Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality? >

Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Where's all these cars and trucks made and their quality?

I'm new to rc cars and trucks and was wondering where all of the major mfg. get their cars manufactured?

Looking to purchase my first vehicle I've read up on many of the Losi, Traxxas, Ofna, Associated cars and when I got to XTM I heard comments on "Cheap Chinese junk". I was under the assumption that all of them were made there.
Anybody got a list where they're made?

I know there are many opinions but which are the high quality cars and which are the low quality? Is it "you get what you pay for"?
Thanks for any comments....expo
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most of them are made in China, Japan or Taiwan. Xray is one of the few that is actually still made in Europe. But just because something is made in China, does not mean it's bad or good. There a varying degrees to everything. It seems to me that most of the products made in China for actual Chinese companies are junk while good products come out of there with US or European companies behind it to keep them straight. But there are exceptions to everything.

Everyone says Italian engines are the best and they are but I have seen some complete garbage come out of at least one Italian plant.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

pretty sure Kyosho is the only one entirely manufactured and made in Japan
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pitpop
some of thier "cheaper crap cars" come from china
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

O yes and with a pit man like Codys it keeps up with him lol. Good job and best of luck to Cody over the worlds.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
Kyosho is a global company and they make all sorts of products everywhere, but the MP9 and other race products come from J-town

thanks, we take all the good luck we can get
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
you are right,but kyosho will never admit to it..Thats a touchy subject with them
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Xray wins this one. Made in house in Slovakia.

I have experience with Xray and Losi and the difference is not THAT incredible.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Pick one of the following major brands and you'll be fine.

Losi and Associated have excellent parts support in the USA.

Mugen, Kyosho and Xray do as well.

With any 1/8 scale, unless you have a miracle shop, you'll be ordering most of your parts online. However, look at what a lot of your fellow racers are running and I'd bet the majority are split between Losi and Mugen.

JQ, Agama and Durango are also worth a look; just keep in mind that parts aren't quite as prevalent yet since their cars are "new" to the market at this point.

Personally, I'd hold off purchasing anything until after the Worlds. Expect to see everyone do a few updates to their kits shortly after.

There are a lot of "low" quality cars. Outside of the Hyper9; most all the Ofna cars are less-expensive "hobby" cars. Not saying you can't race with them, just saying it would be easier to start elsewhere (like a Losi RTR).

I left Jammin' out on purpose because the X2 buggy is just behind the times. The X2 truggy can work with a few mods, but is a tank compared to others currently on the market. Excellent durability; just not as easy to be competitive with compared to any of the others.

If this is your *very* first RC vehicle and you're wanting to race; you may want to check your local tracks and see if any of them have a good 1/10 short course program and start there instead of diving straight into nitro (though it can be done with proper research and some local help).
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. It's a world of information to me.

BTW, I'm an RC pilot with 9 planes, mostly 3d nitro and gas so I'm familiar with break in, tuning and rebuilding. I'm not going to the ground game to race, just looking for something to do on windy and cold days. I've got a dozen acres to drive in and don't need a track.

Nitro monster trucks have caught my interest. I've been looking into the Losi Aftershock and XTM Mammoths in 1/8 scale. After reading your posts the lean is to the Losi since they're about the same price.

Since i vacation in the south a few months during the winter, I'd like to take it with me. i've been measuring them carefully to make sure it will fit in a bin on my motor home.
expo
Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by expo
Thanks for all the replies. It's a world of information to me.

BTW, I'm an RC pilot with 9 planes, mostly 3d nitro and gas so I'm familiar with break in, tuning and rebuilding. I'm not going to the ground game to race, just looking for something to do on windy and cold days. I've got a dozen acres to drive in and don't need a track.

Nitro monster trucks have caught my interest. I've been looking into the Losi Aftershock and XTM Mammoths in 1/8 scale. After reading your posts the lean is to the Losi since they're about the same price.

Since i vacation in the south a few months during the winter, I'd like to take it with me. i've been measuring them carefully to make sure it will fit in a bin on my motor home.
expo
I would say losi xxl. This truck is awsome and can take a hard run and come back for more and more. It comes with a great radio and all with it aswell.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Issue there a reason that Japan seems to be the only place associated with quality? Why does a product description need to say made in Japan and that should automatically resonate quality in the consumer mind. Real question here guys.

Or is this "assumption" a figment of the imagination?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Kyosho is a global company and they make all sorts of products everywhere, but the MP9 and other race products come from J-town

thanks, we take all the good luck we can get
I'm sorry, but many of the Kyosho Products, including the MP9, are made in Taiwan. The MP9 is being produced (most of the parts) in the Kingstar Factory in Taiwan. And I know this 100% sure.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bife
I'm sorry, but many of the Kyosho Products, including the MP9, are made in Taiwan. The MP9 is being produced (most of the parts) in the Kingstar Factory in Taiwan. And I know this 100% sure.
Are there any major brands which share the same factory?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by one-eight
Are there any major brands which share the same factory?
not sure but there are manufacturers out there that make parts for several different companies. For instance, Top (makers of great onroad cars) started out making components for many other companies.

Also, I believe all the various engines out there based on the GRP design all come from the same factory. Could be wrong of course. But this is common in the engine market. Look at all the Nova made motors out there with other names on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.