R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I don't enjoy racing in dirt, your vehicle is way too unstable to go very fast and you spend all your time correcting your rig so it stays straight. I mean its pretty frustrating when you are nailing it on a straight only to have your vehicle flip over or veer off into the side rail for no apparent reason. It also keeps the racers bunched up as you have a hard time passing. Imo off road racing is clay or carpet but with jumps, thats what sets on-road apart from off-road, not the track surface. With dirt too many times it depends more on luck than driving skill, but can be fun if you don't care to win.

Then you add the dirtiness to the mix and the cleanup time needed only to be recovered within 30 seconds of the next race. Also if you cartwheel and get a chunk of dirt stuck in your tuned pipe your engine dies and you are done for that race.

All in all dirt is just not the best surface for rc racing, hard packed clay or even slightly loose clay is imo a far better alternative.

?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
This "dirt" you speak of is actually top soil... or the top 6-8 inches of decomposed organics that make up the top layer of any piece of land that has sat undisturbed for any length of time. This material will hold water like a sponge rather than shed it like a waxed car. The problem with using all "dirt" is that it won't compact to seal out water and create a sturdy base. Any track made from topsoil is temporary at best as it will wash out quickly. I've been an excavator for almost 15 years and if you want something to hold up you must build with clay and compact it in. I've been wanting lately to build a track by combining about 70% clay with 30% topsoil which I think would make a solid base and still be a little forgiving on the cars and the tires.
I agree
Mylocal track is about 70/30 or maybe 80/20 and its great. But when it rains hard the dirt will wash away if it not blended with the clay correctly.
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They need to rename "The Dirt Nitro Challenge" to "The Clay Nitro Challenge".

I prefer regular dirt.....
Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
I don't enjoy racing in dirt, your vehicle is way too unstable to go very fast and you spend all your time correcting your rig so it stays straight. I mean its pretty frustrating when you are nailing it on a straight only to have your vehicle flip over or veer off into the side rail for no apparent reason. It also keeps the racers bunched up as you have a hard time passing. Imo off road racing is clay or carpet but with jumps, thats what sets on-road apart from off-road, not the track surface. With dirt too many times it depends more on luck than driving skill, but can be fun if you don't care to win.

Then you add the dirtiness to the mix and the cleanup time needed only to be recovered within 30 seconds of the next race. Also if you cartwheel and get a chunk of dirt stuck in your tuned pipe your engine dies and you are done for that race.

All in all dirt is just not the best surface for rc racing, hard packed clay or even slightly loose clay is imo a far better alternative.
Huh?? Are you carpet racing or offroad racing???
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
lol some of guys are picky when it comes to dirt shoot my track is rutty and dusty and loose its a clay/soil mix . its offroad not onroad i like a dry dusty and loose track it keeps the competion closer and its more fun sliding and its just more of a challege and not to mention saves $$$ on tires.

truggy tires are expensive hell if i want to go though them to quickly.
i have raced on a offroad track that was clay and grippy and the tires dont last which = not good for new people that come to race.

and with a grippy dirt it widens the competion to much if ask me.
I enjoy the track I run on, but I think if given the choice, I would go dirt. I put in bold some of the reasons tc5 mentioned. I get the idea behind having a prepared track, it just seems weird to me some times. When I'm out on my mountain bike, it's different every time...on the same trail. I really enjoy that.
marooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
Huh?? Are you carpet racing or offroad racing???
I think my point was pretty clear, i like hard packed clay vs loose dirt. Depending on how loose the dirt is it can be a pain in the ass to navigate. Around here we have a few motocross tracks in the corn fields and they tend to get really sloppy and torn up quickly. Trying to get around tracks with huge ruts in them or loose chunks of dirt laying all over the track is a headache. Try it sometime, you'll see what i mean. It might not apply to a light layer of groomed top soil, but i've never been to a track like that. The only dirt tracks i've been to that weren't hard packed clay were motocross tracks/courses.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
lol some of guys are picky when it comes to dirt shoot my track is rutty and dusty and loose its a clay/soil mix . its offroad not onroad i like a dry dusty and loose track it keeps the competion closer and its more fun sliding and its just more of a challege and not to mention saves $$$ on tires.

truggy tires are expensive hell if i want to go though them to quickly.
i have raced on a offroad track that was clay and grippy and the tires dont last which = not good for new people that come to race.

and with a grippy dirt it widens the competion to much if ask me.
Actually the competition tends to be closer on high-bite surfaces.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
+100000 you beat me to it..
Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

Quote:

doesnt seem like it to me but thats my opinion though.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (71%+)

I ll take a blown out dirt track any day over a smooth clay track....it separates the men from the boys....and has nothing to do with luck! its one of those things...you have to go slow to go fast.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
doesnt seem like it to me but thats my opinion though.
A lot of people are fast on blue-groove and/or high-bite surfaces. That makes lap times over the field a lot closer and consistent than a slick, blown-out track.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
A lot of people are fast on blue-groove and/or high-bite surfaces. That makes lap times over the field a lot closer and consistent than a slick, blown-out track.

you are, right on that acutally i used to go to a offroad track that was a high bite surface but its less of a challege to me and it wore my tires to quicker but hey diffrent folks like diffrent dirt.

i just was never that good on running on a high grip hard clay surface im just better on a blown out track.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:

jwm2, If you don't enjoy off-road racing, then why do you do it? Per some of your previous posts, the dirt particles don't seem to affect your motor. This is a hobby, not a job. It's your choice as to whether you wanna get in the dirt and play toy cars. Maybe onroad is better suited for you? Just my 2 cents.
golferdude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Be lucky, we have something to race on, whether you are racing on clay or dirt.... I will run them all.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #30
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (71%+)

Amen to that!