R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbe View Post
Do not go and just try any every fuel at the LHS.

O' Donnel, Sidewinder, Byrons are all top shelf fuels. Remember that each fuel and even blends within the same company require an adjustment to tune.

Alittle dye is not going to hurt the engine period. I have switched to Sidewinder Team-purple from long time use of odonnell and havent looked back in a year.
Not at my store, Byrons and Sidewinder are sitting on the bottom shelf.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)

Sidewinder does not leave any corrosion or discoloring. I have several engines 6-7 gallons old that look close to new. It is also one of the less "Potent" fuels. Its odor is much better than some other brands. A few will literally burn your eyes and nose. Give Sidewinder Strike Team a try!

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJones View Post
We switched from Byron's to Strike purple and have better run times and cooler temps.
This is exactly why I started to run the Stryke formula myself.

The only downfall to the purple stuff is that it doesn't make allot of smoke when you have a good tune on it. I wouldn't say it is "ideal" for a novice tuner.

Now I have run the Worlds Blend also with no issues and really like it.

The BEST advice for what fuel to use, is to find a source that sells quality fuel that is FRESH and CONSISTANT. All of the major brands make a good product, they tend to get bad names when they sit on a shelf or improperly stored. Sidewinder, Byrons, and Blut Thunder all make good fuels, just make sure it is fresh.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHX1550 View Post
The only downfall to the purple stuff is that it doesn't make allot of smoke when you have a good tune on it. I wouldn't say it is "ideal" for a novice tuner.
That's the one thing I'm not liking about sidwinder. This is my first year of nitro, and the lack of smoke does keep me from leaning it out to where I probably should. Lastnight a few of us went and ran at our track, and as soon as the engine gets any decent RPMs the smoke is just gone. My temps were only right around 195, but it was running great so I didn't bother with it.

I'm use to Byrons and Amain. They both produce much more smoke then sidewinder. I will probably go back to one of them, just becasue I feel safer with my tune being able to see smoke coming out of the pipe.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #35
Tech Master

See, to me Im ok with it cause I tune to how it "feels" and sound, then confirm with a good temp gun to confirm. I notice that a typical "smoke" that you see with Byrons, when using the Sidewinder Stryke it just means you are on moderately rich. I just tune till the smoke gets minimal and I seem to land in the 230-240 mark.

The newer Blue Thunder 8 Fuel is like this also.

I seem to get plenty of lube, have torn a engine down with these settings, and there is a good coating of oil on everything.

That is supposedly how this fuel does it's thing, because the more oil there is it generally acts as a insulator and holds heat into the engine.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #36
Tech Elite

I know alot of people switching from bryorns to the purple sidwinder... So it cant be bad.