Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing?? >

What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

What ever happened to 2WD 10th Scale Gas Truck Racing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am pretty sure it was brushless technology along with battery technology that killed gas truck I think many people drove gas truck because you could get more runtime than an electric counterpart.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I personally believe its a combination of wanting to run bigger/faster cars and the tracks following suit to adjust to these changes.

As soon as 1/8 really started to take off, the tracks grew larger with bigger jumps to compensate for this transition to bigger, faster cars. Those with the 1/10 gas trucks couldn't keep up so to speak. The tracks were becoming blowout, and the trucks had to roll a good portion of the jumps that the 1/8 were clearing with no problem.

Eventually, the fun was taken out of it and they became display models and novelties. I personally love 1/10 gas truck. Its my favorite racing class for numerous reasons, but its essentially a dead class.

I hope they will be able to bring it back, even as a "vintage" class like they did with the 2wd electric buggies.
turndownwhip likes this.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tracks can easily be designed to cater to 1/10 and 1/8 and if there was a demand for it, that would be happening. ST just isnt popular any longer, electric or nitro.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Gas truck died for 2 reasons...1/8 took off here (usa) when losi released the 8ight and roar stopped supporting the gas truck class at roar nationals.
token and turndownwhip like this.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Short Course Trucks killed Monster Truck and 2wd Truck racing....
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Rookie

I love nitro rc 2 wheel drive racing
rjmakk likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by motomanpat
I am pretty sure it was brushless technology along with battery technology that killed gas truck I think many people drove gas truck because you could get more runtime than an electric counterpart.
Exactly. The answer to this question is to simply go back in time to see why the class existed at all.

An electric Losi XXT with a 12 double motor and 6 cell nicad SCRC pack was a dog. Slow, and hardly 4 minutes of racing.

And none of the guys I knew racing that class, could afford 1/8th scale nitro. RC racing was younger, and cheaper back then, hardly any tracks had 1/8th nitro. We couldn't dump $1500 into a car back then.

Now electric is faster, and every class costs as much of 1/8th nitro. So what's the point? Hopefully the ST guys joined the 2wd buggies, or nitrobuggies.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I recently ran the xxxnt with the electric stadium trucks at our local 1/10 track, and once we found modern wheels to fit it, it was close to dialed!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Isn't it still raced...

You're prolly upset it's a traditionally American class of racing but it's moved on to 1/8th buggies and truggies.

It seems that stadium truck class racing is still quite huge in europe. They race it at club, national and at the EOS. A few companies still make kits for this class.
But this is EP racing.

I used to own a 1st Gen rc10gt and had a blast with it. It's all the good stuff of off road racing + easy to adopt nitro. Power wasn't so much an issue cos it's 2wd and too much power just made driving unfun. I remember people getting away with os CV engines... No probs at all. No need crazy power engines, smooth is better.

A resurgence could mean a more economical entry into Rc, or a lower cost racing

Something manufacturers and players can consider.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Yep!!!!
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Well, this one of the issues that is not part of the R/C industry, but, part of
how man is.

For years, we built cars from scratch, then the kits came out. I thought it would stop there.

I thought people would not mind assembling a kit to achieve the knowledge and the pride to building a car and understanding how to tune the car.

Well, I was wrong. The Ready to Run /Ready to Race industry came out of know where.

Some people are lazy. IF they can't just squeeze the fuel into the little hole, or plug in some batteries, they don't want to do it.

I met a few guys that were amazed at the amount of fun we were having at Rescue Raceway East of Sacramento, Ca

These guys wanted to know how to get into doing what we were doing.

They asked of course the cost.

I explained the kit cost and items needed outside of the kits and what you needed to do with a kit. (OF course, the Kit cost were too high, they wanted a race kit for $100 and the race fees were to high. The wanted to pay like 2 bucks. (When were race fees 2 dollars)

Then I told them about ready to run. Boy. They loved the cost and lack of effort with the ready to run.

I told them sometimes you break things and I said you have to know how to fix it. They both looked at me and said "We will just take it back to the hobby store, complain and get our money back or get another one".

The R/C industry doesn't guide us, we as people with our ways guide it.
Someone came up with the bright idea to create ready to run.

I think Ready to run is stupid. (Lets clarify) Great for the Mfgs /Distributors and retailers who make tons of money from people who want to bash and race but don't want to do if full time. Over time, those people who want to race end up getting a better car / equipment spending more money when they could have gotten a better car to begin with. Now that you have gotten
a better car, you are still knowledge less about setup of engine or the car.
Again, good for the Retailer/ bad for the end users pocket book.

I like the old school way. Start with electric, learn it, race novice, learn how to turn marshall. Win a few, graduate to Sportsman. At this point, you can move on to modified/nitro/gas.

Unlike today, people don't want to turn marshall, and they wan to complain.

Nitro isn't for the beginner. There are many learning curves associated with it and people with ready to run get frustrated.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Holly Crap.. It's been 3 years since I've been on. Still Wish 10th Scale Nitro truck to come back. LOL......
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by v6shooter
slash finished the gas truck off. I also miss racing my rc10gt and rc10gt2.
I had all three nitro versions of this awesome AE truck. The tracks were nice and fast (less air-born time) and the 'fun factor' was amazing.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wd 1/10 Nitro anything would be great. I am a new racer, and I have found that I prefer working on my 1/8 Nitro buggy VS my 4WD 1/10 Electric buggy. The 1/10 4×4 feels too cramped. Generally not as willing to work on the 1/10 when when she needs it. I think the simplicity of 2WD would help (currently on 2wd racing at my local track . Wrenching is a big part of the hobby, and most of the time, very enjoyable for me. And you know what? They should be enjoyable to wrench on!!, especially with the cleaning, maint, tuning that is needed.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I wish Stadium Truck would come back as well. I enjoyed the smaller tracks, fuel efficiency, tire cost and lower cost of operation (parts and engines).
a1 likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Default 10th Scale Nitro Truck

Well, one again, out from under my rock.

I still feel the same about Nitro Truck. The only problem is I have only had my Nitro truck hook up 1 time where I could really push the truck hard. This was tire
related. I had a pretty powerful .12 for it's time in the buggy and it always (except for 1 race) spun the tires. That being said, I put a new engine in the truck, broke it
in, and Nitro truck ended. The Losi XXXNT sits on the shelf with a new motor in it waiting for the day when racing comes back.

That being said, The plastic will be brittle and 1 hit and the arms will fall off. Lol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.