speaking) and the tire technology tends to favor the hard packed tracks as well. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

If you want "dirt" go to Wilkesboro NC, they have a dirt track that changes every lap. It is fun but I'm glad I mostly race on clay tracks. NC has some nice red clay that is super easy on tires if its wet, and grooves up if you leave it dry. Up in Wilkes, they have a sandy mix of river silt with some clay in it. Makes for good racing, and the track doesn't get too blown out but is very different than what we usually race on.
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
X-Fest has Dirt! check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYpFvGhoE84&feature=fvst

Rex
Now that there is REAL racing !!!!!!!!.....tires throwing dirt, truck getting tossed around like a rag doll.

(whispers) but the front of the huge jump is carpeted. LOL

X-Fest til I'm dead!!!!!!
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote