R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Fiber vs aluminum clutch pads

Sorry for the newbie question...but here we go.

I have read online alot that aluminum clutch shoes are a must on my RC8. No one really explains why they just say aluminum shoes with 1.0 springs is the most common set-up.

Yet one of the local guys that race a lot of nitro says he never runs aluminum anymore. He claims that due to excess heat and shorter bearing life. He thought that aluminum shoes caused more hurt than help.

What are the benefits or advantages of aluminum shoes over fiber?

Also I see shoes labeled fiber, composite ,PTFE are these all basically the same or are some better than others?

Thanks in advance
utah300rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On my 8 buggy and truggy i run 2 aluminum and 2 composite. Its just what i'm used to. I don't know if one wears better than the other but together they seem to make a good combo. Of course you can only do this if you run a clutch with 4 shoes. Its just a personal preference, try out all 3 combos and see which you like best and what wears the best on your track. You might find that in your setup 4 aluminum works best, or you may find otherwise.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

The fiber or carbon shoes slip a bit more and smooth out the torque for slippery tracks, and the allu. shoes grip better and give the most torque....
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

if you, run a truggy i dont really now how you can get enough punch with a alum/carbon shoe setup inless you really use stiff clutch springs which are bad.

as long, as you file down the alum shoes after a day of racing its fine as for the clutch bearings i can say running hd clutch bearings or tko bearings they will last for about a gallon or less.

since your running a buggy carbon and alum are fine.

as for the heat with running alum shoes it depends on how stiff you set your clutch up really.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can get tripple the life out of a bell by running carbon shoes, aluminum ones just scar the inside.
brandundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandundecided View Post
You can get tripple the life out of a bell by running carbon shoes, aluminum ones just scar the inside.

have you tried the robinson clutch bell with alum shoes you would be amazed ! it does take a while to break the teeth in on it though.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I don't race, but I did recently replace my clutch pads with new aluminum pads and a softer spring. What I noticed is the clutch locks up at a much lower RPM and doesn't slip much at all once the buggy is rolling. As a result the clutch bell is much cooler than it used to be, I can put my finger on it after a run and it's only warm, used to be scorching hot with the older stiffer springs. I just bash around the yard so obviously I am not as picky about setup as the racer guys, but for clutch life alone a soft spring seems to be beneficial because it really reduces the slipping.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
I don't race, but I did recently replace my clutch pads with new aluminum pads and a softer spring. What I noticed is the clutch locks up at a much lower RPM and doesn't slip much at all once the buggy is rolling. As a result the clutch bell is much cooler than it used to be, I can put my finger on it after a run and it's only warm, used to be scorching hot with the older stiffer springs. I just bash around the yard so obviously I am not as picky about setup as the racer guys, but for clutch life alone a soft spring seems to be beneficial because it really reduces the slipping.

+1 that is true but not too soft or it will heat up.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't know about other people, but the aluminum shoes that come with the RC8B were a massive pain for me, they heated up and rolled over so much that my clutch would usually stick on by the end of each day.

For a 3 shoe, the Dynamite Max Life shoes are amazing, last a while yet have great bite with 1.0 springs.

As for bearing life, the buck-a-bearing's that my LHS sells usually go notchy after one day, spend a bit more on better bearings and you'll have no problems.
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

i run all aluminum shoes, 2 blue and 2 7075's, works great for me, large loose in spots track, have run same bearings all year, and still are in great shape after last race last sunday. just have to experiment alittle and find what you like best for your track and driving style. everyone likes differnt. let us know what your likes are when you find out!
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run aluminium shoes in my rc8T and at first they were not working too well. I was not able to get up and over the jumps or get going good when i went back on the gas after a hairpin turn.
When I tore into it I seen the shoes were worn like last time, so I decided to check the freeplay of the shoes on the flywheel pins. They were Sticking!
I cleaned the shoes up, cleaned and polished the pins with the dremel (now there is nice freedom of movement on the pins)and reinstalled on a different engine and they are hooking up great.
I have not rechecked the shoes yet for wear, but guess I will have to in a day or 2 when I have the time, and place. (no shop, just the living room floor)

I will prob. go with a couple carbon shoes as no hobby shops here have any CB's since alum. messed up my current one.
Race Vehicles-SC8 w/ GRP .28 Tuned,RC8T FT-Reedy VR 121 .21, 2035 pipe, RC8B-Reedy .21
http://www.jerrysrcraceway.com/
mgtmadness2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007 View Post
I run aluminium shoes in my rc8T and at first they were not working too well. I was not able to get up and over the jumps or get going good when i went back on the gas after a hairpin turn.
When I tore into it I seen the shoes were worn like last time, so I decided to check the freeplay of the shoes on the flywheel pins. They were Sticking!
I cleaned the shoes up, cleaned and polished the pins with the dremel (now there is nice freedom of movement on the pins)and reinstalled on a different engine and they are hooking up great.
I have not rechecked the shoes yet for wear, but guess I will have to in a day or 2 when I have the time, and place. (no shop, just the living room floor)

I will prob. go with a couple carbon shoes as no hobby shops here have any CB's since alum. messed up my current one.

use a robinson clutch bell i pretty sure they make one for the rc8 there clutch bells can handle a alum shoe setup it will take a while before its done.

i use one on my eight -t.

sometimes i wish i could use a carbon/alum shoe setup but you cant get enough punch with that setup on a truggy and they wont last long.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The AE carbon clutch shoes work just fine on the RC8 in most cases. The majority of the last 3 years Ive used them with 1.0 springs.

The compound of the shoes changes the engagement of the clutch. Carbon shoes slip some which gives a soft engagement. Regular aluminum shoes grab pretty good so they give a hard launch and hard aluminum shoes are somewhere in the middle. The Dynamite hard shoes are some sort of composite mix of (guessing here) aluminum and steel their like hard hard aluminum shoes and they do last a really long time.

The springs change the rpm of the engagement assuming all the shoes weigh the same. A softer spring has less resistance to the centrifugal force created by spinning and therefore engages sooner. Most engines now make pretty good torque at low rpm but a few years ago there were a bunch of engines where running 1.1 springs was useful to get the rpms up as much as possible before engaging the clutch. 1.0s work best for me in most cases but I do use 0.9s if traction is really low.

As far as wear I think the regular aluminums wear the fastest followed by carbon then hard aluminum and lastly the dynamite ones. I do like how the carbons dont mess up the clutch bell. I have noticed that the aluminums dont wear the bell so much as they wear onto the bell. If you sand it down they usually come back to looking new. The bells are steel and the shoes are aluminum so the bell wins almost every time.

Setting up your clutch is a combination of personal preference, track conditions, and longevity. On my buggy my favorite setup is 1.0 springs and carbon shoes and on the truggy 1.0 springs and hard aluminum. Ive tried everything including mixing in carbon and aluminum shoes which is another good tuning option but for the most part I dont use any carbon shoes on the truggy and dont usually like all aluminums on the buggy unless traction is really high.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
The AE carbon clutch shoes work just fine on the RC8 in most cases. The majority of the last 3 years Ive used them with 1.0 springs.

The compound of the shoes changes the engagement of the clutch. Carbon shoes slip some which gives a soft engagement. Regular aluminum shoes grab pretty good so they give a hard launch and hard aluminum shoes are somewhere in the middle. The Dynamite hard shoes are some sort of composite mix of (guessing here) aluminum and steel their like hard hard aluminum shoes and they do last a really long time.

The springs change the rpm of the engagement assuming all the shoes weigh the same. A softer spring has less resistance to the centrifugal force created by spinning and therefore engages sooner. Most engines now make pretty good torque at low rpm but a few years ago there were a bunch of engines where running 1.1 springs was useful to get the rpms up as much as possible before engaging the clutch. 1.0s work best for me in most cases but I do use 0.9s if traction is really low.

As far as wear I think the regular aluminums wear the fastest followed by carbon then hard aluminum and lastly the dynamite ones. I do like how the carbons dont mess up the clutch bell. I have noticed that the aluminums dont wear the bell so much as they wear onto the bell. If you sand it down they usually come back to looking new. The bells are steel and the shoes are aluminum so the bell wins almost every time.

Setting up your clutch is a combination of personal preference, track conditions, and longevity. On my buggy my favorite setup is 1.0 springs and carbon shoes and on the truggy 1.0 springs and hard aluminum. Ive tried everything including mixing in carbon and aluminum shoes which is another good tuning option but for the most part I dont use any carbon shoes on the truggy and dont usually like all aluminums on the buggy unless traction is really high.

well i ran the dynamite hard clutch shoes and i dint like them to much they heat up and slip a lot thats what i notice.

so for a all alum shoe setup med shoes are good i dont notice any slip and they dont get to hot during a main.

but like i was saying the robinson clutchbells for 1/8 are the best for all alum shoes. and the clutch bearings fit good in it

now i do run truggy though.

and aftermarket alum shoes last a lot longer than the stock .
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Use AE part number 89146 with 1.0's for springs.

www.impulse-rc.com
Steebo is offline   Reply With Quote