Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lot's of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Lot's of questions

Hi all, I'm trying to get started here in the nitro off-road world. I haven't actually got a vehicle yet, I'm just wondering is there any tips you all can give me on nitro cars in general...Or is the Like a site I can go to and read that basically tells you information about them. I don't wanna just jump in like I did with r/c helicopters because I eventually started to not like them. How did you guys learn the stuff you know? Is there a beginners guide anywhere?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroNewbie88
Hi all, I'm trying to get started here in the nitro off-road world. I haven't actually got a vehicle yet, I'm just wondering is there any tips you all can give me on nitro cars in general...Or is the Like a site I can go to and read that basically tells you information about them. I don't wanna just jump in like I did with r/c helicopters because I eventually started to not like them. How did you guys learn the stuff you know? Is there a beginners guide anywhere?
Get the Losi RTR - then read the losi threads. All the help and information you need will be there and if its not, there are plenty of guys that can help, either on this site the losi site or at the track. If you take you time and do things right you will have a better time.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info man, Do you know where the best place/cheapest to buy online is? I only have one hobby shop locally and they only carry helicopters and planes.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Odds are you are going to break stuff on your first car, at least I did. So my advice is decide if you want to get in for cheap knowing that you won't have top of the line parts but it won't cost much to fix, or if you want to spend more up front and do your best not to break it. I went cheap, got a Kyosho DBX ($220 RTR), promptly hit lots of stuff, broke a lot of parts, learned a ton and ended up putting a better motor and steering servo in it, and I am happy. Of course I don't race, just tear up my yard. My only regret is maybe 1/8 scale would have been better for the tall grass in my yard. If you want to race, start with something better. I used the money I saved on the car to buy an RC plane.

That said, my 2 favorite shops are amainhobbies.com and towerhobbies.com. amain has great prices, tower has more info and you have to lool for coupons for good prices, but you can get good prices with coupons. Both places have great service.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea I totally understand, I have been looking at these things and they aren't cheap What I was thinking is trading my extra ipad for a quality car[I have 2 of them, I was stupid and bought a Wifi...and then wanted a 3G version] So I was thinking trading that for a buggy/truck-I'd rather a buggy. If I can't do that.. I could spend like 180$ on one...Anybody know a good starting car in that range?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Yea I totally understand, I have been looking at these things and they aren't cheap What I was thinking is trading my extra ipad for a quality car[I have 2 of them, I was stupid and bought a Wifi...and then wanted a 3G version] So I was thinking trading that for a buggy/truck-I'd rather a buggy. If I can't do that.. I could spend like 180$ on one...Anybody know a good starting car in that range?
nothing in that price range u would have to over triple that to get anything decent
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you can, save your coin and buy a quality truck.

i did what everyone has done, i went to the local hobby shop, bought a $250 RTR XTM truck. took it out and went home daily with in 1 hour of getting there. you name it. a arms, dog bones, body posts, wing mounts.. you name it. and since i was fresh into it, i had to go to the store for every part. i can't tell you how many times i ended my day to break downs.

saved my coin, and bought a 8T 2.0 roller. i had a .28 aftermarket motor, and i had some average servo's. at the same time i invested in a 2.4 radio, and started collecting common parts.

a arms, body posts, wing mounts.. ect...

just recently! and its been a good 5 gallons on my chassis.. ive never broke anything. just recently i broke my rear ring and pinion. i could of shimmed it, and drove it more, but i just replaced the gears. ive never broken a body mount, a arm, anything. its been real good to me.

so end of story, i spent more on parts on the cheap XTM truck.. nickle and dime parts.. more money on that, then i spent on the losi truck. not to mention the down time, driving to the store, and wrenching on my truck.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea I'm noticing I'm going to have to triple that! I'm a hardware tech...Who is just starting my own business, Most of my money is going to that. Thats why I was hoping to trade the ipad...Someone offered a hotbodies D8 with OS Speed in it, with no electronics... radio, servo's, or charger? Is this a good deal?...Where and what electronics would I need? I saw someone above say a 1/8th scale would be great for playing around in the yard....That's all I really intend to do until I get the hang of it. Is the D8 a good buggy for this? What else would I need besides the electronics? Is there some sort of starter kit or anything?...I know they make them for RC heli's-I'm sure, I'd need some kind of kit with a starter and stuff-right?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

How big is your back yard? An 8th scale nitro buggy is not an ideal choice vehicle for playing around in the back yard. If you plan on hitting a track soon then you're golden...better off learning the wheel with street tires on the road or in a parking lot.

Nitro engines are started 2 ways:
  • some RTRs have rotostart - spinning battery-powered hex inserted into the back of the engine
  • starter box (bump box) - box with a rubber wheel on a motor that you place the car on and push down to bump the flywheel

They use a transmitter and a receiver with two high-torque servos for steering and gas/brake.

The absolute best bang for your buck is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. It comes with everything but fuel and batteries for your starter box and transmitter. And, the buggy, the engine, and the radio are definitely good enough to win in the sportsman class on any track. You can upgrade the servos, the engine, the chassis and a few other parts as you progress with racing. If you're not a racer...the 8ight 2.0 RTR is a blast in stock trim. It's too much for a backyard basher though.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I actually have a very big backyard, Well I'd be in the horse pasture because I no longer have any horses. So I'm looking at about 600-700$ for the losi? If all else fails and I can sell the ipad and just be paitient and save the rest

Just encase I decide on the D8...Is there anyway you can tell me what parts I would need for it? The guy said it does not have electronics...So I'm guessing That's radio, receiver, servo's, and a charger...Is there certain parts that I need? I'd really like to go the cheapest way possible at the momment...Just to get to driving the thing, Slowly! I crashed a 500$ heli by jumping in too fast..I know how servo's work, How to install them and everything(well in helicopters at least) So I'm pretty sure if I could get the parts, I could do the work Then be rolling
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

I actually have a very big backyard, Well I'd be in the horse pasture because I no longer have any horses. So I'm looking at about 600-700$ for the losi? If all else fails and I can sell the ipad and just be paitient and save the rest

Just encase I decide on the D8...Is there anyway you can tell me what parts I would need for it? The guy said it does not have electronics...So I'm guessing That's radio, receiver, servo's, and a charger...Is there certain parts that I need? I'd really like to go the cheapest way possible at the momment...Just to get to driving the thing, Slowly! I crashed a 500$ heli by jumping in too fast..I know how servo's work, How to install them and everything(well in helicopters at least) So I'm pretty sure if I could get the parts, I could do the work Then be rolling
Yeah that's what you need. Transmitter radio, receiver, servo for throttle and brake. Maybe linkage to get those set. Then a battery and charger for the buggy. The radio would use AA batteries out of the box. Bonus for not having to break in the engine on the D8 if that's what you decide. Not any specific parts but just so you know, a radio can be upwards of $400 (comes with receiver). Servos would probably be about $90 each if you buy the better ones. I do recommend buying a quality radio and servos now so that if you ever decide you want to try going to the track you won't be limited by their performance as you progress in skill.

Not to be nosey but is it a member on these forums who offered you that deal or perhaps a local sale? Just asking because there are some Ebay sellers who are not being honest about what they sell.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes, It's a member on this site I got a private message from him. Haven't heard back yet...But it's only been a couple of hours since I replied. He has a decent number of posts username is awdcameolsx
Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, It's a member on this site I got a private message from him. Haven't heard back yet...But it's only been a couple of hours since I replied. He has a decent number of posts username is awdcameolsx
Cool, people here usually have good stuff they've changed out and offload on the cheap.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Don't forget that the price of the buggy is not it. You have to buy fuel, batteries, glow starter, fuel bottle, etc.. so you're going to drop at least $50 or more on suppoet equipment. Add a starter box if necessary for your buggy, I am personally a big fan of pull start for back yard bashers like me.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

I sent you a PM. Might want to check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.