R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #46
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by delane74 View Post
i felt more competitive with my 1.0 because they fit my driving better. the 2.0 seems less forgiving to my style of driving, but havent been racing them too long. love to see the 1.0 run with the 2.0s!

i havnt driven the 2.0 t but i can run right with the 2.0 t but i do have to drive somewhat hard but to a limit.

it seems faster to drive it smoother on the 1.0 t even with the flex chassis.

i dont know if you tried this but mess with the bump steer to the smoother setting its good !

have you tried diffrent springs on the rear like the white springs or green ?
i tried the front silver springs and they were to soft with 35 w at least.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #47
Tech Regular

I won last two races i attended so yes, you can be competitive with 1.0T. I haven't driven 2.0T yet but heard that it is much more forgiving. I wanted to buy the 2.0 version but it's unavailible on rcmart and i don't know when it's expected to be ready to ship. Anyone has such an info?

A few photos of my 8T1.0:

Donat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #48
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat View Post
I won last two races i attended so yes, you can be competitive with 1.0T. I haven't driven 2.0T yet but heard that it is much more forgiving. I wanted to buy the 2.0 version but it's unavailible on rcmart and i don't know when it's expected to be ready to ship. Anyone has such an info?

A few photos of my 8T1.0:

nice ! are those white springs on the rear ? do you race on a rough rutty dusty track ? what springs do you use on the front ?

im running the gray springs with 35 w and the black springs on the front with 35 w .
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looks like we started something. Glad to know other people are still running their T-1.0's and doing well. I don't notice much handling difference b/w teh 1.0 and 2.0 buggies, but the truggies are very different. After racing my 1.0 and then a 2.0 on the same track a couple weeks apart, I still like the 1.0 better. May not be a fair comparison since the 1.0 is set up for me, and I didn't do much to the 2.0 except change ride height.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Yes, here in Poland most of tracks are dusty with low grip. I'm quite new to nitro racing (let's say 7... maybe 8 races) and I run almost stock setup. I know it's stupid attitude to racing but i don't want to experiment with setup... It handles so good and is so predictable that i don't want to mess it up.
The springs are stock (front-black and rear-grey) and the oils are stock. The only change i made is the spring tension (i made the suspension softer -> we rarely have big jumps) and changed the ackermann to the short one. Of course i've also changed tires because the stock ones are good only for engine break-in.
This setup works very good for me now and has been working good since i started racing (2 days after the first driving i won a local race - this car is so predictable and easy to drive!).
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #51
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@melonpeel.....the color is Faskolor Fasescent Blue.
What colors did you use on the back?
lowcountrytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #52
Tech Master

Donat, I see the artificial turf in one picture. Do you run on the turf like they do in the UK or is it just next to the track surface?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #53
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat View Post
Yes, here in Poland most of tracks are dusty with low grip. I'm quite new to nitro racing (let's say 7... maybe 8 races) and I run almost stock setup. I know it's stupid attitude to racing but i don't want to experiment with setup... It handles so good and is so predictable that i don't want to mess it up.
The springs are stock (front-black and rear-grey) and the oils are stock. The only change i made is the spring tension (i made the suspension softer -> we rarely have big jumps) and changed the ackermann to the short one. Of course i've also changed tires because the stock ones are good only for engine break-in.
This setup works very good for me now and has been working good since i started racing (2 days after the first driving i won a local race - this car is so predictable and easy to drive!).

oh im using the mike truthe setup it says its for a rough track but im using 35 w front and rear .

so you use the short rack for the steering is your track techinal and tight ?
my track.. is pretty wide open layout im using a 2.0 long rack but its weird that i cant get equal throw on the ride side of my steering ? i guess i need to use more tow out about 2 degress or so.

i did try the short rack on a long track with techinal turns i thought it turned in too much
my track has one big triple which i double.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #54
Tech Master

2007 Truhe stup uses the short Ackerman. I like the short Ackerman on pretty much all tracks with the truggy, esp. with the wide hex hubs. But, I like a lot of steering.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #55
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
2007 Truhe stup uses the short Ackerman. I like the short Ackerman on pretty much all tracks with the truggy, esp. with the wide hex hubs. But, I like a lot of steering.

i use the wide hex hubs i could try the short rack again on the current layout at my track that is a large flowing layout i could use more turn in anyways .

i like steering to but i dont like it when its to twichy but i could mess with the bumpsteer to smooth it out.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
@melonpeel.....the color is Faskolor Fasescent Blue.
What colors did you use on the back?
colors are Pactra outlaw black, florescent yellow, and metallic red.
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the risk of sounding naive, how do you adjust bumpsteer? When I push my truggy all the way down the wheels stay straight. I always thought bumpsteer = bad. Are you mounting the steering rods to the bottom of the front spindles instead of the top?
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #58
Tech Master

No, it's the ball on the steering bellcranks (the pieces the Ackerman plate connects to). There's a long and a short side on the ball. Mounting the long side towards the top is "bump down", opposite way is "bump up". More bump steer isn't always bad. On tight, smooth tracks bump up could be beneficial. Problem is, how many tight, smooth tracks are there after 3 rounds of buggy and truggy qualifying LOL? That's why you see bump down usually. Download the 8ight Tuning Guide from the Losi website, lot of good info in there.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #59
Tech Prophet

Quote:
No, it's the ball on the steering bellcranks (the pieces the Ackerman plate connects to). There's a long and a short side on the ball. Mounting the long side towards the top is "bump down", opposite way is "bump up". More bump steer isn't always bad. On tight, smooth tracks bump up could be beneficial. Problem is, how many tight, smooth tracks are there after 3 rounds of buggy and truggy qualifying LOL? That's why you see bump down usually. Download the 8ight Tuning Guide from the Losi website, lot of good info in there.

yea i dint like the bump steer up to much on a bumpy track its kind of touchy on the steering.

my eight-t 1.0
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0?-snapshot_20101019_1.jpg   Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0?-snapshot_20101019.jpg   Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0?-snapshot_20101020.jpg   Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0?-snapshot_20101020_3.jpg   Anyone still competetive with an 8T 1.0?-snapshot_20101020_1.jpg  

Last edited by tc5 man; 10-19-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
Donat, I see the artificial turf in one picture. Do you run on the turf like they do in the UK or is it just next to the track surface?
It's some kind of a carpet and i'm glad there is only a small part of the track covered with it. I hate this part I don't feel comfortable driving on a low grip track and suddenly entering a high traction corner. The car seems to turn not so well but i can't tell you if the stock setup does it's job because it's too short section.

Photos of my local track (and the small carpet section in the top-right corner of the 1st photo):
http://picasaweb.google.pl/Donateq/F...82648537342914
http://picasaweb.google.pl/Donateq/F...82822794749826

I like technical and tight tracks. And most of tracks in Poland are technical. Thats why i'm mostly using short ackermann (IMO the difference is significant).