R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: mobile
Posts: 1,198
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??

I know 1/8th scale buggies and truggies are fun, but, what ever happen

to 2WD Nitro truck racing. Why did it die out??

Man, what a blast it was. Harder to drive, but, I think more competitive.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,861
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Nobody was interested in "harder to drive", they just wanted to race. Truggys caught on for a similar reason, less marshalling=more fun (even if it was just because guys could drive away from a greater percentage of their crashes).
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
taco94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Conn.
Posts: 1,116
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I know 1/8th scale buggies and truggies are fun, but, what ever happen

to 2WD Nitro truck racing. Why did it die out??

Man, what a blast it was. Harder to drive, but, I think more competitive.
That's just how the RC industry is. Unfortunately, we can't stop how the RC industry flows. Essentially, we are at their mercy.
__________________
Derek T.
Serpent 733 / Novarossi Keep On / Airtronics M11
Falcone Racing Products
"Always support your local hobby shop. Internet retailers do nothing to help you race." - Tom B.
taco94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,861
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco94 View Post
That's just how the RC industry is. Unfortunately, we can't stop how the RC industry flows. Essentially, we are at their mercy.
We don't follow them, they follow us. Nothing they've done has had any effect in the popularity of 1/10 nitro, racers have just chosen not to run it anymore because it's hard, especially on a track that's shared with 1/8th vehicles.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
mark676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I think it morphed into electric.........2wd truck and buggy.
__________________
Mugen MBX6TR/Werks B5/m2c/2058/Savox/Spektrum
Associated T4.1
Thunder Tiger ST-1 (Shelf Queen)
mark676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Tech Addict
 
trx-1racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chandler/Tucson
Posts: 676
Default

Gas truck was the BEST racing, before the quick change rear's came in to play.

In nitro racing in general, the RTR's were how all new racers came in and that was only buggies and truggies... Also, the factory guys putting on new rear tires 3-4 times during a long main made it too expensive for normal racers to compete.
__________________
www.shortcoursehobbies.com

T-RCE Slash 4x4 - Kyosho SC-R - TLR 22

Think you're fast? Try racing in Arizona, it's like going to the Nats every weekend...
trx-1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: mobile
Posts: 1,198
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Nitro truck

Well, this one of the issues that is not part of the R/C industry, but, part of
how man is.

For years, we built cars from scratch, then the kits came out. I thought it would stop there.

I thought people would not mind assembling a kit to achieve the knowledge and the pride to building a car and understanding how to tune the car.

Well, I was wrong. The Ready to Run /Ready to Race industry came out of know where.

Some people are lazy. IF they can't just squeeze the fuel into the little hole, or plug in some batteries, they don't want to do it.

I met a few guys that were amazed at the amount of fun we were having at Rescue Raceway East of Sacramento, Ca

These guys wanted to know how to get into doing what we were doing.

They asked of course the cost.

I explained the kit cost and items needed outside of the kits and what you needed to do with a kit. (OF course, the Kit cost were too high, they wanted a race kit for $100 and the race fees were to high. The wanted to pay like 2 bucks. (When were race fees 2 dollars)

Then I told them about ready to run. Boy. They loved the cost and lack of effort with the ready to run.

I told them sometimes you break things and I said you have to know how to fix it. They both looked at me and said "We will just take it back to the hobby store, complain and get our money back or get another one".

The R/C industry doesn't guide us, we as people with our ways guide it.
Someone came up with the bright idea to create ready to run.

I think Ready to run is stupid. (Lets clarify) Great for the Mfgs /Distributors and retailers who make tons of money from people who want to bash and race but don't want to do if full time. Over time, those people who want to race end up getting a better car / equipment spending more money when they could have gotten a better car to begin with. Now that you have gotten
a better car, you are still knowledge less about setup of engine or the car.
Again, good for the Retailer/ bad for the end users pocket book.


I like the old school way. Start with electric, learn it, race novice, learn how to turn marshall. Win a few, graduate to Sportsman. At this point, you can move on to modified/nitro/gas.

Unlike today, people don't want to turn marshall, and they wan to complain.


Nitro isn't for the beginner. There are many learning curves associated with it and people with ready to run get frustrated.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 258
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

The slash happened.



I miss racing my RC10GT.
FJC 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: mobile
Posts: 1,198
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking The Slash Happened

That was a big factor in this industry.

The economy had nothing to do with it.

When I was racing (pre 2000) If someone said lets go 200 miles to this cool track, 30 guys were saying when do we leave.

Now, I hear guys say they won't go to a track that is 30 minutes away. It's not like they don't have a car, It's not like they don't own speed boats, jet skis, Snow Mobiles (Big Expensive toys).

The lazy factor has somehow kicked in.

And the drama. Whine Whine Whine. Poo Poo.. Poor me.

I say suck up and go race your R/C.

I see less and less people racing. Now in this case, the economy might

have something to do with it. But, here is another issue. People have to

have the latest and greatest. Again, great for the RC Store, but, people are

spending tons of money. I'm not knocking it, because it keeps the industry

going, but, I think it needs to slow down a bit.

i think the hobby stores need to stop fighting against each other and send

customers to each other if you don't have something in stock and can't get it.

This again helps others out. (Not all stores are honest so this can't happen
with every store)

Back to Gas truck

Anyway. I miss the power of these small trucks. Wheelies and being able

to see the cars without having to be on some monster of a track and

squinting to see if that's my track or can i pass there.

It's too bad 10th scale 4wd nitro truck didn't take off before the truggies.

I suppose the other issue is now there are so many cars to pick from.

Before, (Ofna always had 20 1/8th scales Go figure. How many Mugen

copies) there were only a hand full of 1/8th scale buggies, then it kinda went

crazy. How many are there.

Serpent
Mugen
Kyosho
Associated
Losi
Hao Bao
Ofnaa (20 versions)
Thunder Tige
Cen
Hon Nor
hobby tech

And I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.


The above order has nothing to do with who's better, just came out that way.

And of course, whoever wins on Sunday, Sales product on Monday. (if available and not still in prototype phase)
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Tech Addict
 
v6shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bakersfield ,CA
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC 88 View Post
The slash happened.



I miss racing my RC10GT.
slash finished the gas truck off. I also miss racing my rc10gt and rc10gt2.
Attached Thumbnails
What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??-rsz_333.jpg  
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Tony Newland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,769
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Big races killed gas truck.... all they were doing towards the end was rolling all the jumps, it was lame to do and watch.

We are resurrecting the class for indoor this winter, should have a full heat and maybe more if they catch on. AE has the trucks for cheap on their site and everything else is about half the cost of 1/8 scale. Our track is 1/10 indoor 120x60 should be a blast
__________________
Schumacher Factory Team - Core RC - Highest Servos - Avid - Lunsford - Bellgate Distributors - Jconcepts - www.Prime-hobby.com - IRCR
Tony Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Tech Addict
 
Do-Over's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O-H....I-O
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Well, this one of the issues that is not part of the R/C industry, but, part of
how man is.

For years, we built cars from scratch, then the kits came out. I thought it would stop there.

I thought people would not mind assembling a kit to achieve the knowledge and the pride to building a car and understanding how to tune the car.

Well, I was wrong. The Ready to Run /Ready to Race industry came out of know where.

Some people are lazy. IF they can't just squeeze the fuel into the little hole, or plug in some batteries, they don't want to do it.

I met a few guys that were amazed at the amount of fun we were having at Rescue Raceway East of Sacramento, Ca

These guys wanted to know how to get into doing what we were doing.

They asked of course the cost.

I explained the kit cost and items needed outside of the kits and what you needed to do with a kit. (OF course, the Kit cost were too high, they wanted a race kit for $100 and the race fees were to high. The wanted to pay like 2 bucks. (When were race fees 2 dollars)

Then I told them about ready to run. Boy. They loved the cost and lack of effort with the ready to run.

I told them sometimes you break things and I said you have to know how to fix it. They both looked at me and said "We will just take it back to the hobby store, complain and get our money back or get another one".

The R/C industry doesn't guide us, we as people with our ways guide it.
Someone came up with the bright idea to create ready to run.

I think Ready to run is stupid. (Lets clarify) Great for the Mfgs /Distributors and retailers who make tons of money from people who want to bash and race but don't want to do if full time. Over time, those people who want to race end up getting a better car / equipment spending more money when they could have gotten a better car to begin with. Now that you have gotten
a better car, you are still knowledge less about setup of engine or the car.
Again, good for the Retailer/ bad for the end users pocket book.


I like the old school way. Start with electric, learn it, race novice, learn how to turn marshall. Win a few, graduate to Sportsman. At this point, you can move on to modified/nitro/gas.

Unlike today, people don't want to turn marshall, and they wan to complain.


Nitro isn't for the beginner. There are many learning curves associated with it and people with ready to run get frustrated.
Wow.... This is enlightening to a RTR buyer. I see where your coming from and feel like an idiot.... haha After 6 months of constant research on 1/8 scale I thought I was moving along nicely. Now I feel like I have to go back and pay my dues. I will say one thing tho. I'm turn marshaling almost every heat I'm not in and I take it seriously because I expect the same from others when I'm running. I rarely get it tho. I had a 1/10 electric truck 8 years ago but was just a basher. I've always had a love for the hobby but never had the time or $ to chase it. Again, I see where your coming from. After reading this post it makes me want to put my truggy in the basement and go buy a 1/10 scale electric kit and start over. Your right about the frustration too, I've about pulled my hair out and threw my truck a few times. If one was in the hobby for any length of time they'd probably just laugh and say, that's how it goes. Very good post and even as the target of it I feel enlightened by it. Well said!

Rich
__________________
AE RC8T, Futaba,A-Main by Massive Mods, Hitec,
JConcepts, Fastraxx Hobbies, Team Terribles,
Do-Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
Illbreakthat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: With your sister!
Posts: 3,521
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
That was a big factor in this industry.

The economy had nothing to do with it.

When I was racing (pre 2000) If someone said lets go 200 miles to this cool track, 30 guys were saying when do we leave.

Now, I hear guys say they won't go to a track that is 30 minutes away. It's not like they don't have a car, It's not like they don't own speed boats, jet skis, Snow Mobiles (Big Expensive toys).

The lazy factor has somehow kicked in.

And the drama. Whine Whine Whine. Poo Poo.. Poor me.

I say suck up and go race your R/C.

I see less and less people racing. Now in this case, the economy might

have something to do with it. But, here is another issue. People have to

have the latest and greatest. Again, great for the RC Store, but, people are

spending tons of money. I'm not knocking it, because it keeps the industry

going, but, I think it needs to slow down a bit.

i think the hobby stores need to stop fighting against each other and send

customers to each other if you don't have something in stock and can't get it.

This again helps others out. (Not all stores are honest so this can't happen
with every store)

Back to Gas truck

Anyway. I miss the power of these small trucks. Wheelies and being able

to see the cars without having to be on some monster of a track and

squinting to see if that's my track or can i pass there.

It's too bad 10th scale 4wd nitro truck didn't take off before the truggies.

I suppose the other issue is now there are so many cars to pick from.

Before, (Ofna always had 20 1/8th scales Go figure. How many Mugen

copies) there were only a hand full of 1/8th scale buggies, then it kinda went

crazy. How many are there.

Serpent
Mugen
Kyosho
Associated
Losi
Hao Bao
Ofnaa (20 versions)
Thunder Tige
Cen
Hon Nor
hobby tech

And I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.


The above order has nothing to do with who's better, just came out that way.

And of course, whoever wins on Sunday, Sales product on Monday. (if available and not still in prototype phase)
2 things I agree with this.. 1: there is only 2 hobby shops in the city I live in, I run one of them and because the other store deals with Rock Crawling and bashing gear (aluminum goodies from probably 20 makers) I have made the decision to NOT carry this gear. In turn I have become the racing store and he has taken over the bashing and crawling portion. So when I dont have what people are looking for I send them that way.

2: It does matter to a lot of people what the faster person drives, for instance without blowing a ton of smoke in myself I am right now one of the fastest guys here, not because I have the better gear but because I took the time and learned how to become faster. But because of this what I drive everyone has to have. Last year I was running Hot Bodies truggy and buggy and everyone bought them, this year I am driving the Mugen buggy and truggy and now everyone is changing over to have Mugen for next year. I use futaba radios, and OS engines and things havent changed I am selling these products like crazy. So it does boil down to a lot of following groups even though I tell them that getting the best gear wont make you faster you still have to apply yourself to the hobby in order to make yourself faster and happier. (hate to tell them that I am buying THE car for Xmas...lol)

Jay.
__________________
Not much to put here....
Illbreakthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: mobile
Posts: 1,198
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Racing

Don't get me wrong.

I was brought up during a time when everyone turn marshaled.

This was the law of the track. On any given Saturday, when a race was

happening, everyone turn marshaled. We didn't wait for you. Also, when

the mains came, people didn't pack up, race their race and leave. People

left after they turn marshaled or later.

Most people also get rid of their cars. i guess I am a different person. Pick a

a race and I can race it. (Except 1/8th scale Onroad, Core truck and R/C Motorcycles. Core truck, I am getting, the others, no one has or there isn't a place to race on)

I would like to see more racers, and a tighter race schedule. When race day

comes, That day is essentially for racing only. Again, when I was coming

up in this industry, we didn't whine about, Oh I wish this was over at 2:00pm so I can go home.

We were saying I hope this ends at 6:00pm tomorrow. (saturday and sunday)

I've been at a track where there were a few people racing that day. 2 heats and a main would have been over at 12:00pm. I asked for another 2 heats and people got angry. I said, we are already here and we would have gotten out at our normal time. No extra cost. People didn't want it.

Again, Go figure.

Back to 2WD Nitro.

I remember when most people had the same type of engines. Sure there

were different mfgs, but, for the most part, HP and Torque were roughly the

same and it was fun. Almost like fast 19T racing. The truck sure could

take a beating.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plano, IL
Posts: 387
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

To put it bluntly, I want an rc10gt and want to run it as much as possible, electric just doesn't do it as much for me right now.
__________________
Tamiya Hornet OG
Ofna Ultra MBX Pro
Associated RC8B FT
tromoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net