Wiki Posts
Search

Chilling Nitro for better run times

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Chilling Nitro for better run times

Has anyone gone as far as to throw their nitro on ice to chill it before racing? It's just an idea that popped into my head recently. The only issue I can think it would cause is an inconsistent tune. Obviously the fuel would increase in temp over time and the density will change some. The idea seems a bit extreme to gain a tad more run time, but just wanted to know if anyone has tried it.

Also, has anyone tried using a heat shield on their fuel tank? This is something that is done in pretty much every form of professional motorsports and it does make a difference. The fuel tanks on these cars are very close to the motor and it does get hot. If you can block a significant percentage of that heat, you very well could make a difference.

As always, I'm looking at things trying to think outside the box. Never know what you can learn or figure out.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if making it cold is a good idea but I do recall trinity and maybe a few other brands making an insulated fuel jug holder. I think the idea was to just keep it from the sun and getting to hot though. Ive heard of people sheilding the tank from heat from the pipe but thats about it.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

chilling nitro fuel is not really a good idea. the minute you expose it to air(open the jug) it will suck up moisture like a sponge. I guess this would not be an issue if you live in the desert south west. for those of us in humid environments its a totally different story. I would advise against it personally.

There are also tuning issues that will arise as the fuel warms during a race.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I once saw a picture of someone's kit and on the side of the tank that i thought was the fuel line with what looked like a fuel filter/cooler combo. it had several thin fins surrounding the center cavity ( just like a cooling head).

Last edited by guntek18; 09-29-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guntek18
I once saw a picture of someone's kit and on the side of the tank was the fuel line with what was a fuel, filter/cooler combo. it had several thin fins surrounding the center cavity ( just like a cooling head).
They are called gas coolers and some pros use them when racing. It just cools the air going into the fuel tank from the muffler. It probably does increase runtime alittle but its also said to reduce bog after refueling, so its kind of a 2 for 1 deal in terms of how they help.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Exhaust cooler

It added 30 seconds of runtime for me on the plus 4 (I run a tad rich temp 220) which helped and gives me almost 11 mins of run time.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ebay item, who has these ??
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

half the price and work just as good..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXCF7&P=7
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I dont know about those helivaguy^^^^ The strong argument against the gas coolers is flame outs. Be it leaks or whatever. That one you posted above has pieces screwed together making a couple more spots prone to air leaks. They have one piece coolers like the RB one where you can narrow your chances of leaks
Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr
chilling nitro fuel is not really a good idea. the minute you expose it to air(open the jug) it will suck up moisture like a sponge.
+1
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
I dont know about those helivaguy^^^^ The strong argument against the gas coolers is flame outs. Be it leaks or whatever. That one you posted above has pieces screwed together making a couple more spots prone to air leaks. They have one piece coolers like the RB one where you can narrow your chances of leaks
so do fuel tanks with screw-in nipples:.
remove the orings and threadlock the nipples in..they really dont cool the fuel just add a few seconds of run time and why would this cause flameouts??
they should be checking for rod and crank slop,bearings, or compression for flameout issues.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

I fabbed my own gascoolers using alu M10 and drilled a 3mm hole.