R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Buggy setup for specific track

Hello,

I went to the track yesterday and got many negative reactions regarding my car most of them being true. No shock oils left in shocks, toe in of one rear wheel was different from the other, the same for toe out and camber for rear and front wheels respectively. So I decided to setup the car and go to the track again and fine tune it there.

I don't know where to start and where to finish. Should I use a setup-sheet of an X-Ray (I have an XB808 2010) driver for similar track conditions? I need a starting point. Any advice? Tips?

Thanks
Jaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just go by one of the pro drivers set up sheets (Drake in my case), and tinker from there. I've moved some stuff around but I've found that that set up is really good for my driving style on all the tracks I've ran at. A lot of people say the pro set ups are to aggressive for non pro drivers though so some people will say just go by the factory sheet. But it takes a bit sometimes to find what you like!

www.IERCRaceway.com - www.Facebook.com/IERCRaceway
So*Cal AFDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
I just go by one of the pro drivers set up sheets (Drake in my case), and tinker from there. I've moved some stuff around but I've found that that set up is really good for my driving style on all the tracks I've ran at. A lot of people say the pro set ups are to aggressive for non pro drivers though so some people will say just go by the factory sheet. But it takes a bit sometimes to find what you like!
+1...throw a setup up from an 808 driver OR the stock setup...and just tinker from there...you have to get hands on experience before you start knowing what does what
RcRenew.com and TritonRc.com~Lucky7~Eazyrc.com
Venom-Group~Upgrade-Rc and TrackstarRc.com
deadmancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Tech Adept

How often do we have to rebuild the shocks with new oil etc?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
How often do we have to rebuild the shocks with new oil etc?
Yes sir,go by one of the set up sheets..So Cal is right..you wont have to change much..the most I change on set up is #1 camber setting #2 ride height

I change shock oil about every 4 race weekends..top off the shock fluid and adjust rebound each race day and rebuild when you see fluid in the shock cup.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello,

I went to the track yesterday and got many negative reactions regarding my car most of them being true. No shock oils left in shocks, toe in of one rear wheel was different from the other, the same for toe out and camber for rear and front wheels respectively. So I decided to setup the car and go to the track again and fine tune it there.

I don't know where to start and where to finish. Should I use a setup-sheet of an X-Ray (I have an XB808 2010) driver for similar track conditions? I need a starting point. Any advice? Tips?

Thanks
Shocks leaking seem to be one of only a few flaws with the Xray 808. I had the same issue, so I actually tried all the remedies, didnt really work to well so I switched to serpent shocks.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcion View Post
Shocks leaking seem to be one of only a few flaws with the Xray 808. I had the same issue, so I actually tried all the remedies, didnt really work to well so I switched to serpent shocks.
Is this common to use different shocks on different cars?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Is this common to use different shocks on different cars?
Very much so. I've used the jammin big bores on three other cars, why, cause they work and easy to rebuild.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Jaap, what kind of tracks do you run at?

My 808 had leaking shocks also, this was fixed by replacing the o-rings with these

Also make a small hole in each shock boot so the movement of the shock cant suck the oil out.

Never lost a drop of oil anymore.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by clio View Post
Jaap, what kind of tracks do you run at?

My 808 had leaking shocks also, this was fixed by replacing the o-rings with these

Also make a small hole in each shock boot so the movement of the shock cant suck the oil out.

Never lost a drop of oil anymore.
Thanks clio, I run on dusty medium grip medium size tracks. Is this the reason for losing oil?

Could you please explain more this statement? Also make a small hole in each shock boot so the movement of the shock cant suck the oil out. What is a shock boot?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Hi Jaap, i mean the rubber boot around the shock shaft. (See pic) It is possible that by the up and down movement of the shock it creates a small vacuum so it sucks the oil out of the shock. When you make a small hole in the rubber boot with a hobby kife or something like that a little bit of air can go in and out.

But start with changing the o-rings with the Kyosho ones.

I asked about the track type because maybe i can help you with a setup for your car. But i run on astro turf so that is completely different than what you run on.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Look up Jason Branham's setup sheet for N-Control or RCHQ. Both medium sized tracks with medium traction.
I always tend to base my setups off of what he's running and it works very well for me. He helped me a ton this weekend with my setup. I was traction rolling all over the place and couldn't finish a lap to save my life during practice. I went and talked to him, made the suggested changes, then qualified 3rd for the A main and finished 4th. He really helped me get it dialed.

Also, I assume you are running the stock shock pistons. A lot of the drivers are switching over to the new 10 hole pistons. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Driving the 808 for almost 2 years I will tell you to use the Kyosho shock O rings and your shocks will not leak anymore. I also found the best starting setup was Rocco's starting set-up which can be found on the XRAY website forums and then tweek it from there to your liking
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Tech Adept

1. Does anyone know of an online shop in Europe that sells the Kyosho o-rings?

2. My differentials oil from front to rear is currently 7000 5000 3000. I have heard of 5000 5000 5000, 5000 5000 3000 and 4000 4000 2000 as good setups. Any suggestions concerning the 3?

3. Front suspension is 1/4 and 55 oil rear is 1/3 and 40 oil. Does that sound good?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hello

I have the 08' car, the shocks never leak, but the newer lower caps could need different O rings. Great idea...

From the basic setup there are a lot of different variables changed from driver to driver. If you look on the setup area on the Xray website there is a big difference between setups, but you could get some ideas to tune your buggy.

my personal favorite tuning options...

One size lighter front swaybar. The 2.2 is what's on my car...

1.3 front pistons with 45 or 50 wt oil for smoother landings, and to keep the front end off the ground...

1.4 rear pistons with 35 or 40....

Grey-Blue springs all round.

I reduced the bump steer shims, lowered the front roll center by raising the inside front upper link to the top hole.

The box setup is not bad at all, so a few variations are just different preferences...

I always run 5-7-3, it has proven over time to be the most reliable on a variety of conditions, and most every car.....

Honestly, you guys were talking about different shocks.

I remember someone using kyosho shocks, Just a bit more travel wouldn't hurt, the front driveshafts could be a bit longer if the travel was increased, but probably not necessary. Using the stock shock locations with slightly longer shocks would make this buggy the absolute king of the dirt x 2....

I think a US style conversion kit should be in the works with longer front driveshafts, revised steering blocks, longer shocks, extended motor mount..

I would buy it....